Tool kit for the truck?

/ Tool kit for the truck? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
What tool kit would you recommend for keeping in your truck? For wrenching on the tractor or whatever else you need to on the road? I've currently got the crappy https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-sets/105-piece-tool-kit-4030.html in my saddle box. It's done okish for a good number of years, but is huge for the number of tools it holds & the quality is what you'd expect from cheap harbor freight. Looking for another set with some better tools in a decent carrying case. No way it will be everything I need, but looking to upgrade to something with some better tools in a case that makes better use of space. I've got plenty of tools in the barn, but need a dedicated set to leave in the saddle toolbox in the truck with the compressor, straps, lube, hitches, tarps & all the other usual gear. Looking for some plyers, adjustable wrenches & what not in addition to some sockets. Assembling my own is always an option, but then everything just ends up rattling around mixed up in a bag.

/ Tool kit for the truck? #2  
I may have the same Harbor Freight set you have, and you're right it'll get some minor things done.

It sounds like you're more concerned about the organization or arrangement than the tools themselves. I have a Craftsman set I keep in the trailer and a Kobalt set I keep in the truck box, Both have the molded plastic cases that keep the tools in their place.

Buying used is the best way to get good quality tools - Snap-On, Mack, etc. But you probably won't get them in any organized fashion or maybe not even a complete set (which should include a gross of 10mm).

/ Tool kit for the truck? #4  
I ditched the big bulky plastic tool cases and went back to small traditional tool box, it contains a 1/2 drive SAE set of sockets and a 3/8 drive set of metric sockets, a set of metric and SAE combination (box-open end) wrenches, assorted pliers and screwdrivers a roll of "mechanics wire" and a hammer and mechanics gloves and a roll of electrical tape a odd assortment of things it collected along the way..... If repairs are beyond the basics to repair with the tools I carry probably aren't going to get it done anyway, so problem goes back to shop.... You would be surprised how much you can put in it if you try.... The real key to all this is something that does not take up a lot of space in truck box...

Screenshot 2023-01-02 130329.jpg

/ Tool kit for the truck?
Any recommendation to keep sockets & wrenches neat & tidy in a toolbox? Pliers, screwdrivers & what not aren't really a problem, but bouncing around in a truck always scrambles sockets & wrenches. Having to fish around & find the right sized socket in a pile always drives me nuts. Any of the organizers other than the blow molded cases I use for the shop or am aware of really works for a tool bag.

/ Tool kit for the truck? #6  
I bought a Stanley set. It has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. It’s all organized and has a few wrenches. Similar to this pic but not that exact set.
DBCE87FD-D073-410E-9254-7EA733FED2F0.jpeg

/ Tool kit for the truck? #7  
This craftsman versastack tool kit is great imo I bought one for my small MH, bought one for my dad and FIL, easy to access, store, and use the tools, they stay in place and decent qaulity for the price. bought when they first came out 2-3 yrs ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-181820.png
    Screenshot_20230105-181820.png
    716 KB · Views: 52
   / Tool kit for the truck? #8  
Any recommendation to keep sockets & wrenches neat & tidy in a toolbox? Pliers, screwdrivers & what not aren't really a problem, but bouncing around in a truck always scrambles sockets & wrenches. Having to fish around & find the right sized socket in a pile always drives me nuts. Any of the organizers other than the blow molded cases I use for the shop or am aware of really works for a tool bag.
Something like these may work for sockets...

This is a safety pin (commercially available), made one from coat hanger wire for going through my combination open/box end wrenches....

1672974031236.png

/ Tool kit for the truck? #9  
In my truck - a clean pair of leather gloves, rechargeable flashlight, a heavy folding knife, a roll of paper towels and my cell phone. A jug of drinking water in the summer.

AND a good insurance policy that includes roadside maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Tool kit for the truck? #10  
a complete set (which should include a gross of 10mm).
Likewise 13mm.
In my truck - a clean pair of leather gloves, rechargeable flashlight, a heavy folding knife, a roll of paper towels and my cell phone. A jug of drinking water in the summer.
I keep a small folding pruning saw in both of my vehicles as well as ATV & snowmobile. Gets used often enough that I'm glad it's there. I just use this one from HF.