Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #191  
I believe most here agree Kubota is #1 and Deere #2 in CUT sales.
What we were questioning is if Kubota held 50% and Deere 25% of CUT sales and the rest were fighting for what's left like a certain member here has repeatedly posted.
Another good one from that same member was that all the other brands combined had like 1 or 2% of the market share. Laughable to say the least.

I have no doubt that Kubota and JD have the top 2 in the US, but 2017 is a long time ago and in that time frame, is exactly where all the other brands actually had a very good growth. For instance, Branson released the 2515 model that has been selling like crazy left and right, same for other manufacturers.

Those numbers may be a lot different on the current times.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #192  
^^^^
It'll definitely be great to compare the 2017 figures with 2020/2021 sales.

While the other brands have experienced enormous growth in the last two years…so has Kubota and John Deere.

I still project that Kubota and John Deere are the top two US sellers but, I’m interested in the market percentage changes, if any

Mike

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #193  
Could you specify what "industry analyst reports" you read?

Who are these "analysts" that you are referring to?
Yengst Associates is the Market Data Analysis firm to which I refer the most. Their data does not come free, a subscription for a small firm starts at $2,000 annually, but I don't pay that. They have monthly summaries of one category in Diesel Progress Magazine. I've been privy to information on particular segments and have found them to match our data.

As I have shown before in this thread, the AEM publishes monthly sales so it is easy for a company to determine their percentage of market share. Here is the latest one available, through November. AEM has thousands of manufactures with Market Share Statistics being one of the primary benefits. When I worked for companies who were members, we had very good data on our own market share but I was surprised at CaseIH to find they had data that would be proprietary - like the cost to build a machine. I knew one person hired by CaseIH who downloaded all the cost information from the company he left. Doing this got Jose Ignacio Lopez in legal trouble for stealing the same info from Opel when he went to Volkswagen, but there is large automaker fraud and ag equipment fraud.

I mention this to say there are many ways, legal and illegal, to determine where you stand. Companies like Yengst are reliable sources. Industrial intelligence (spying) is rampant. The AEM reports for the past 5 years are very interesting showing an incredible amount of data. This is from their website:
"Learn how to gain access to the industry’s confidential market data exchanges for 200+ member products."

Attachments

• 2021 Ag Sales thru November.jpg
    2021 Ag Sales thru November.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 112
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #194  
Also, you have to play everything close to the hip when you’re talking to those guys. They listen to every word you speak, and use it to build internal intelligence so they can figure out what your future product plans are, so they can make long term market and industry forecasts.

Marketing types like to keep a tight reign on them when they’re in the building so not too much controlled information gets out.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #195  
Another piece of the puzzle.

Korea’s tractor and farm machinery maker envisions smart mobility firm

THE KOREAN ECONOMIC DAILY

"
TARGETING NICHE MARKET IN US

Won said the company is targeting a niche market of 20-30 horsepower compact tractors to expand its share in the North American market.

“We plan to raise our market share in the US to over 20% from the current 16% through aggressive marketing promotions and financial assistance,” he said."

/ Tractor Brands Market Share
Another piece of the puzzle.

Korea’s tractor and farm machinery maker envisions smart mobility firm

THE KOREAN ECONOMIC DAILY

"
TARGETING NICHE MARKET IN US

Won said the company is targeting a niche market of 20-30 horsepower compact tractors to expand its share in the North American market.

“We plan to raise our market share in the US to over 20% from the current 16% through aggressive marketing promotions and financial assistance,” he said."
That is quite a bit more than the 1% that keeps getting thrown around. Very interesting, thanks for sharing that article.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #198  
Yeah, these Korean brands definitely have more than 1% for sure. They really grew up in the past couple years or so.

""As of the first half of this year, TYM USA and Branson's sales in North America rose 89% year-on-year respectively. TYM USA and Branson will expand their market share in the U.S. through an integrated strategy that leads to purchase-sales network-marketing." It also plans to diversify its exports by sharing distribution networks in major countries as well as North America to expand more markets in more than 40 countries including the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa."

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #199  
I think the covid supply chain shortage has been good for the Korean tractor companies. People who may have wanted Kubota or John Deere have been more willing to look at other brands that had tractors in stock. The more they sell, the more the more attractive they become to buyers.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #200  
The problem with these press releases and the numbers thrown around is that it’s not clear exactly what 16%, with a twenty % target means.

I think he’s referring to the 20 hp segment, not to all of the markets in which they compete, which probably goes up to 75 or 100 hp.

Same issue as the 50% or 60% numbers thrown out by Kubota. If it’s a tiny subset of the whole market, what does it really mean?

If Deere’s US sales revenue is $20 billion, and Kubota’s is $5 billion, who’s the leader.

If Kioti is targeting 20% of the 20-30 hp market, and that’s a rapidly expanding market, that’s a big deal. If the 20-30 hp customers are moving up to 20-50 hp compacts, and the 20-30 hp market is stagnant...not so much.

That’s really why the manufacturers pay for market share information, though. To identify where to invest product development and marketing money to improve sales and profits, and to generate sound bites touting your company in an effort to convince potential customers that you’re here to stay.

Congratulations, Kioti.