Top link

/ Top link #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
Hi all,

I bought a new top link from TSC a bit ago, and they had a grab bar taped to the side. Like this:

TL.jpg

The ends are flared out a bit, and it won't go directly into the hole. Is there a trick to getting the bar put on?

/ Top link #2  
You just hammer it into that hole in the middle.

Ralph

/ Top link #3  
jsut force it in, you don't want it too losse or it will fall out. if it was me i would gring the ends so in slips in and then only put it in when you need it

/ Top link #4  
QoS, Here's what works for me:

1) Try each end of the turning handle for fit in each of the center body's holes, usually one fits better than the others. Don't expect it to go in very far, as the ends are 'upset' to be retained once it's fitted.

2) Select the match that fits best, as that can save you some grief with misalignment. Place the body on a solid work surface. Best= If you have access to a large vice, open the jaws up about 1.25"- 1.5" to give solid bearing and allow for passage of the lever arm. Otherwise setup on a worktable that can take some abuse.

3) Place the selected lever arm into the beginning of the center body hole that fits best. Align the lever arm so that it is close to perpendicular (90 degrees) to the length of the body. Holding the pin straight with your off hand, Smack the lever pin firmly with a 2-3 lb hammer. Using a smaller hammer can be more difficult, unless you have a very slight build.

4) IF you hit it firmly enough, the end of the lever pin should enter the inside of the main body. Align the pin with the hole on the opposite side - by feel.

5) Smack it again until it emerges from the other side. This is where a large vice really shines, due to the open back support, as it's bit tricky to do this on a flat surface without banging things up.

/ Top link #5  
I bought one of those from surplus center and on mine the pin was pre installed. It is a semi loose fit, the pin can slide back and forth. The ends of the pin are flat so it can't slide out. I would say force it through the center hole and then flatten it out again so it won't slide through the hole.