Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #51  
I shouldn't have read this thread yesterday. Right after reading it I went out and started my tractor so I could blow the 7" or 8" of snow we got the night before. All was fine while it was idling and then I pulled the tractor out of the shelter and got about 20' before the problem started. Engine slowed down and revved up and then died. I pulled the water filter and the fuel filter (Spin on) and could see lumps of white stuff in the water separator. Crap! Gelled fuel. I ran into town to see if I could find some Diesel 911 and every place was sold out. I found some stuff called Melt Down that is supposed to do the same thing. I got the tractor started using the procedure on the label and it ran for about 20 minutes then died again. That's when I gave up last night. This morning I pulled the filter and water separator and the separator is full of gelled fuel. Worse than yesterday. I now have tarps and blankets over the hood and 2 electric heaters running under the tractor. The fuel filter and water seperator are in the heated shop to see if the fuel will reliquify. I don't have another filter and everything is closed. I'm going to give it one more try with the Melt Down and if that doesn't work I will have to figure out some way to get the tractor into the shop.
gasoline will dissolve much of the paraffin, often the fuel will have to get above 45F for the paraffin to go back in to suspension in the fuel.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #52  
Edit: in response to Spruce Deere.

Yup, the instructions say to use a 50/50 mix of diesel and Melt Down in the fuel filter. I used that in the filter and the water separator plus I put the rest of the bottle in the fuel. I got it fired up and immediately ran it into the shop to get warmed up. Put an electric heater on each of the fuel tanks and let them running until the tanks were well above freezing. Then ran it out of the shop and did some plowing before attempting a run down the driveway.

All is good and I got the snow removal finished. 🥳

Life is good now.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #53  
gasoline will dissolve much of the paraffin, often the fuel will have to get above 45F for the paraffin to go back in to suspension in the fuel.
Thanks for the info about the temps required to reliquify the paraffin. While heating the fuel tanks I would keep checking the temps with an IR thermometer. When the the lowest reading I was getting was about 50F, I went for it, not knowing if that was the magic temp or not. Got lucky I guess. Now I know and hopefully never have to use that info in the future. :)

A lesson well learned!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #54  
Ironically, today I had the same problem luck had it that I was almost finished plowing. Got the F11 and a F04 error codes. I'm pretty sure its gelled fuel.

Its cold AF here - even tho I added fuel treatment - Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Antigel + Cetane Boost but since below 0F I should have doubled the amount I only used 1 oz shot glass for about 5 gallons -- should have used more. This sucks at least no more snow until a warm up.

I'm thinking of transferring the fuel in the tank out into another can and get some fresh new winterized diesel, clean filters and drain them.

Symptoms were tractor sorta just died and stalled. Turned it off then started back up was ok then started throwing codes and going into limp mode.

Got a few decent engine knocks to go with the rough running. Before I parked it in a place not blocking the drive.

I hope is just the crappy diesel.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #55  
I bet it's just the diesel bobrown14.

Far as the fuel in the tank goes, I would just top it off with fresh fuel with the below zero dose of power service white bottle for 12 gallons, the capacity of the LS fuel tank.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!
I went out again today to blow about 3 inches of new snow at 19F. Tractor ran just fine, no issues. Think the problem is solved!! 🎉

Merry Christmas!!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #57  
Ironically, today I had the same problem luck had it that I was almost finished plowing. Got the F11 and a F04 error codes. I'm pretty sure its gelled fuel.

Its cold AF here - even tho I added fuel treatment - Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Antigel + Cetane Boost but since below 0F I should have doubled the amount I only used 1 oz shot glass for about 5 gallons -- should have used more. This sucks at least no more snow until a warm up.

I'm thinking of transferring the fuel in the tank out into another can and get some fresh new winterized diesel, clean filters and drain them.

Symptoms were tractor sorta just died and stalled. Turned it off then started back up was ok then started throwing codes and going into limp mode.

Got a few decent engine knocks to go with the rough running. Before I parked it in a place not blocking the drive.

I hope is just the crappy diesel.
My experience over the last 2 days suggests that you have gelled fuel and the fix is not easy if you can't get the tractor into a warm place. My tractor ran fine with a mix of summer fuel and winter fuel with temps around -5F but it didn't like -30F. That caused all the problems I've been dealing with over the last 2 days. I sure hope your fix will be easier since the temps aren't as low. However if you can't get the tractor into a warm place I think the only way to get it running, without the outside temps getting warm enough, is to use some kind of fuel additive. I can tell you from my experience that simply adding more Power Service Fuel treatment didn't do the trick. So I found a product called Melt Down that is specifically made for reliquifing gelled diesel and it still took a couple of tries to get it working. There is another product that is recommended for this application, called Diesel 911 and that may be better. In any case my experience suggests that once the fuel is gelled it will be gelled everywhere in the fuel system. So you can treat the fuel in the fuel filter, the water separator and the fuel tank but you cannot treat the fuel in the lines between those locations unless you can figure out where those lines are and use a heat gun or hair drier to get them warmed up. If not, then you may need to do 2 cycles of treatment with a special fuel additive, made for fuel that is already gelled. The first cycle runs the treated fuel in the filter and the water separator plus pulls the fuel from the fuel tank, to hopefully clear the gelled fuel in the lines. But if that doesn't work, pull the filter and separator, reheat and refuel, then run again. That worked for me.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #58  
Glad everyone got their fuel issues resolved.
I use up my summer fuel and begin treating the fuel in November regardless. My temps aren't anywhere near as cold as being discussed here, with positive teens being the norm. We recently went down to 3 deg f, which is the coldest that I can remember.

Anyway, lately I have been thinking about Tier4 machines that have fuel coolers... Anyone have any thoughts on this? It would seem to me that for very cold climates the fuel cooler could be a liability.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #59  
Fuel heaters are your friend on days like that ! Both my diesel pickups had them and never jelled up but tractor and chipper waxed up hard.
1671991544009.jpeg
That was treated with Power service too !
I talked to the pump service guy at the station and he said he had been changing filters all day.
Friend of mine works at another oil company and said they run dozens of trucks and equipment with their fuel and never have a problem. Switched to them and Howe's and haven had an issue since.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #60  
First, glad to hear the issue was gelled fuel and not something expensive.

Second, I smiled remembering all the guys telling us what a waste of money additives are.

I use anti-gel, biocide, and another additive for water in the fuel. I do not care about the few dollars of insurance. I do not put a lot of hours on the tractor but when I need it, I need it. 75-100 gallons of fuel a year is not that expensive to treat.

Living in a remote area of northern MI, it is silly not to be prepared for the worst.