Grading Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer?

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #71  
I'm referring to the pict. in post 61.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that old series of 3, made in Japan by Mitsubishi??

SR

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #72  

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that old series of 3, made in Japan by Mitsubishi??

SR

Sure looks like it my buddy had one made in Japan......

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer?
Did you confirm this yourself? The above pict. isn't very big, but that doesn't look like the case from the pict., of course like I said, the pict. isn't very big to see clearly...

SR
I have NOT confirmed this myself.

SR

The photo in post 61 is not the dozer I'm buying, that was a quoted pic from Gmanbart from his previous post.

This particular D3B is a 1983 model (I accidentally wrote 1972 on my first post) and has a 27Y serial number prefix, which means it was built in Japan. I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on WHO built it however. Can anyone confirm the history on this model, or who built it? It would be nice to see something from a trustworthy website just for my own knowledge, for when I need parts in the future.

The blade width is 8', which is the same width as my rear blade, and a foot wider than my box blade. I actually wish it wasn't as wide as it is for building some woods trails.

Isn't she pretty? :laughing: The rusty patina will match the color of my excavator nicely :laughing:

IMG_5580.JPG

I like the USA sticker that says "Build America With America Made Products" right next to the serial number plate that says "Made in Japan" :laughing:

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #75  
I have NOT confirmed this myself.

The photo in post 61 is not the dozer I'm buying, that was a quoted pic from Gmanbart from his previous post.

This particular D3B is a 1983 model (I accidentally wrote 1972 on my first post) and has a 27Y serial number prefix, which means it was built in Japan. I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on WHO built it however. Can anyone confirm the history on this model, or who built it? It would be nice to see something from a trustworthy website just for my own knowledge, for when I need parts in the future.

The blade width is 8', which is the same width as my rear blade, and a foot wider than my box blade. I actually wish it wasn't as wide as it is for building some woods trails.

Isn't she pretty? :laughing: The rusty patina will match the color of my excavator nicely :laughing:

View attachment 652556

Have you tried asking your questions about history and parts availability here ??

Dozers | Heavy Equipment Forums

I good site to use if you are a dozer owner. Lots of Cat knowledge there especially. Some where along reading this thread I saw $4k. That sounds way to cheap for something that says Cat on it. Either it is an absolute steal or that is what it is worth because of condition, maintenance info, and parts availability. Check it over good. Bring someone knowledgeable if you can.

That is about the same weight and size as my TD7G with it's 7-1/2' blade. You will be able to do a lot with it. As said, way more than your tractor and BB. Working out in front of you is so much better. Good luck which ever way you decide to go on it.

WestSlope2.JPG

gg

Have you tried asking your questions about history and parts availability here ??

Dozers | Heavy Equipment Forums

I good site to use if you are a dozer owner. Lots of Cat knowledge there especially. Some where along reading this thread I saw $4k. That sounds way to cheap for something that says Cat on it. Either it is an absolute steal or that is what it is worth because of condition, maintenance info, and parts availability. Check it over good. Bring someone knowledgeable if you can.

That is about the same weight and size as my TD7G with it's 7-1/2' blade. You will be able to do a lot with it. As said, way more than your tractor and BB. Working out in front of you is so much better. Good luck which ever way you decide to go on it.

View attachment 652567

gg

Gordon,
Your dozer looks really good. Have you painted it? I haven't been on here in a while but I seem to remember it not looking so new. That's a great photo, your terrain looks a lot like mine.

I did ask a bit regarding the serial number over on the heavy equipment forum, but I haven't started a thread specifically on this dozer. Once I get it in my possession I may start a thread with more specific questions.

By any chance, have you thought about a small root rake for your dozer? I was thinking it would come in handy for cleaning up something like this mess....

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #77  
No paint job by me nor the previous owner but some one along the line did one. It is a 1990 machine.

I did think about it and while I was I saw one on Uncle Henry's that I couldn't pass up. It is a home made copy of the one USA implements has to offer. He made it to clear old fields then ran out of that type work. Ad said buy at scrape value. He actually dug it out of a big scrap pile with his excavator. Worth the trip to Maine.

FirLoop14.JPG

FirLoop16.JPG

gg

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #78  
Root rakes are handy, but you don't need one to clean that out...

When it comes to dozers, I don't believe much of anything a seller tells me about the dozer, I verify EVERYTHING...

SR

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #79  
When I dug my lake I had a root rake for my dozer. It is better then not having a root rake for moving debris, but it sill pushes a lot of dirt with it when trying to burn that debris. Ounce I bought a grapple for my loader and saw the difference between picking up debris vurses pushing it, I never used the rake again. Eventually I sold it for scrap because I had a trailer full of scrap heading out.

/ Tractor and HD Box Blade vs. a small Dozer? #80  
When I dug my lake I had a root rake for my dozer. It is better then not having a root rake for moving debris, but it sill pushes a lot of dirt with it when trying to burn that debris. Ounce I bought a grapple for my loader and saw the difference between picking up debris vurses pushing it, I never used the rake again. Eventually I sold it for scrap because I had a trailer full of scrap heading out.

I agree about building burn piles from loose debris but if you are looking to take out stumps and roots, small stumps for a small dozer, you cant beat a root rake on a dozer.

FirLoop13.JPG

gg