TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,611  
Have a question? Why are most 300 blackouts with 10.3" barrels furnished with pistol length gas systems?. I tuned mine the other day an the recoil impulse was sort of snappy & sharp compaired to that slower impulse shove that I seem to feel with a longer gas system.
Using Subs? 300 BO was designed to have full burn at 9” and be subsonic. If you’re using super sonic ammo you’ll likely see a lot more gas issues out of the shorter systems, especially suppressed.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,612  
On the Octane, newer model? I've stopped buying them for a while now, but wondering what you're using with the .300 BO?
It's an older Octane, rated for .300 subs. Same here, haven't bought a can in a while; Probably will add another if the stamp wait times improve...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,613  
It's an older Octane, rated for .300 subs. Same here, haven't bought a can in a while; Probably will add another if the stamp wait times improve...
If I may ask, with subs on the .300 using the AR, what kind of groups are you getting at what yardarge? Anything over 100 yards on my end could be iffy iffy at best. That said, I'm a horrible shooter.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,614  
This little Room Broom was a HOOT to shoot. I was fortunate to have one of the original proof of concepts (Serial #00002) and put right around 70k rounds through it. I did my best to break this rifle, and it really ran nicely. The idea was to create a rifle that produced a very low signature, very minimal flame profile without a suppressor. Several different muzzle devices were used, to try to project the muzzle blast forward, for confined space shooting. The rail design was pretty radical for it's time frame, and in the end, the company went out of business and was absorbed by another company.

It was fun while it lasted. I disassembled it, used an EDM wire cutter and split the barrel in half long ways, to look at the throat erosion and land/groove degradation over the round count. I still have the lower receiver, it is now a 12.5" SBR with a mid length gas system running a dead air can on it.

Back with the firearms industry was fun.

LVOA.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,615  
This was another fun little rifle. It was a first GEN MK107 Diablo from Primary Weapons Systems (PWS). This was a long stroke piston driven SBR, with a 7.5" barrel. Very nice in confined spaces, you "could" suppress it, so to speak, but the gas system became so violent, that it was inconsistent and the out gassing was horrible back into my face (right handed shooter, right eye dominant). In the end, the little Diablo was aptly named. I have several PWS rifles, and I enjoy the Gen 1 (or Mod 0 as they are now called) much better than the newer rifles.

I find my favorite is a 12.5" SBR, with a mid length direct impingement gas system, adjustable gas block and a suppressor. Tune the gas system to the can, and run the mess out if it.

Range 37 (2).jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,616  
I did a LOT of testing on this optic mount. The idea was a 100% repeatable return to zero once the optic was removed and replaced onto the rifle. Sometimes, it was prudent to remove the optic for certain operational requirements. This was the DLOC Mount, originally produced by a small company from Texas, called Alamo Four Star. Mark Deros invented and patented the rail capture system on this mount, and it truly WAS a 100% repeatable return to zero mount. As long as you indexed it into the exact same rail slot, and pushed forward on the mount whilst finger tightening the mounting system. As you can see, this was me shooting my AR10 at 100 yds, using 175 Grain Federal Gold Medal Match. I shot a cold bore shot, then removed the optic, re-installed, and did this four more times... removing and replacing the optic between each consecutive shots.

I also captured this on one of our service M4s, using an ACOG and an Aim Point Micro Red Dot sight. I had the ACOG zeroed at 100m and the red dot zeroed at 50m. I could switch between the two optics, and never lose zero.

Again, the company was bought out by another company, and the mounts just stopped being produced. I'm fortunate to still have an ACOG mounted on a DLOC system, a few red dots, and I have a few 30mm and 35mm mounts with glass mounted in them.

Again, back when it was fun.

Cold Bore plus Four.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,617  
If I may ask, with subs on the .300 using the AR, what kind of groups are you getting at what yardarge? Anything over 100 yards on my end could be iffy iffy at best. That said, I'm a horrible shooter.
Depends on the ammo but the can does affect reliable POI even with good subs; At 75 yds it seems to maintain about 5" groups, but that's with a 1-8 scope. I too, am no marksman by any means

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,618  
This was another prototype test mule. This is the Straight Jacket Barrel System, pioneered by a company called Teludyne Tech. I started out with an 18" SPR barrel, 416R Criterion Blank, 1:8 twist, chambered in .223 Wylde. This has an intermediate length gas system, fully adjustable, then Teludyne Tech did their black magic with it and installed their straight jacket barrel system over the blank. To this day, I have never found another rifle that would shoot as well as this upper does. It will eat whatever you put in it, but favors 69 Grain Federal Gold Medal Match, or 77 Grain Open Tip Match. I could consistently put 2.5 to 3" groups on paper at 600m with it, as long as the wind cooperated with it.

I killed a Coyote at 680 yds with 77 grain OTM, using the exact rifle you see below. The optic was another prototype 1-8X, FFP from US Optics, back when 1-8x Low Power Variable Optics were JUST coming out. Notice the 30mm DLOC mount from Alamo Four Star.

I still have this rifle, and it is my go-to 'Yote slayer.

Straight Jacket Barrel System on RPC.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,619  
Depends on the ammo but the can does affect reliable POI even with good subs; At 75 yds it seems to maintain about 5" groups, but that's with a 1-8 scope. I too, am no marksman by any means
Honestly, from what I remember, you weren't to far off from me. One reason why I gave up on the 300 for hunting 4 legged animals using subsonic ammo.

Been hankering for a .45 ACP carbine to plunk with a can on it, and what do you know, Ruger has the LC .45 carbine out. At first, thought I might have my first impulse buy in more than a couple of years. Bad thing is, one of my last impulse buys was a ruger American rife in 300 black out. Turns out they had a issue on CRAPPY rotorary mags, and my impluse buy got me a rifle stuck with those CRAPPY magazines.

LC looks like it could be a propriatry mag for the carbine.

Might have to wait a couple of years to see the reviews with the magazines.

HMMM... I see where it can take a G21 mag.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,620  
No Sir, just the standard 16" barrel with 1-9 twist on that 'el-cheapo DPMS, nothing special, I assure you! 😉

Probably just hard to tell since I have the Octane suppressor mounted for my wife. But to your point, I did a pretty light-weight build to that one for my wife when I converted it to .22 for her; I used a poly forearm, a basic MagPul AFG (she specifically wanted the angled foregrip over vertical FGs), but all else is stock.

I have a dedicated .22 upper on another AR, but my wife claims that one as "hers", and what momma wants, momma gets, so I just leave it alone.

Funny She got really upset when I took the Primary Arms 1-6 scope off it to try out the Wraith, I assured her it was only temporary to get it sighted in and lock the setting, but she still gave me a bit of grief over it, lol 😆
I took the chance at pissing off my wife on Valentines day building her an AR with the CMMG .22 LR conversion kit. 16" Rocso government profile barrel, PSA lower, Aero trigger, ambi safety, SIG red dot, back up sigths PSA lower, Toolcraft NiB BCG for .5.56mm. It is a basic rifle, not too heavy.
The funny Valentines day card helped.