Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #1  

beeser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2040
I'm looking to purchase a used chipper/shredder that has a maximum tractor engine horsepower rating of 30. My compact tractor has a 40 hp engine. I can see the need for a minimum horsepower rating but don't understand why exceeding the maximum would be a problem. What problem would there be in using my tractor to run this chipper/shredder?

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #2  
Really nothing to worry about, it isn’t like you are running it on a 120 hp tractor. Does the PTO drive shaft have a slipping clutch or shear bolt? My chipper has a hydraulic feed so it isn’t easy to over feed it, but that is where the shear bolt is handy. At 40 hp you are basically comfortable in the upper range for the chipper so all should be well.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder
Thanks for the replies. The drive shaft does have a sheer bolt. I was wrong about the manufacturer's upper hp limit. It's actually 35 not 30. When I contacted the manufacturer they said I should use their heavier duty chipper/shredder. After thinking about it though I couldn't come up with a reason why the lighter duty machine wouldn't work. I'm buying used and the price is right so that's my motivation and reason for the question.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #4  
When I sold my BearCat chipper/shredder a guy handed me cash and we loaded it onto his trailer about 16 hours after I posted the Craig's List, and he gave me asking price with no haggling.

With the way used equipment is selling, it might be sold before lunch time tomorrow.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #5  
Your 40HP tractor is probably pushing closer to 30 at the PTO.

Chippers see a lot of abuse, expect things to break. I added a clutch to the PTO to prevent damage to my tractor when things on the chipper go south.

If something jambs the chipper your tractor will likely overpower the drive on the chipper i.e. smoke /burn belts etc.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #6  
Chippers can sometimes experience abuse from thoughtless and ignorant owners. But most owners usually treat their chippers with care due to the high cost of investment. The shear bolt provides simple and excellent protection to the tractor. My chipper can handle up to 8" diameter wood, but rarely sees anything larger than 3" as most larger pieces go for firewood. The hydraulic feed chippers make for smooth and fast operations.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #7  
If it is in good condition & priced right... I would buy it... Your CT2040 is only putting out 34.9 PTO HP if it is a geared tractor & only 31.9 PTO HP if it is a hydro, so it should handle it well. Just don't abuse it... besides if you are buying it right you won't lose money if you decide to sell & upgrade. We run a Wallenstein 6" chipper with hydro feed on a NH TC40D which is only about 33 to 34 PTO HP with no issues.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #8  
That difference between the maximum rating of the chipper and your tractor is inconsequential.

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #9  
If you have a multi speed PTO, A larger tractor can work very well at reduced engine rpm.

The MacKissic Chipper Shredder I have (really like it too!) is drive belt limited when it comes to input power.
Replacement belts are a bit spendy though... ;-)

/ Tractor Horsepower for Chipper/Shredder #10  
I had a 8 inch chipper with a similar hp rateing labled as 540 RPM input but I had a two speed PTO drive if I ran the tractor at half the RPM the tacho indicated for the PTO speed I could use the 1000 RPM gear on the PTO and turn the chipper at the correct speed it still worked fine but was more pleasant to work around without the tractor revving