TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,681  
Sorry for the thread hijack.. :cool:
I started the hijack, no apologies needed.

Please note, when you have a thread over 13,000 posts long, sooner or later, you'll go off the topic.

Wife and I love north of Greenville as well.

There is a lot of the south east has to offer that has the exact same thing that West Virginia, New York, Vermont and Maine has to offer that people in the North East have no clue about IMO.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,682  
Suppressors are not evil, as the media would like to portray. I wish they would remove them from the NFA list, and treat them like firearms. I'd GLADLY do a 4473 for a can.

I don't agree that a suppressor should be treated like a firearm. It's ludicrous that someone can walk into a gun shop, buy a firearm and ammunition and walk out the door, but can't do the same for a dumb tube.

I work in the firearms industry as an engineer and have for years working for companies like Remington, Ruger, Bergara and others. I have an FFL 07/02 and SOT, have a lot of suppressors and full-auto stuff and a suppressor should be no more controlled than a magazine or any other accessory firearms part because that's what a suppressor is ... an accessory.

Since we're talking suppressors, I have models from AAC, SilencerCo, Dead Air, TBAC and B&T.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,683  
I don't agree that a suppressor should be treated like a firearm. It's ludicrous that someone can walk into a gun shop, buy a firearm and ammunition and walk out the door, but can't do the same for a dumb tube.

I work in the firearms industry and have for years, and have an FFL 07/02 and SOT. I have a lot of suppressors and full-auto stuff and a suppressor should be no more controlled than a magazine or any other accessory firearms part.
I believe my true meaning for that was missed.

That would be a perfect world. I too have a Type 07 with SOT. So, yeah... I agree. But, with the hearing protection act that was presented a few years ago (2017), they wanted to keep them serialized, but have them treated like a firearm, hence me saying 4473. That's why I mentioned that. They should be a firearms accessory. But, I won't hold my breath.

Texas' Governor Abbott made a huge leap back in 2021, with House Bill 957. That was a good first step, but it still does not remove the Federal guidelines. There are so many POSITIVE things about having a sound suppressor on a firearm, the good far outweighs the negative.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,684  
For a 100% balanced view on supressors; if they where Cheap, and unregulated, I would still have several guns that I wouldn't bother with suppressing. Pistols in general, I probably wouldn't bother with, and some 22LR rifles; as well, it's nice to have a really compact/light/mobile rifle at times.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,685  
I believe my true meaning for that was missed.

That would be a perfect world. I too have a Type 07 with SOT. So, yeah... I agree. But, with the hearing protection act that was presented a few years ago (2017), they wanted to keep them serialized, but have them treated like a firearm, hence me saying 4473. That's why I mentioned that. They should be a firearms accessory. But, I won't hold my breath.

Texas' Governor Abbott made a huge leap back in 2021, with House Bill 957. That was a good first step, but it still does not remove the Federal guidelines. There are so many POSITIVE things about having a sound suppressor on a firearm, the good far outweighs the negative.
I wonder how much of the pushback against relaxing silencer possession is due to cities using a "gunfire detection system" like "Shotspotter"? Or if there are other concerns that might be driving it.

Gunshot Detection

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,686  
I wonder how much of the pushback against relaxing silencer possession is due to cities using a "gunfire detection system" like "Shotspotter"? Or if there are other concerns that might be driving it.

Gunshot Detection
The pushback is only due to the general populations total ignorance of the subject.

"Guns are bad, and guns with suppressors are worse because it makes men with evil hearts that have supressors kill people without anyone hearing the gun shot, thus making the perpetrator invisible to the general public. Besides that, if you have a gun, why in the heck would you need a supressor unless you were up to something nefarious?"

The above line of thinking is from the general public who have never shot a gun in their life.

Ironically enough, about that "gunfire detection system", you ever notice that the people committing a crime with a weapon are people who generally don't have the right to carry a gun to begin with?

Winston Salem initiated some of that technology a year or so ago.

Having get the local TV news from Winston, I can assure you that the system really hasn't helped one bit.

About effective as the police gun buy back programs LOL

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,687  

Gunshot Detection
Chicago discontinued the use of that technology for so that point is moot.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,688  
For a 100% balanced view on supressors; if they where Cheap, and unregulated, I would still have several guns that I wouldn't bother with suppressing. Pistols in general, I probably wouldn't bother with, and some 22LR rifles; as well, it's nice to have a really compact/light/mobile rifle at times.
The great thing is a lot of .22 suppressors are very small. I run one that is under 4" and there are smaller versions. Small enough that if you are running a 16" barrel you can be at roughly 20" so it leaves you with a very mobile rifle.

The have come a long long way in the last 10 years.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,689  
No idea how well it works (which really is a major factor) but Whitt Machine Dirty 30 is only $299 plus stamp, for a compact, light, 30 cal direct thread option. I wouldn't drop the $500 based on the Lack of info on their website, like length, weight, decimel reduction, ect. I see the "package" is 13.8 oz, and 8" long; but it doesn't say that's the suppressor, and lists as 8"x8"x8" and 13.8 oz....

But frankly, a compact, very simple, light 30 cal suppressor, even if nit the best at sound, is light years ahead if a bare barrel.

Edit; apparently it's 1.5" ODx 4" long. I like the simplicity, cost, ect; not really sure about the company. Kinda seems like very light on info, and big on mall ninja stuff

Last edited: