TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,631  
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,635  
Based on the ballistics tables I ran, I felt this was probably a 100 yard or less gun. Here were the notes I took
• Zero is at about 85 yds
• +/-2 inches to 100 yards
• 130 yards: Holding top of deer at (8 inches of drop from POA)
• 150 yards: Hold 6 inches over deer (14 inches of drop from POA)
• 175 yards: Hold 15 inches over deer (approx.. One body height-brisket to shoulder) (23 inches of drop from POA)
• 200 yards: hold 26 inches over deer (34 inches of drop)
• 220 yard: hold one full body height (hoof to shoulder) over deer (44 inches of drop)
I'm getting to old LOL

I use to run ballistic tables and looked for the perfect shooting gun years ago.

Now, just let me hit something at with irons at 200 yards and I'm ok with that.

When I had both bolt and semi auto running the .300 blackout, simple out back spending time with what I could hit, I came to the exact same conclusion as yourself. .300 blackout with subs for hunting for myself, wouldn't go out past 100 yards with it.

More than happy with the 45-70 at that range and I don't have to much to deal with on a lever.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,636  
In the picture below, I'm dialing in SUBSONIC hand loads. This rifle was modified to have a reciprocating bolt handle that I could use to extract the spent casing after firing the subsonic round, since the gas pressure was not enough to operate the bolt carrier group the way a supersonic round would. With my hand loads, I would see a 5 MIL drop in trajectory at 100 yards over my normal 175 grain FGMM zero. With this set up, it was MOVIE quiet!

Fun Times!!!!

View attachment 854526View attachment 854527
This is a dumb question, but why not just shoot supersonic rounds surpressed?

The only reason why I ask is after all is said and done, I'm more than happy with my 300 win mag shooting supersonic suppressed vs shooting everything else out there subsonic surpressed.

My line of thinking is at the end of day, to be "quiet", the one variable that can not be beat is the sound barrier.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,637  
This is a dumb question, but why not just shoot supersonic rounds surpressed?

The only reason why I ask is after all is said and done, I'm more than happy with my 300 win mag shooting supersonic suppressed vs shooting everything else out there subsonic surpressed.

My line of thinking is at the end of day, to be "quiet", the one variable that can not be beat is the sound barrier.
It's not a dumb question at all. I would shoot Supers all the time. But running subs, they had to cycle manually, and gave me a 5 MIL drop from my 100 yard zero. Hope that explains it for ya... my rifle was tuned to 175 grain FGMM or M118LR. Both are supersonic. The idea of a suppressed rifle in a precision rifle role, is to move the sonic crack further away from the shooting position. Sometimes we are required to shoot from confined spaces, a suppressor definitely assists with the comfort level. Subsonic rounds from this rifle, were very good for things like unwanted street lights, vehicle tires, or aggressive animals that may spoil approach. Granted, I am speaking from a Military perspective, not a Civilian perspective. Supersonic rounds, even suppressed, are hearing safe for the shooter, but still "loud".

The subsonic loads for this rifle were clocking in at 950 fps... below the sound barrier. The can did a remarkable job with the gas rapport... and it was stupid quiet, but effectively a single shot rifle, having to be cycled manually. I had such great repeatability with it, I could switch between subs and regular loads, and not have to adjust my zero.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,638  
I'm really happy with my .260rem bolt gun suppressed. It has a crack, but the noise doesn't carry far at all and virtually no recoil. Using a Dead Air Nomad 30 Ti, Barnes 120gr bullets.

I'm with Sigarms, trying to be uber quiet just doesn't gain me anything. Reasonably quite with superior terminal performance just works better for deer and hogs.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,639  
I'm a Glock guy, through and through. Carried them in some VERY bad places. My current every day carry is either my G43X, or my G48. They are like my cell phone, flashlight and keys.. I never go anywhere without one of them.

I retired from the Army on 01 MAR 2023, and we had switched over from the M9 (Baretta 92) to the new M17 / M18 (Sig P320), I never got much trigger time with the M17. When I did get to shoot it, I really liked it. LIGHT years better than the M9.
Oh wow, really you prefer the Sig over it? I've got a 92FS Compact, had it since the last century, it's still my favorite indoor range toy. Man I love that pistol!

Now that RDS's are all the rage, I would mount one on the Beretta if there was an elegant way to do so. But, I found nothing to my liking, boo!