Insurance Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #11  
RobJ said:
Man don't start!! :D How about a bus load of illegals, bus load of murderers heading to the dead chamber, or a bus load of mother in laws!! :D

Still just as tragic right!!!??!! :D :D

When you get to court, that bus load of murderers will magically turn into nuns and orphans. Happens every time!

jb

/ Tractor Insurance #12  
john_bud said:
The value of the trailer and / or anything that departs during a tow is NOT covered by the normal auto policy. You would need an "Inland Marine" policy to cover the value of the trailer and tractor if it is damaged in an accident.

EXACTLY!!

Get an Inland Marine Policy!!:D

/ Tractor Insurance #13  
In Louisiana your trailer and contents are insured for collision and liability to the extent of your coverage when pulled by your insured truck but ONLY if the trailer is registered in your name. If you have failed to register your trailer in your name to avoid taxes, or if it is someone else's trailer, then it is only covered for a limit of $500.

/ Tractor Insurance #14  
The golden rule of buying ANY insurance is, if you can afford to replace something, don't insure it. Thus, if you're pestered to buy an extended warranty (i.e., insurance) on a plasma tv from a teenage Best Buy associate, dont. If your home, EVEN IF IT'S PAID FOR!, is uninsured make sure you can pay out of your deep pockets, otherwise you cannot afford to be without.
Get it? Learn it -- live by it.. stay ahead of the uninformed and pressure commissioned sales people.

/ Tractor Insurance #15  
I was told before I added my trailer to my farm policy that if my trailer was in my shed and the shed burned to the ground the trailer would not be covered. If the trailer was hooked to the truck and the shed burned to the ground it was covered. I have too say that insurance is only as good as the agent who sells it. I have had a home owners policy and a farm policy for quite some time now. We recently got a new agent same company and after he viewed my policy and looked my place over he said he could make home a farmstead and insure it all under a blanket policy. Now I have one policy and I saved a bunch of money. It upsets me that I have paid all those premuims that I did not need to.

/ Tractor Insurance #16  
Insurance may not be rocket science, but you need to be at least as smart as a rocket scientist to figure it out. Even a lawyer has trouble with the fine print policy language and we as laymen are expected to understand this bunk. Most of the insurance agents dont know what the policy includes either until a claim is filed.

/ Tractor Insurance #17  
As an insurance agent there is a lot of truth in most post on this. It has been about 7 years since I quit with P&C.

Your agent does not have to send it to you in writing, just ask them to tell you where in the policy it states that it is covered and note it and read it yourself. There is some truth, no can be a lot of truth to agents having no idea what the full extent of what they are selling. Some companies do a good job on educating the agent and so do a good job of keeping them uninformed. There can be many reasons why a company mails you the policy directly but one reason is so you don't ask the agent to explain it to you which you have the right to.

This is tough cover accurately on a site that covers many states when so much of this can and does vary from one state to another due to state laws. Also what one company will do on such another may not be able to due to not having authority for that coverage in that state, inland marine being such an issue.

Jumping rabbits a little here...if you have health insurance you buy yourself and you are self employee or just don't have workers comp coverage be sure your health insurance will cover you for on the job injury. Some do not. I can tell you there is a major company in our state who does not and many agent selling their coverage does not know it. Again, ask them to tell you where in the contract it tells that. Hey, don't limit it to health insurance, if you are self employed check all coverages you have. And on P&C insurance, it does not matter you got the policy issued by not telling the full truth or such, when the claim happens they have the full law to NOT cover you if they at that time find it is not accurate. kt

/ Tractor Insurance #18  
I forgot, there is a company mention on this thread that when a person came to us who had them it was due to the way they had been handled with a claim most often. Sad time to find out. Will not name their name for they may have changed. They did hid behind a law that allowed them not to pay a claim if a driver had passed out due to a medical condition if not disclosed to the insurance company. So if a driver did not remember the accident, wow, they had to have blacked out before it so we do not cover it! No joke and they are not the only one. For my nickel in this case you can tell the company by their ads, listen and think what kind of person they are trying to attract?

I am sure most if not all State Department of Insurance Departments will have a web site when you can find the complaints file on a certain insurance company. It normally tells you how many were filed and how they were treated to some degree. If they do not show the percentage of business in that line they have in the state those numbers can be almost meaningless but can still give some indication of the ethics of the company.
kt