Top & Tilt valve with joystick?

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I was about to copy Number9l's nice looking install until I saw that the Prince valve he used apparently sucks pretty bad & has a lot of internal leakage.

I've ordered my TnT cylinders from Fit Rite already & am trying to figure out what to do now for valving as I wait for the couple of weeks of lead time on the cylinders. Brian is recommending Bucher valves, but they don't have an option to mount a joystick on them. There is a remote cabled joystick option apparently, but I haven't seen any specs, photos, or prices yet.

If I can find a good valve at a reasonable price I'd prefer to go with a joystick rather than levers, but am coming to the realization it might not be in my budget. I'm looking for a 3 spool unit, 2 with float for TnT & a 3rd valve for generic future usage. Anybody have any good recommendations for something that fits my needs & isn't going to leak like sieve as Number9l's Prince apparently does?

Last edited:
   / Top & Tilt valve with joystick? #2  
Fallon,
Typically in hydraulic valves good quality and reasonable price are subjective. Husco is known for decent quality valves but your check book may not think they are reasonable cost. If you are not using the float feature P.O. Checks will eliminate the leakage concern.

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick? #3  
I was about to copy Number9l's nice looking install until I saw that the Prince valve he used apparently sucks pretty bad & has a lot of internal leakage.

I've ordered my TnT cylinders from Fit Rite already & am trying to figure out what to do now for valving as I wait for the couple of weeks of lead time on the cylinders. Brian is recommending Bucher valves, but they don't have an option to mount a joystick on them. There is a remote cabled joystick option apparently, but I haven't seen any specs, photos, or prices yet.

If I can find a good valve at a reasonable price I'd prefer to go with a joystick rather than levers, but am coming to the realization it might not be in my budget. I'm looking for a 3 spool unit, 2 with float for TnT & a 3rd valve for generic future usage. Anybody have any good recommendations for something that fits my needs & isn't going to leak like sieve as Number9l's Prince apparently does?

I would not say Prince valve suck because one person had some troubles.

There may be a good reason for any leakage.

Those valves have lots of o-rings, and if you don't place them right, they will leak.

You do know you can put external floats on any hyd circuit.

He used an SV valve, but Prince also has series 20 stack valves.

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick?
You do know you can put external floats on any hyd circuit.

He used an SV valve, but Prince also has series 20 stack valves.

Didn't know that, will have to do some more research. But then again I didn't know the difference between open center, closed center & power beyond a month ago. Been doing a lot of reading on the subject, mostly here on TBN (thanks for all the knowledge & education).

I've been following his thread & lastly I saw he was thinking the leakage was within the manufacturers specs.

Have you seen the Prince series 20 stack valves perform well in this application?

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick? #6  
Fallon,
All spool valves leak by design. Some leak more that others. I don't know of any valve company that publishes leakage rates. Like JJ stated, Prince makes a lot of valves and I am quite sure that some leak less than others. A friend of mine used to work for Case building the back hoe valves. These valves had matched spools with bores to insure the leakage rate was within spec before the valve was ever installed on the hoe. I believe the tolerances where around .0002" This type of precision machining is getting less expensive with the advance of machining capabilities but it is still not free.

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick?
I understand nothing is perfect. I'd been trying to find internal leakage specs for various valves so I could compare apples to apples, but as you guys have mentioned, nobody seems to publish this data.

I do plan on using the float functions, so the double piloted valves on the cylinders wouldn't be an option if I wanted float.

I don't think the Prince 20 stack would be the best. My L3200 puts out 6.5gpm (10.5 including steering on a separate pump, but not relevant for this discussion). From my understanding I'd loose all feathering ability unless the GPM rating on the valve is in the same ballpark as my pump.

Being a nerd, I'm good at research, but am being thwarted by a lack of relevant apples to apples data I can research in relation to quality (internal leakage). I'll keep digging & trying to figure out what I need to know to research further.

/ Top & Tilt valve with joystick? #8  
I understand nothing is perfect. I'd been trying to find internal leakage specs for various valves so I could compare apples to apples, but as you guys have mentioned, nobody seems to publish this data.

I do plan on using the float functions, so the double piloted valves on the cylinders wouldn't be an option if I wanted float.

I don't think the Prince 20 stack would be the best. My L3200 puts out 6.5gpm (10.5 including steering on a separate pump, but not relevant for this discussion). From my understanding I'd loose all feathering ability unless the GPM rating on the valve is in the same ballpark as my pump.

Being a nerd, I'm good at research, but am being thwarted by a lack of relevant apples to apples data I can research in relation to quality (internal leakage). I'll keep digging & trying to figure out what I need to know to research further.

Something that you should keep in mind, just because a company has x y or z tolerances does not indicate that those are what they normally have. If the valves that I sell leaked as bad as what they allow for, I would not sell them. But they don't, they hold their tolerances much better and have fewer problems than others. I just don't have the style of valve that you are looking for is all. :(