TPH links won't stay up

/ TPH links won't stay up #1  

tree grower

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1210, Bobcat 742B, John Deere 1050
On my Ford 1700, the bottom links fall to the ground (with no load) within 3 hours of shutting off the tractor. This is a new development. Is there a way of determining if the problem is in the valve or the rockshaft piston without undertaking a tear-down ?

/ TPH links won't stay up #2  
Does your lift have an adjustment knob for rate of drop? If so, shut it off after raising the lift and see if it drops. If it does drop, it's most likely the lift cylinder seal.

/ TPH links won't stay up #3  
If the 3 pt seal hasn't been changed, it is definately the seal. The good news is you can do it yourself by looking up JC Jetro's detailed instructions with pictures. I am sure he will post the link for you. ;)

/ TPH links won't stay up #4  
On my Ford 1700, the bottom links fall to the ground (with no load) within 3 hours of shutting off the tractor. This is a new development. Is there a way of determining if the problem is in the valve or the rockshaft piston without undertaking a tear-down ?

Taking 3 hrs to drop is indicative of a relatively small leak in the lift cylinder seal. In my opinion, it's not something you have to do right away but you might consider planning to fix it when you have some down time on your tractor.

/ TPH links won't stay up #5  
Taking 3 hrs to drop is indicative of a relatively small leak in the lift cylinder seal. In my opinion, it's not something you have to do right away but you might consider planning to fix it when you have some down time on your tractor.

I agree completely.:thumbsup: In operation, a leak this small would have little effect. Heck, I think my loader drops almost that fast when I shut off the engine. However, since the OP seems intent on finding the source, I figured I'd try to help. Once the source is located, I would not worry about fixing it until it became a lot worse.:)

/ TPH links won't stay up
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I shut off the flow adjustment valve, and the links still fall, so we will declare a piston seal leak. As far as the seriousness of the leak, my 850 and 1210 can sit for 3 months without the links dropping a hair. I'd better fix it. Next stop is to JC Jetro's fix-it thread. Details in the repair manual suggest this isn't a big job, but I am always eager to get pointers from someone other than a repair manual author.

/ TPH links won't stay up #7  
3 hrs? if it was 3 minutes I might change it. and if ti was 30 seconds.. then I'd change it for sure.. :)

soundguy

/ TPH links won't stay up #8  
It's only going to get worse, better fix it now before you need it for a big job and it fails half way through. Soon it will start paulsating up and down while you are using it and needing to level something or plow the garden. Just puts more strain on the hydrolic pump and you sure don't want that to go bad too.

/ TPH links won't stay up #9  
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I shut off the flow adjustment valve, and the links still fall, so we will declare a piston seal leak. As far as the seriousness of the leak, my 850 and 1210 can sit for 3 months without the links dropping a hair. I'd better fix it. Next stop is to JC Jetro's fix-it thread. Details in the repair manual suggest this isn't a big job, but I am always eager to get pointers from someone other than a repair manual author.

Howdy and welcome to TBN Blue,

45 minutes of sweat equity, a few simple tools and $10 for the seal and you should be good to go. Post back if you have a question. Just a heads up, the thread is lengthy but it goes thru bunch of good info and many good comments.

JC,

Seal replacement:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/90819-my-f-1700-testing-my.html

supplementary info:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/88973-sos-i-have-my-first.html

/ TPH links won't stay up #10  
It's only going to get worse, better fix it now before you need it for a big job and it fails half way through. Soon it will start paulsating up and down while you are using it and needing to level something or plow the garden. Just puts more strain on the hydrolic pump and you sure don't want that to go bad too.

the pumps pumping no matter what. a lil circuit regen won't hurt that pump. if it did / does.. it was gonna fail anyway..

in any event.. as said.. it's an easy and cheap fix usually...