Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti..

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I like to weld with the torch, and got to wondering just what metals can be successfully torch welded. I've got several torches, a lot a nozzles, inert gas (from the tig setup), and a variety of fluxes.
What I'd be looking for is a good-looking and structurally usable weld. As good as could be.

Does anyone do any of this type of torch welding anymore? Or did they ever? Anyone know references or have some good tips?

Thanks,
rScotty

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #2  
It's a fun process, ( torch ) Time ago I used to sell filler metals for Soldering, Brazing and Welding. I still have a lot of the suff. Silvers, Nickel Silvers, Silicon Bronzes, Steel rods for welding and several Aluminum joining products. It was my 1st love as far as real interest goes. I have some nickel bronze rods that you can braze overhead with no drip. I have some aluminum repair material that joins so strong that you can smash the part with a vise and the material tears before the joint fails. There are a lot of cool products out there but many are getting deep six'd from weak sales. I was a Rep for JW Harris- Harris Welco for years until Lincoln bought the company and deleted a lot of the products. They were only interested in the Aluminum welding wire extruders in house. They never cared about the silver or bronze products. I still mess with the stuff from time to time.

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #3  
Here is one example.

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #4  
If you have the time you can learn a thing or two here:

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #5  
Truly a lost Art . My Dad torch welded a entire rear 1/4 panel on my old '59 Ford 2 door using nothing but bailing wire . Once ground down , the weld was almost invisible . I never had the " Touch " to gas weld , thus I doubt I could tig either . Something about feeding the rod into the puddle with one hand and movong torch with other is beyond My thinking process . Kind of like walking and chewing gum . :confused3:

Fred H.

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #6  
Truly a lost Art . My Dad torch welded a entire rear 1/4 panel on my old '59 Ford 2 door using nothing but bailing wire . Once ground down , the weld was almost invisible . I never had the " Touch " to gas weld , thus I doubt I could tig either . Something about feeding the rod into the puddle with one hand and movong torch with other is beyond My thinking process . Kind of like walking and chewing gum . :confused3:

Fred H.

It's just plain too easy and cheap to do it newer ways. Then there's the ridiculous prices outfits like Airgas have started charging for gassed. Outfits like that keep coming i whenever a Mom n Pop shop closes the owner retires or gets bought out. When you get pricing like they use weekend warriors simply switch. Too bad.

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti..
I'm pretty good with the torch and with using careful heat control in traditional metals like steel, brass, & bronze. Here's a sample that's about 1.5" tall - measured inside the ring.
The plan for next week is to play with some aluminum and see if it can be made to work as well. It ought to be fun; don't know why I've never tried aluminum or stainless before.
I'm grateful for any and all hints - and thanks for the links to the videos.
rScotty

Attachments

• Sandra's Replacement 12_12.JPG
    Sandra's Replacement 12_12.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
   / Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #8  
I'm pretty good with the torch and with using careful heat control in traditional metals like steel, brass, & bronze. Here's a sample that's about 1.5" tall - measured inside the ring.
The plan for next week is to play with some aluminum and see if it can be made to work as well. It ought to be fun; don't know why I've never tried aluminum or stainless before.
rScotty

Yeah! I will say "pretty good" too! And then some.
Dang, you are an artist with a torch. :)

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #9  
rScotty

Looks cool, what metal/s did you use for that piece?

/ Torch Welding Other Metals: Bronze, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Cast Iron, Ti.. #10  
Another aluminum torch brazing rod is simply an aluminum stick electrode. While you can actually use tham as a stick electrode with a couple tricks and a little high speed practice, The aluminum stick rods make lovely flux coated brazing rods and I think they work better for brazing than for stick. Everyone knows that aluminums and aluminum can be fickle but this will work for you. 3/32 or 1/8 depending on material thickness. If you braze cast with Kast-Weld 111 try doing it with the flux that is not always needed but available. Be sure to wrap a few wraps of copper speaker wire around the sticks. Seems like it flows and sticks better. Good luck !!