TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,391  
What are everyone's thoughts on a nickel-plated shotgun? I have two options - a stainless receiver with a blue barrel or a nickel-plated receiver and barrel. I like the stainless but am not really thrilled with a blued barrel so thus the reason I am considering the plated gun.

The gun I am looking at is a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme if anyone is familiar with it.

I just picked up a Stoeger Coach in 12 with the black walnut and polished nickel barrel/receiver a couple weeks ago to use for some cowboy action shooting.

Feels a lot more like stainless than polished nickel, but that is likely do to the fact my only other nickel gun has a matte finish.

I spent an hour polishing the chambers, bearing surfaces and such, took 1/2 of a curl off the spring that operates the break action, and shortened the rod to eliminate the auto safety. I ran a box thru it and it shucks spent shells with the flick of the wrist, and will drop open with just the weight of the barrels when I operate the break. (not when it requires the cocking of course).

I am pretty pleased with the polished nickel. I would have preferred the blonder wood they offer with the supreme over the blackened walnut though. The price was better on the black walnut and I did not see a need for choke tubes on a short double barrel like this!

Not sure if this helps or not.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,392  
I have also heard the double trigger models are more reliable than the single trigger models... but I have no evidence to back that up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,394  
Thanks Guys. I ended up getting the stainless frame with blue barrels. I'm going to get them coated next week so they are more corrosion-resistant. Seems the nickel ones are very rare in these parts.

The screw-in chokes were a selling point to me. Why - because I want it for squirrel hunting. Yep, that is an odd use but with a full choke in one barrel I have the range I need in our tight woods and the gun will easily fit across my ATV rack. Well, I also like the way it looks, and it will just be fun to shoot. Lol.

I also heard the thing about the double triggers being more reliable so that was a factor for me. I also liked the idea that I could pick the barrel that has the correct choke for the distance/shot I want to take.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,396  
On a Ruger M77 rifle, with staggered height rings, which one goes in front and which in the rear? Bought one that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn, found out it was supposed to have different height rings (these were same) so I finally ordered a set from Ruger, which were backordered. They came in, went into the safe never to be seen again. I just pulled the rifle out, and realized I didn't ask which one went where!

Ruger was already closed, so thought I would ask here.

David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,397  
What is your favorite CC holster? What do like about it? And what what do you carry in it?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,398  
On a Ruger M77 rifle, with staggered height rings, which one goes in front and which in the rear? Bought one that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn, found out it was supposed to have different height rings (these were same) so I finally ordered a set from Ruger, which were backordered. They came in, went into the safe never to be seen again. I just pulled the rifle out, and realized I didn't ask which one went where!

Ruger was already closed, so thought I would ask here.

David from jax
Tall one in the rear.

Bruce