TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,801  
Most of my pistol dies are Dillon. Rifle dies are RCBS, Redding, Lyman, I think I still have one old set of Herter's and I think one set of Hornady. My competition dies are almost all Redding bushing sets, but I do have a couple comp sets from RCBS.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,802  
For me, the only thing Dillon has that interests me is their 'Cheesecake' gals. Problem with Dillon dies is, they are proprietary and cannot be used in any other press, that and their sometimes good and sometimes not good powder throwers. The way I load is almost always a compressed charge because I'm always jumping the pills in the case and I load by the Berger (Brian Litz) regimen and of course every caliber I load is shot across the chronograph on my private range.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,803  
For me, the only thing Dillon has that interests me is their 'Cheesecake' gals. Problem with Dillon dies is, they are proprietary and cannot be used in any other press, that and their sometimes good and sometimes not good powder throwers. The way I load is almost always a compressed charge because I'm always jumping the pills in the case and I load by the Berger (Brian Litz) regimen and of course every caliber I load is shot across the chronograph on my private range.
Only the dies for the Square Deal are proprietary. Their 7/8x14 pistol dies can be used in any press. All my pistol dies are Dillon. Best pistol dies out there as you can take apart the die to clean built lube buildup and not lose the setting.

My rifles dies Redding or RCBS.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,804  
Not at all correct on the proprietary die thing. As Don says, ONLY the Square Deal press has proprietary dies, and it comes assembled with it's die set. I don't have a Square Deal press. Only a 450 press, which I bought in 1981, their first "non commercial" press they put on the market. I also have at least a dozen of their pistol die sets, which are excellent dies. The caliber conversion kits will vary depending on which Dillon press model you're using, but the original 450 press (long out of production) still uses the current production 550 conversion kits.

Powder measure won't care if you load "compressed" loads or not. No idea what that has to do with anything (including powder measures). No idea what "jumping the pills in the case" actually means to real people. Maybe someone could translate that one?

I've loaded many a compressed load, typically with various belted magnum rifle cartridges. Didn't notice any issues or drama.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,805  
I dont know 100%, but I assume jumping the projectile in the case refers to the possibility of a seriously compressed powder charge, pushing the projectile back out, and increasing OAL? I haven't ever loaded anything compressed enough to know if that is real or not.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,806  
Best pistol dies out there as you can take apart the die to clean built lube buildup and not lose the setting.
Entirely your opinion. I can take apart ALL my dies and clean them without loosing ANY settings and I clean mine with non-chloronated brake cleaner 100% of the time. In reality, the only critical setting is the depth of the pill insertion and I do that with dedicated micrometer seaters anyway.
No idea what that has to do with anything (including powder measures). No idea what "jumping the pills in the case" actually means to real people. Maybe someone could translate that one?
Go buy yourself a Berger loading manual and read chapter 2. I mostly load Bergers for long range and have for years. The have an amazing weight retention and expand very reliably. Of course they ain't cheap either. Chapter 2 will do all the translation you need and the some. I jump all my pills in bolt action rifles, most of what I own are custom made and have Wyatt boxes in them so I can cycle my longer cartridges. Wyatt boxes and Jewel triggers, Bartlien barrels and wire EDM receivers with carbon fiber stocks. Lets put it this way, at 500 yards, my custom built Savage will consistently shoot MOA with either 250 or 300 grain pills in Lapua brass, of course the 300's drop a bit more so the drop chart is different.

After 40 years of this, I don't screw around. I use a Harell ball bearing culver powder measure for it's consistency and I still check every load. Like I said, I built a custom vibrating trickler that works with the beam on the Ohaus triple beam scale that will give me a very consistent 1/4 grain drop with any propellant. Again, you get what you pay for and my handloads have taken lots of big game here in North America as well as Europe and Africa. The 4 guys I hunt with all shoot my handloads and have for years now. Maybe it's time you educate yourself with a Berger reloading manual and some high quality reloading equipment. BTW, none of my rifles or the other guys rifles have cross drilled receivers.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,807  
Well, you're certainly impressed with yourself, no doubts there.

Grown ups don't call bullets "pills". Kind of hard to take you serious when you're more interested in inventive "catch phrases" than using actual proper names for things.

I do just fine with my own loading process, sorry to disappoint you. I started loading in 1975, started shooting competitively in the early 80's, so I'm not new to this stuff either. I don't need to "educate myself" from "chapter 2".

I used to shoot a 257 cal 110 MEF Berger bullet from my 25 cal long range gun until Berger stopped making them and a whole lot of other bullets in their varmint lineup. I still have a couple boxes of those MEF's sitting on the shelf if I ever decide to build another 25 cal gun. The only Bergers I use now are an "alternate load" for my F-class gun when I can't find any Lapua scenars. The Bergers are almost as accurate, but not quite. But I'm shooting at 1K, not 500. I wouldn't waste the barrel time on that gun shooting so close. Maybe you should try some scenars and see how they run in your "cool kid" guns? Don't forget to use your "catch phrases".

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,808  
Well, you're certainly impressed with yourself, no doubts there.
No, I'm not at all. I'm just very experienced with the aspects of long range reloading that you don't have a clue about and I suggested the 'tome' that will educate you on EXACTLY what I do, that is if you can read that is...

BTW, a 'PILL' is a bullet and a CARTRIDGE or round is the complete assembly, the pill, the case, the primer and the propellant.

You may have been handloading a long time but you could stand some more education, obviously. I happen to be pretty good friends with Brian Litz who I consider the foremost Ballistician in this country today and I build my loaded rounds using his methods. He's also the VP of ABN ammunition. Go buy the Berger Reloading Manual and read it and get educated. It will be the best 29 bucks you ever spend. That is if you can read and comprehend technical terms....

Far as shooting at distance or competition, I think you are FOS on that score. Only thing I shoot is 50 foot indoor small caliber handgun myself, informal competition only.

The internet and forums like this allow you to post about anything you want to and elevate yourself to whatever pedestal you want to elevate yourself to. I suggested buying the book and reading it. If you apply or don't apply Brian's methodology or not is entirely your choice. I really don't care one way or another. I do what I do and have been for quite a long time btw.

Basically done with your derogatory comments.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,809  
5030, you revealed your lack of knowledgeable about Dillon dies with your first post so your opinions on Dillon pistol dies are suspect. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is wrong.

Loading rifle ammunition is not the same as loading pistol ammunition. Pistol shooters shoot a lot more. We need both decent accuracy and productivity. Trying to impress us with your handcrafting of rifle ammunition is deflection and not germane. BTW, I load rifle ammunition as well. I know that weighing powder to 1/4 gr is useless in getting a good load...just more BS to impress the ignorant.

My conclusions wrt to pistol reloading are based on shooting up to 20k pistol rounds a year, testing with a Ransom Rest, and a fair amount of competitive shooting. I have owned a Star, RCBS Green Machine, two Dillon SD's, two Dillon 550's, a Dillon 650, two Dillon 1050's and a Lee Six Pack. Old age has me down to one 550, one 1050 and the Lee for pistol ammunition, but this isn't my first rodeo.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,810  
On another shooting topic, already sketched out the 300 yard rifle range on the property we threw an offer on. Possible shooting clays (informal) are at the back. Also, mentally placed a raised box blind in the NE corner, overlooking a wet, open, field/pond area, and maybe a 30x90 food plot. All theoretical right now.