Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #161  
The new kid on the block is now Mahindra. They managed to upset the market in a short time by out selling John Deere Globally for the #1 spot for new machines.

And Mitsubishi being the controlling interest now in Mahindra. Thus the MAM company. :)

TYM is now a big player too with Branson and Kukje. They are joint ventured with Yanmar and Cummings too. And the outcome is RK Tractors for Rural King.

Kioti is another big player making nice in roads. On more than a few tractor forums, the brand has really picked up daily activity.

LS rounds out the list behind the pack, yet they are reaching the masses with becoming a household name. They too use Mitsubishi engines for reliability since the early 1970s to modern times now.

I believe the tractor market has more players than the automotive companies worldwide.
LS also manufactures some of it's own diesel engines
"LS MTRON"

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share
Copied from the Kubota website. Again no data since 2019 but still claiming #1 for over 10 years.

BX Series Claims: "#1 selling sub-compact tractor in the U.S. for over ten years."
Disclaimer: Based on EDA tractor sales data of under 20 horsepower models from 2009 to 2019
"#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."
Disclaimer: 2020 Progressive Farmer Reader Insights Awards for Fewest Reported Problems Overall in the category of Small Tractor (Under 100 Horse Power). Award based on 2020 Progressive Farmer Readers Insights Tractor Study.

B Series Claim: "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."
Disclaimer: 2020 Progressive Farmer Reader Insights Awards for Fewest Reported Problems Overall in the category of Small Tractor (Under 100 Horse Power). Award based on 2020 Progressive Farmer Readers Insights Tractor Study.

L Series Claims: "#1 selling compact tractor in the U.S. for over 10 years."
Disclaimer: Based on EDA tractor sales data of under 40 horsepower models from 2009 to 2019
"#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."

LX Series Claim: "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."

MX Series Claim: "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."

M Series Claim: "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP tractors in the USA."

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #163  
Scotty you no doubt win the internet crown for this. It amazes me you still have this and in near mint condition after all these years. I have never seen anything like this for sale or elsewhere on the internet. Thanks for sharing again.

Uh, thanks.... I did say I liked lists... And I've been a compact tractor nut for a long, long time - although when I found TBN I also found I wasn't alone.

I contrived to stop by a local tractor shop nearly everyday on my way home from work. I'd help in the shop, read the tech bulletins, sketch ideas, and eagerly collect any new factory literature. I still have a lot of the literature like those pages.

Everything went into a notebook of day dreams. It was my goal to be a Factory Tractor Mechanic someday, but I never quite accomplished that.
rScotty

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #164  
Nice more marketing hype without reference to actual 3rd party findings like JD Edwards or such.

One could say they are right when the brochure says #1 and the model described to the left is it amongst their other offerings. Then yes, I would agree it's #1 within their offerings. Got to love marketing that hypes things. Wait, I've been in the marketing business way too long. Can't disclose our gimmicks to the public masses.

You can read all the fine print in the brochure (or on Kubota's website). For instance, on the L models, it's "#1 selling compact tractor based on EDA sales data of under 40 HP models in the US". I gave a link to EDA up above.

Kubota claims to be Nimber 1, but by what measures? Sales volume? Customer satisfaction? Highest R/100 failure rate? Most dissatisfied customers?

Not sure what they’re peddeling without supporting data.

They also have a couple other #1 badges in the brochure, one is "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP in the USA" based on "2020 Progressive Farmer Reader for fewest reported problems overall in the under 100 HP category". I didn't take a picture of that one since it didn't relate to market share.

BTW I am not trying to take sides here, but they are pretty clear about what they are claiming and what the data source is. May or may not mean much but they are quite specific. Obviously they are cherry-picking facts for a brochure, but I think we can learn something from the market share claims at least based on EDA data.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #165  
Market share seems to be a pretty closely guarded secret. Intuition, Tractorhuse, and number of TBN postings tell me Kubota is number 1, Deere is number 2, and the rest are scrambling for the CUT market in the US. Kioti, LS and Mahindra seem to be making strides.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share #167  
You can read all the fine print in the brochure (or on Kubota's website). For instance, on the L models, it's "#1 selling compact tractor based on EDA sales data of under 40 HP models in the US". I gave a link to EDA up above.

They also have a couple other #1 badges in the brochure, one is "#1 rated reliability under 100 HP in the USA" based on "2020 Progressive Farmer Reader for fewest reported problems overall in the under 100 HP category". I didn't take a picture of that one since it didn't relate to market share.

BTW I am not trying to take sides here, but they are pretty clear about what they are claiming and what the data source is. May or may not mean much but they are quite specific. Obviously they are cherry-picking facts for a brochure, but I think we can learn something from the market share claims at least based on EDA data.

Seeing that the PFR is only 2 years in the running of these surveys, making this a whole new approach, it's really difficult to prove any real #1 officially till these surveys reach a 5 year or 10 year mark to level off and the survey becomes completely tuned for statistical value. This is something a college sophomore in marketing classes would fully begin to realize. It took almost a decade for the JD Powers surveys to level off and become a trusted source. I do hope PFR keeps going with this approach, tuning their methods to benefit us as farmers/homesteaders and keeping the manufactures in true completion all around.

I do like how the article talks about New Holland. Sure they are not the top 2, but the honorable mention still says they got what it takes too. :)

Progressive Farmer Reader Insights Announces Top Tractor Brands For Durability, Customer Experience, And Loyalty

And as my business is into marketing, this Ag site does give a bit more insights to PFR as of 2 weeks ago. :)

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #169  
Market share seems to be a pretty closely guarded secret. Intuition, Tractorhuse, and number of TBN postings tell me Kubota is number 1, Deere is number 2, and the rest are scrambling for the CUT market in the US. Kioti, LS and Mahindra seem to be making strides.
I will add to that price difference between Kubota and Deere is quite huge and most people want bang for their buck. Deere dealers are also notorious for not giving compact tractor customers the time of day. The rest have a real estate problem.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #170  
This has come up several times in multiple threads but finding accurate data is almost impossible for sales in the USA. The purpose of this thread is to try and provide accurate information.

I did find this blog that has some data on request for used tractors by brand. It is interesting but have not verified the source.

Any information would be appreciated.

Massey Ferguson makes a really good product. If there’d been a dealer near me, they’d have been my #1 choice.