Tractor battery issue

/ Tractor battery issue #1  

Redbarchetta

Tractor
Deere 955
Got new batt., but same issue. It will turn over but soon as i turn it off a minute later. Its totally dead no lights dash etc. Sometimes i will get slight power but not enough to start. If i disconnect battery and put terminals back on - i will get power sometimes enough to turn but as soon as I turn it off. I get zero battery again for lts etc To be clear i can sometimes get it too run sometimes not after reconnecting battery. Is this the voltage reg? Key seems to turn fine - where is VR.

/ Tractor battery issue #2  
Search this forum for CLICK, battery,no start,dead or such and you will find enough reading to to last you a spell. I could repeat all of it but I might miss something. :unsure:

/ Tractor battery issue #3  
If it were mine I would load test my battery to confirm it's good as in fully charged and can deliver/maintain cranking amperage.

Next I would check all my connection... I've had a negative cable separate from the lug just by giving it s tug.

I've solved two no crank problems for friends...

One was a motor home that would start cold but never warm... been to dealer several times and money spent for batteries, starter, key switch, solenoid, etc.

Dad's friend was ready to drive it off a cliff... I said let me take a look and went under and asked for jumper cables and he started cussing saying the battery is new... I'm 17 and said just give me the cables and took one clamped to starter bolt and another to frame and it started each and everytime... lack of ground path from frame to starter was the problem and solved with a $2 braided ground strap bolted to frame and starter.

The other was a bad starter armature bushing that had slipped so the starter was drawing tremendous amps mimicking a weak battery because the armature shaft was cocked.

/ Tractor battery issue #4  
Issues sound like a bad ground. You can give the cable a tug where it clamps on the battery end and make sure it's not loose. If it sems pretty snug, look for where the ground cable end attaches to the chassis, and check if it is loose. If not, remove and clean cable end, and underneath where it makes contact with the chassis. Reinstall cable and try it. If it's still a no go, take one jumper cable clip on the ground battery post, the other to one of the bolts holding the starter in. It will have to be a bright connection and as close to the starter as possible, then give it a try. If it starts several times, you have a bad cable. If it doesn't you have other possible issues, although I have seen where the starter mounts to the chassis rusty enough it would not ground out. Either under the bolt heads, and where the face of the starter meets the chassis. But that was on a tractor that had set out in the weather for years. I'd have to guess the majority of symptoms like you described are grounding issues. I've seen quite a few battery cables corroded inside the battery post clamp that looked fine, and under the battery cable sheath.

As far as the VR, your tractor the VR is internal, whether it is a 35 or 40 amp alternator according to this exploded view of both. https://www.weingartz.com/assembly-...or-40-amp-009849-electrical/4275-35293-551319

/ Tractor battery issue #5  
Got new batt., but same issue. It will turn over but soon as i turn it off a minute later. Its totally dead no lights dash etc. Sometimes i will get slight power but not enough to start. If i disconnect battery and put terminals back on - i will get power sometimes enough to turn but as soon as I turn it off. I get zero battery again for lts etc To be clear i can sometimes get it too run sometimes not after reconnecting battery. Is this the voltage reg? Key seems to turn fine - where is VR.
Test the battery and check the connections from battery to starter, alternator, fuse box, chassis and body.

/ Tractor battery issue
Search this forum for CLICK, battery,no start,dead or such and you will find enough reading to to last you a spell. I could repeat all of it but I might miss something. :unsure:
Thanks , yes I spent all day se
thanks yes i spent all day yest searching but couldn’t find same symptoms

/ Tractor battery issue
Tha
If it were mine I would load test my battery to confirm it's good as in fully charged and can deliver/maintain cranking amperage.

Next I would check all my connection... I've had a negative cable separate from the lug just by giving it s tug.

One was a motor home that would start cold but never warm... been to dealer several times and money spent for batteries, starter, key switch, solenoid, etc.

Dad's friend was ready to drive it off a cliff... I said let me take a look and went under and asked for jumper cables and he started cussing saying the battery is new... I'm 17 and said just give me the cables and took one clamped to starter bolt and another to frame and it started each and everytime... lack of ground path from frame to starter was the problem and solved with a $2 braided ground strap bolted to frame and starter.

The other was a bad starter armature bushing that had slipped so the starter was drawing tremendous amps mimicking a weak battery because the armature shaft was cocke

The other was a bad starter armature bushing that had slipped so the starter was drawing tremendous amps mimicking a weak battery because the armature shaft was cocked.
Thanks for taking the time to respond , I’ll be back at it

thanks I’ll be back at it this evening and will report. I don’t think a fuse would be related to the symptoms right? Can’t find fuse descriptions for 955 but my guess would be they wouldn’t work and then not work

/ Tractor battery issue #8  
I have a similar issue with a riding mower. New battery that is connected to a trickle charger that might start on some days, and it might not on others. I think the safety switch is one of my issues because nothing at all will happen when turning the key. Other times it will try to crank, but it wont spin. I've tried jumping it off of my truck with the engine running, and nothing changes. I cleaned all my terminals and it worked great, then it didn't work on another day. My next plan is to replace the cables.

/ Tractor battery issue #9  
Thanks , yes I spent all day se

thanks yes i spent all day yest searching but couldn’t find same symptoms
You spent all day searching the forum, or searching for the problem? What diagnostic actions have you tried already?

/ Tractor battery issue #10  
Ohm out the battery cables. I have seen many battery cable failures where wires rotted inside rubber case. Looked good, but were not.