Tractor Baler Accident

/ Tractor Baler Accident #81  
Getting long hair caught in machinery is indeed devastating, at least in the cases I have heard about. The consequences are tragic. No need to go into details, there is plenty of info on the internet.

I’ve never had to worry about long hair, but hoodie drawstrings scare me around PTO shafts. They’re easy to forget about.

For many people, they wouldn’t make the mistake of not respecting PTO’s and keep their distance; it’s the mistake of forgetting about the dangling strings, necklaces, hair, clothing, etc..
Then again, I’ve watched other people, typically the older generation, who will work around running machinery were I’d almost have to turn away.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #82  
In High School I knew a guy that wore the GI.coats with the long strings . Unloading corn with a 4640 on the auger . Shield was on but not correctly . Beat his head off on the drawbar .

/ Tractor Baler Accident #83  
I'm sure there have been PTO accidents around these parts. Folks tend to not speak of them.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #84  
Not a baler accident but a rear blade accident. Obviously - no PTO involved. Changing the angle, tilt & offset on my new REALLY heavy Rhino 950 rear blade. I wasn't on truly level ground - but it wasn't any type of drastic slope either. I was parked right in the middle of my gravel driveway.

Gravity begin to cause the rear blade to swing. I tried to stop it and could not. It knocked me down and swung directly over my 'ol bod. You have no idea how VERY thin I can get when a 1000+ pound sharp blade is moving right over me.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this could happen. I'm 5' 10" and 220# and no weakling. But flat on my back - there was no way I could stop the blade from swinging. I will never forget this near accident.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #85  
Why dont people keep shields in place? Pretty much solves the problem. My son destroyed my rake shielding. I replaced it to the tune of $300. Aggravating, but worth every penny.

Even with PTO shielding in place, theres still plenty to keep an eye on.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #86  
This makes for some interesting reading.

Yikes! I've done 7 of those. Still doing #23. Slips, falls, entanglement in moving machinery, sharp objects, electrocution, and coworkers... those are the most dangerous things to me.

4 Roofer (working for the mason rehabbing burnt buildings)
5 Garbage Collector (my very first job as a kid)
14 Construction Helper (working for the mason rehabbing burnt buildings)
17 Cement Mason (worked for a mason doing everything)
21 Grounds Maintenance Workers (first job at the airport)
23 Maintenance Worker (at newspaper and my current job)
24 Construction Worker (again, working for the mason)

/ Tractor Baler Accident #87  
My neighbor has a dog that rides around with him on the back of his ATV. It's humorous to see the both of them coming - cross country - to visit me. The dog is either stretched up high looking over his owners shoulder or bent around looking around his owners waist. The dog is good - owner says he has never fallen off. My neighbor is a rancher/farmer - many thousands of acres of open range and wheat land.

However - when the dog goes with this fellow to do any tractor work - the dog knows - he MUST remain in the tractor cab. Unless he is called out. There just aren't enough eyes to keep track of what is being done with the tractor and where is that darn dog now.