Tonneau Cover thoughts?

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, I kinda hate my self for it, but Im thinking about getting a Tonneau cover for my 2019 Ram 1500. I've had a hard cover that hinged up, on a work truck before, and hated it. I never had the old snap down soft-tarp type covers. Now, I come to realize I want to be able to keep stuff in the bed dry.

There used two be two options, the hard cover that made it impossible to haul anything large, and cost a fortune, or a flimsy one that offered zero theft protection, and flapped around in the wind. Now, there are tri folds, sliders, soft cover with a frame, and a lot more.

What do you have that you like?
Are any of cheap options worth having?

I'm not really concerned about theft protection for the most part, but when we take a family trip, I want to be able to pack our stuff in the back, safe from rain, wind, ect.

I do use my truck as a truck, but like many, it rarely has bigger then some bags of feed, gas cans, ect; but its not unusual to need to haul pipe, lumber, block, ect, so it needs to be able to fold/slide out of the way.

Last edited:
   / Tonneau Cover thoughts? #2  
I have a roller, prefer it to the snap down which always held water when it rained and stretched it even more, the roller has three indexed lock positions so you can have it partially open and also locks with a key and locks when I lock the vehicle as the is another lock incorporated in the tailgate, the channels drain externally too so no water in the tray.
Downside is that they cost almost $2k as opposed to about $300, more if you want the electric version.
Prices are AU$

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #3  
I had never had or needed one until I bought my Canyon a little over a year ago. I bought the OEM trifold cover and am very happy. It was discounted well with a promotion tying accessories to a recent truck purchase. The only moisture that gets in the bed comes in the sides of the tailgate and that's not the fault of the cover. I can fold up and secure the cover to leave 2/3 of the bed open or take the whole thing off in less than a minute without tools. I'm a big fan.
If you check around I'm sure you can find a highly rated tri fold that won't bust your budget.
I didn't look into roll up covers but they seem to be a thing as well.

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #4  
My Chevy short box had a Lock and Roll hard cover. The kind that works like a horizontal roll up door.

It was relatively theft proof but I never liked the look.

My 1968 elCamino had the tonneau with snaps down top edge of the box. To me THAT is the classic look.

This is what I have today. I don't particularly like it either.....

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9101.jpg

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #5  
I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn for $25k during the big Enterprise COVID sell-off. First thing I did was shine up my old tool box from my F-150 and mounted it. Next thing was a Trifecta 2.0 folding cover that could be used with my toolbox.

It was a really good decision and cost effective. I can take it off easily in just a few minutes or just fold it back if I don’t need my full bed.

If there is a downside, it is when the cover is on and something rolls in the bed up to the back of the cab. It’s a tight belly crawl.

image-2021-11-13-16:03:17-853.jpg

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #6  
I've got a 2019 Ram Tradesman, on mine I have a trifold hard cover. When I bought it, it had a soft cover that was a pia and annoyed me to bits when I was driving by flapping in the wind and constantly drawing my eye to it. I find the trifold great, it's secure, easy to fold up against the cab and I only loose 6" or so of bed length...........Mike

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #7  
I have a trifold on my F-250 and I love it. It keeps things dry when I need it, kept the fall leaves out of my box, I don't need to tie down trash bags for my bi-monthly trash runs. I can load a full pallet behind it when folded and like the others mentioned it removes and reinstalls in minutes without tools.

I don't have any problem with it flapping in the wind, when folded out the fabric is taut. When folded up, it metal frame lays on top stopping any wind from moving it.

As theft protection goes the only real deterrent is that thieves can't tell if it is an empty box or loaded with $5000 worth of tools so they aren't likely to cut into it just to find out.

/ Tonneau Cover thoughts? #10  
When I bought my F150 I bought a Bakflip. I still love it. Cover all, half or none. Pricey but worth it imo.