Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #21  
Most likely gelled. My personal experience is when it’s that cold an additive won’t get the job done and you need to blend in kerosene.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #22  
Tractor died while blowing snow? My first thought was a coronary.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #23  
Tractor died while blowing snow? My first thought was a coronary.
Well pretty close I'd say the pump quite pumping!!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #24  
Cloud point for #2 diesel is about 14 deg F, and for every 10% of #1 blended in, the CP drops 3 deg F.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!
UPDATE:

I went to the store and purchased that 911 red bottle stuff. I then filled a 5 gallon can with #1 winter diesel and came home. But before I left the house I decided to increase my chances of having a good day. It took me an hour to get the hood up. The latch was frozen and impossible to get to with a heat gun. But eventually it got unstuck and I was able to get to the fuel filter. There, placed my magnetic block heater and left for the store.

I came back and added the 911 stuff to the tank, along with the majority of the green diesel. I left the block heater in place and waiting several minutes. Then I cycled the glow plugs several times, just to make sure the combustion chambers are warmed up. It fired right up! I let it idle for about 15 minutes while I packed things up. Then revved it up to 15K and went inside the house for late breakfast/early lunch. After about 40 minutes more, I went back out and revved it up to PTO speeds, not wide open, but mostly. Let it run like that for several more minutes, maybe 20-25.

I took it for a drive, to put a slight load on the engine. Nothing was out of the ordinary. So I started blowing the snow again, and it was working... for a bit. Then it started acting up again. It wanted to die, but picked it self back up. After a few more minutes of work, it flashed that same code, but didn't idle down or die. Not until I idled it down, then it died. But fired right back up and no code. That was the last issue. I spent the last hour or so blowing snow. I used about 1/4 tank of fuel. I also forced a regen during this. I don't believe that was apart of the issue, but since it's warmed up and running, why not!?

Now, I know I probably should have changed the fuel filter. But its currently -6F out. If I had a nice warm shop, that probably would have happened, but something about getting fuel on my fingers while playing with the metal filter in -6F weather made me not really want to do it! I do not believe the filter is completely free of gel, water, gunk, whatever, and could be causing the intermittent issue. Over the next few days, its supposed to get up to the high 20s and snow about about 7in total. But after that, we are looking at 40+ and rain for the next week at least. So hopefully the issue is solved long enough to get through to warm(er) weather and I will probably change out the filter. Depends if it keeps acting up or not. I'm 50 hours away from 500 hour service.

Thank you for everyone's help. No one likes the feeling of being shut down, especially when the tractor is such a vital element in surviving winter.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #26  
UPDATE:

Then revved it up to 15K and went inside the house for late breakfast/early lunch. After about 40 minutes more
, I went back out and revved it up to PTO speeds, not wide open, but mostly. Let it run like that for several more minutes, maybe 20-25.
I would say that is your problem. My redline RPM is 2300, I would think 15000 rpms is too high… :ROFLMAO: Especially for 40-45 minutes!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #27  
Glad it wasn't completely gelled and you were able to treat and dilute fuel with #1 fuel!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #28  
I believe a new fuel filter will solve the problem.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #29  
15K is some fast idle!

I'm not so sure the long idle times are doing any good. I would not idle a DPF equipped diesel anywhere near the times you mentioned.

Many use a liberal amount of additives. A trusted diesel tech told me that several diesel training schools are recommending NOT to do that with newer model diesels. Quality additives are OK, but only at recommended dosage.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!
15K is some fast idle!

I'm not so sure the long idle times are doing any good. I would not idle a DPF equipped diesel anywhere near the times you mentioned.

Many use a liberal amount of additives. A trusted diesel tech told me that several diesel training schools are recommending NOT to do that with newer model diesels. Quality additives are OK, but only at recommended dosage.
No, not really. 15k RPM is not that high for these tractors. Its a higher idle, but you defiantly do not want to idle as low as it can go with these DPF filters. They will plug up quick, leading to issues with frequent regens, etc. Its recommended that after a few minutes of absolute idle, you rev it up to about 15K. A diesel engine will run a very long time with no issues at just about any rpm range. I'm not concerned about that at all! I was more after running the 911 stuff through the filter and getting everything all mixed up.

I am also not a fan of diesel additives, oil additives, coolant additives, etc. But cold weather requires them. The engine will handle them just fine. Diesel engines are very robust things that can take a bit of abuse.