Towing the tractor

/ Towing the tractor #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I have a Steiner 440 that i need to tow out of a field to my house. I know i need to have transaxles in neutral so as not to damage the tractor. They say to rock the tractor to get it to drop into neutral but doing so is tough since i cannot start the machine right now. Any suggestions? How far can i pull it without damaging it? thanks

/ Towing the tractor #2  
I have no knowledge of a Steiner tractor. However, what do "they" say about towing it. Suggest talking to your local Steiner dealer or call nearest dealer for advice. My advice - pull it up on a trailer and trailer it home.

/ Towing the tractor #3  
Rocking back and forth can be done by hand with another person helping you. It doesn't have to rock very much. You can also steer back and forth to do the same thing. You cannot pull the tractor ANY distance while in gear without the possibility of causing damage.

/ Towing the tractor
I think I am going to leave it where it is and just fix it there instead of trying to tow it to my house. I have to replace a radiator fan and some other stuff. Hopefully I can do it myself.

/ Towing the tractor #5  
don't you have the book it tells you how to do it, if I remember it is very simple rocking it a little with one wheel just makes it easy to get in neutral. Very similar to turning out hubs on a 4 wheel drive ....... Jim