Tool for hyd. coupling

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Have modified a ViceGrip pliers (model 8R) to aid in sliding female coupler sleeve back for ease of engaging male component.
With unsecured couplings on dual hoses running from rear 3rd SCV to grapple thumb on FEL forks, difficult to slide the sleeve back while pushing the male into the female coupling.
Decided to try modifying the VG pliers designed with flats for sheet metal work, by filing out the flats to just fit the female coupling so closing the pliers to "lock" allows holding it in the open position to engage the male end. This fits the 1/4" Pioneer coupling.

Attachments

• Vicegrip_ground.JPG
    Vicegrip_ground.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Coupling_apart.JPG
    Coupling_apart.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Coupling_together.JPG
    Coupling_together.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 310
  • Coupling_squeezed.JPG
    Coupling_squeezed.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 397
  • Vicegrip_coupling.JPG
    Vicegrip_coupling.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 344
   / Tool for hyd. coupling #2  
Sometimes I have a difficult time connecting the two because of too much pressure in the lines. I know I have seen a tool to press the end button to release the pressure too. Good job making a tool to help your work go easier.

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #3  
When pressure is in the line, I just push the QD ball into the nearest clean surface. A little messy, but I have paper towels ready to wipe everything off.
hugs, Brandi

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #4  
Besides relieving pressure, make sure you are using your other hand to push in on the male end as you squeeze the pliers.

/ Tool for hyd. coupling
Sometimes I have a difficult time connecting the two because of too much pressure in the lines. I know I have seen a tool to press the end button to release the pressure too. Good job making a tool to help your work go easier.

I've not found a tool to press in on that end button, but have wondered about making something. Presently I have a dummy female connector that I leave on the male coupling of one of the FEL loader lines. It has a plug in the hose end that I can loosen if there is pressure in the line (and usually is the case in the spring after the FEL sits over the winter while the snowplow is in its place).

But now you've given me the thought that the other side of this ViceGrip tool maybe be able to use that tool to also release pressure. Will look into that.. prolly today yet.. :)

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #6  
   / Tool for hyd. coupling
Plenty spendy for the Amazon linked one.. better price for the Farm Show mag.
Googled and saw some YouTube's about some other ideas, one intrigued me was this link

Dave's Delights Hydraulic Hose Pressure Relief - YouTube

Here is a pic of the one I hang on my FEL while it is in storage.. then just back off the plug and be wary of oil coming out at the moment..

I think some modification of a channel lock pliers with some shielding to limit oil spray from the tip would work pretty well too..

Attachments

• Pressure_releaser.jpg
    Pressure_releaser.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 309
   / Tool for hyd. coupling #8  
I just tap the ball with a piece of wood. I've had to use a dowel or unsharpened pencil a couple of times for the one in the female coupler.

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #9  
I use a lynch pin. download.jpeg

Always one around, hangs nicely on the tractor doesn't cause damage... Like a screwdriver would.

Wrap it in a rag, push it or tap if necessary.

/ Tool for hyd. coupling #10  
For my grapple (two male connectors) I installed two female connectors to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. When I remove the grapple I connect the lines to the bucket. The lines can not build any pressure and are easy to reconnect.

I considered making a vise-grip tool with a fork to hold the connector and the other end to push the poppet or ball in. I was going to use the "C" clamp type vise-grips. I worried about oil spraying in every direction so never built one.