TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,621  
I'm very fortunate to have a Wife that loves the same things I love. Well, every rifle I build, I must build her one exactly like it. So, blessing and a curse? She can definitely run her rifle well!

Lisa shooting 2.jpg

Lisa shooting 1.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,622  
I was SO FORTUNATE to be able to work with manufacturers on new product development. Here I am running he SNOT out of the prototype BREVIS 556 suppressor from Delta P Designs. This short, HIGH VOLUME can was 3D printed and was unique in how it was manufactured. The sound suppression was not as effective as some of the other cans, even on a 16" barrel, but it DID work on the small 7.5" barrel that the PWS MK107 had. We even tested it on a modified M249 SAW and ran several belts through it, turning it RED hot. I'm shooting with my PELTORs on, because other Team mates were shooting non-suppressed.

I could not kill this little suppressor.
Brevis Can from Delta P Designs.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,623  
Honestly, from what I remember, you weren't to far off from me. One reason why I gave up on the 300 for hunting 4 legged animals using subsonic ammo.

Been hankering for a .45 ACP carbine to plunk with a can on it, and what do you know, Ruger has the LC .45 carbine out. At first, thought I might have my first impulse buy in more than a couple of years. Bad thing is, one of my last impulse buys was a ruger American rife in 300 black out. Turns out they had a issue on CRAPPY rotorary mags, and my impluse buy got me a rifle stuck with those CRAPPY magazines.

LC looks like it could be a propriatry mag for the carbine.

Might have to wait a couple of years to see the reviews with the magazines.

HMMM... I see where it can take a G21 mag.
I was given access to a 148 acre tree farm a few years back. Land owner wanted assurances that bullets would not leave his property so he limited me to Muzzle loader or archery. I made a case that the 300 Blackout suppressed had similar ballistics to a ML so he let me use it.

I only shot one deer on his place with my blackout, but even subsonic it dropped like a sack of potatoes at 80 yards. I was using the Lehigh Maximum expansion bullets that were supposed to expand at subsonic speeds. The bullet exited and I was not able to recover it but based on the wound channel it definitely expanded.

In terms of accuracy, I have a couple groups recorded in my tracking spreadsheet for this bullet. 3 shot groups, one was 1.49 and the other 2.51 inches at 100 yards.

Based on the ballistics tables I ran, I felt this was probably a 100 yard or less gun. Here were the notes I took
• Zero is at about 85 yds
• +/-2 inches to 100 yards
• 130 yards: Holding top of deer at (8 inches of drop from POA)
• 150 yards: Hold 6 inches over deer (14 inches of drop from POA)
• 175 yards: Hold 15 inches over deer (approx.. One body height-brisket to shoulder) (23 inches of drop from POA)
• 200 yards: hold 26 inches over deer (34 inches of drop)
• 220 yard: hold one full body height (hoof to shoulder) over deer (44 inches of drop)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,624  
One thing that I LOVED about the 7.62x51 or .308 WIN, was it's consistency. Using M118LR, or 175 Grain Federal Gold Medal Match, this rifle here was as consistent as the sunrise. All I had to do was dial in my density altitude / humidity from my Kestrel, and the DOPE was consistent out to 850 yards. This rifle was an 18" barrel, 1:10 twist, running a BREVIS 7.62 suppressor from Delta P Designs. I jumped this rifle, swam with it, kicked it out of helicopters, and it never failed me. The optic was one of the original 3.5-21x from Bushnell Tactical, with the G2 DMR Reticle developed by George Gardner from Georgia Precision. To this day, it's my absolute favorite reticle out to 1000 yds. The .308 WIN / 7.62x51 just starts giving up the ghost at anything out past 850 yds. Much better calibers and platforms to use for shooting at extreme distance. I still have this optic today, and it is mounted on one of my favorite rifles. In the picture below, I'm dialing in SUBSONIC hand loads. This rifle was modified to have a reciprocating bolt handle that I could use to extract the spent casing after firing the subsonic round, since the gas pressure was not enough to operate the bolt carrier group the way a supersonic round would. With my hand loads, I would see a 5 MIL drop in trajectory at 100 yards over my normal 175 grain FGMM zero. With this set up, it was MOVIE quiet!

Fun Times!!!!

DOPE wiith the LongBow.jpg
G2 DMR Reticle.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,625  
I'm liking this Sig P365 so far, but one thing it needs (for me at least) is a support hand thumb landing pad. My thumb slips off with every shot, requiring repositioning of my support hand grip. No bueno.

Sooo...$2 solution, a rubberized strip from Talon Grips. Works awesome!

PXL_20240227_003216183.MP.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,626  
I'm engaging an 18x30 IPSC Steel Silhouette Target here at 1850 yards. The M107 was a BEAST. I had a love / hate relationship with this bad boy. Not fun to carry at high altitudes in rocky environments, but does wonders against material. On a given range day, I was only good for about 60 consecutive rounds through this beast... my fillings would start to hurt after that.

Of all of my favorite Long Bows, the Barrett MRAD .338 Lapua was my absolute favorite to "hunt" with.

M107.jpg

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,627  
I'm liking this Sig P365 so far, but one thing it needs (for me at least) is a support hand thumb landing pad. My thumb slips off with every shot, requiring repositioning of my support hand grip. No bueno.

Sooo...$2 solution, a rubberized strip from Talon Grips. Works awesome!

View attachment 854529
That is a very good fix. I like index points on my frames as well. I have not had much time with the newer striker fired SIGs... but I definitely want to give them a run!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,628  
I was given access to a 148 acre tree farm a few years back. Land owner wanted assurances that bullets would not leave his property so he limited me to Muzzle loader or archery. I made a case that the 300 Blackout suppressed had similar ballistics to a ML so he let me use it.

I only shot one deer on his place with my blackout, but even subsonic it dropped like a sack of potatoes at 80 yards. I was using the Lehigh Maximum expansion bullets that were supposed to expand at subsonic speeds. The bullet exited and I was not able to recover it but based on the wound channel it definitely expanded.

In terms of accuracy, I have a couple groups recorded in my tracking spreadsheet for this bullet. 3 shot groups, one was 1.49 and the other 2.51 inches at 100 yards.

Based on the ballistics tables I ran, I felt this was probably a 100 yard or less gun. Here were the notes I took
• Zero is at about 85 yds
• +/-2 inches to 100 yards
• 130 yards: Holding top of deer at (8 inches of drop from POA)
• 150 yards: Hold 6 inches over deer (14 inches of drop from POA)
• 175 yards: Hold 15 inches over deer (approx.. One body height-brisket to shoulder) (23 inches of drop from POA)
• 200 yards: hold 26 inches over deer (34 inches of drop)
• 220 yard: hold one full body height (hoof to shoulder) over deer (44 inches of drop)
LeHigh Defense makes some VERY good rounds. The Max Expansion projectiles are devastating on soft tissue. I have several boxes of them in .300 BLK, .223, .308 and 9mm. Devastating.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,629  
That is a very good fix. I like index points on my frames as well. I have not had much time with the newer striker fired SIGs... but I definitely want to give them a run!
Yeh, I don't blame you. I looked into this pistol, the Shield Plus, Glock, Ruger Max 9...but ultimately, the P365 and it's variants is the pistol to beat for a micro 9mm ccw. I will say only the Ruger LCP Max (.380) carries better while still rocking a capable caliber.

And speaking of Lehigh Defense, the bullets they build for Underwood (Xtreme Defense), that's one awesome .380 round!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,630  
Yeh, I don't blame you. I looked into this pistol, the Shield Plus, Glock, Ruger Max 9...but ultimately, the P365 and it's variants is the pistol to beat for a micro 9mm ccw. I will say only the Ruger LCP Max (.380) carries better while still rocking a capable caliber.

And speaking of Lehigh Defense, the bullets they build for Underwood (Xtreme Defense), that's one awesome .380 round!
I'm a Glock guy, through and through. Carried them in some VERY bad places. My current every day carry is either my G43X, or my G48. They are like my cell phone, flashlight and keys.. I never go anywhere without one of them.

I retired from the Army on 01 MAR 2023, and we had switched over from the M9 (Baretta 92) to the new M17 / M18 (Sig P320), I never got much trigger time with the M17. When I did get to shoot it, I really liked it. LIGHT years better than the M9.