Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #171  
Massey Ferguson makes a really good product. If there’d been a dealer near me, they’d have been my #1 choice.
My final choice earlier this year came down to the Massey 2850M and Kioti DK4510. Both were very similar in specs and features. The Massey seemed a little "nicer" but the $10,000 price difference tipped the scales toward the DK. I was able to buy a lot of "nice" extras with that difference. So far I have been very pleased with my decision.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #172  
Around here it's "Didn't there used to be a Massey Ferguson dealer there?"

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #175  
Like Finn said, manufacturers report their numbers to the Association of Equipment Manufacturers. In turn the members get a summary - so the manufacturers know total and their share but not the distribution of the others. Here is the November 2021 report. Next analysts crunch the numbers different ways like tracking shipments, import records for machines and engines, etc. when I worked for Allis-Chalmers/Deutz-Allis, our marketing department told us percentage market share. Then I moved to CaseIH where a lot more effort was put into market research and our marketing department knew every individual sale made (larger equipment). Then on to Caterpillar where construction industry reported every machine built and shipped. I have read industry analyst reports that in the CUT and SCUT categories, Kubota leads by far with Deere the only somewhat close competitor. Total sales of all the rest don’t match the total of either Deere or Kubota. Whether the analysts are right I don’t know, but finding the info is their only job. Note the numbers and the large sales increase from 2020 to 2021. You might think that with COVID, 2020 was a slow sales year. That’s not the case. 2020 was higher than 2019 in all but one category - self-propelled combines. Analysts believed it was because people had more free time to use equipment and those working also got stimulus money and spent it on foolishness like tractors. So today’s shortage? How could manufacturers forecast these large sales jumps? Not my thought - repeating industry analyst’s statements.

IMG_1162.JPG

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #176  
LS/Kioti dealer told me when he used to sell Massey that they got mad that he added another brand. So he lost them. A year later they wanted him back. Who knows as it was just a dealer story.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #177  
Here, a local Massey Dealer added Kubota. They sold so many more Kubotas than Masseys, that they just dropped the Massey line

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #178  
My local Kubota dealer apparently didn’t have a fancy enough showroom for corporate Kubota. They told him to build a new building with a fancier showroom or they’d drop him as a dealer. He had plans drawn up and was ready to start construction but it wasn’t happening fast enough for corporate so they dropped him.

Now he sells Kioti and Yanmar.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #179  
My local Kubota dealer apparently didn’t have a fancy enough showroom for corporate Kubota. They told him to build a new building with a fancier showroom or they’d drop him as a dealer. He had plans drawn up and was ready to start construction but it wasn’t happening fast enough for corporate so they dropped him.

Now he sells Kioti and Yanmar.
That is funny... I had to look at your location to see if you were from Independence Kentucky, where I bought my tractor. They had been a solid Kubota dealer for years, and while they were in the process of moving/building a bigger shop Kubota gave their franchise to the people that bought their old property. That was many years ago and they have grown to become one of the largest, most successful Kioti dealers in the region.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #180  
Like Finn said, manufacturers report their numbers to the Association of Equipment Manufacturers. In turn the members get a summary - so the manufacturers know total and their share but not the distribution of the others. Here is the November 2021 report. Next analysts crunch the numbers different ways like tracking shipments, import records for machines and engines, etc. when I worked for Allis-Chalmers/Deutz-Allis, our marketing department told us percentage market share. Then I moved to CaseIH where a lot more effort was put into market research and our marketing department knew every individual sale made (larger equipment). Then on to Caterpillar where construction industry reported every machine built and shipped. I have read industry analyst reports that in the CUT and SCUT categories, Kubota leads by far with Deere the only somewhat close competitor. Total sales of all the rest don’t match the total of either Deere or Kubota. Whether the analysts are right I don’t know, but finding the info is their only job. Note the numbers and the large sales increase from 2020 to 2021. You might think that with COVID, 2020 was a slow sales year. That’s not the case. 2020 was higher than 2019 in all but one category - self-propelled combines. Analysts believed it was because people had more free time to use equipment and those working also got stimulus money and spent it on foolishness like tractors. So today’s shortage? How could manufacturers forecast these large sales jumps? Not my thought - repeating industry analyst’s statements.

That lines up with what I have heard from other folks that had the benefit of industry market reports, and it was correlated from different analysts who had come to their conclusions independently. Kubota had the lion's share, Deere in distant second, and everyone else adding up to maybe 20-25% combined.