TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,301  
A few posts ago there was a discussion about "cheap" scopes.

IMO they have their place and are OK for most people. I have a few and put them on guns that are range toys shot for fun. I do not put them on hunting rifles or rifles that I may need when the SHTF to defend the homestead.

There is cheap and there is "CHEAP". My demarcation lines are at $150 and $400. I will not buy a scope under $150. The scopes on "critical" guns are $400+.

Clarity is only one factor. Light gathering and reliable tracking are important. I am very leery of lightweight scopes. The ability to withstand getting bumped around or dropped matters on a scope that you need to depend on.

There is no free lunch. A sub $100 scope is going to be a disappointment unless it is a better quality scope drastically marked down due to being discontinued, or a special promotion. Also, beware of fake copies on name brand scopes.

If you need to save money, most of the higher end scopes come with lifetime warranties. I have two I purchased used for 1/2 to 2/3's the cost of new. A minor ring scratch is not going to affect how a scope performs but reduces its value.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,302  
2 out of 3 of my Athlons have been pre-owned scopes, and both have been good enough deals to make it worth it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,303  
Any thoughts on Delta scopes? I'm considering a Stryker 1-6.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,304  
Any thoughts on Delta scopes? I'm considering a Stryker 1-6.
Never heard of them. With the number of newer companies producing scopes from bottom to top, it gets confusing. Doesn't help that outfits like Bushnell sell both truly bottom of the barrel, but functional stuff (the plain Banner that comes on many combo packages) on up to some pretty high level stuff. Also, online reviews Can be helpful, But, some are paid, and even ones that aren't paid, may talk up a scope because of things that just don't matter to you, while ignoring real factors that matter for you, but not them.

Case in point, based on 90% of videos, Arken scopes are heavy but amazing. Then watched another, where guy says, Yep, the clicks and total adjustment are fantastic, but frankly the image is very sub par. That might be fine for hitting steel at 600 yards, but seeing if that deer has a 3rd point on one side, 5 minutes before end of legal light, different story.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,305  
Other thing, is what I want (and I think many others) out of scope. I want the same gun to hunt white tails at 80 yards in shady woods, right at dark, but also shoot tiny dots off a bench at 100/200/300. Constant battle of weight, features, simplicity, price, image, durability, ect. Then, they throw things like FFP, locking turrets, zero stop, crisp clicks, using it to pound nails, throwing in a swimming pool, that the YouTube experts are all about; and you start thinking, hmm, maybe I want 35mm tube, FFP, locking turrets, ect.

As a note, I got 2 that have adjustable zero stops; and never even set that up.

Seems PRS and Tactical guys are the main people posting videos, and what they want/need/care about, doesn't really represent what, I assume, most consumers want/need.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,306  
Been my observation that 'Tactalcool' guys buy optics based on cost entirely and then whine when they don't perform as expected.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,307  
I think many of the scopes have now started to cater to the tactical crowd, not the hunter. Reticles have become too busy on many of them, IMO. The occular ends have also gotten larger, causing issues with bolt lift on many guns. I ran into this issue when I was scoping my .375 H&H.

On my AR-15, AR-308 and ,375 H&H, I've gone to 1-6 x 24 scopes. The AR's have Trijicon Credo HX with the .223 and .308 BDC reticles. It remains a fairly simple reticle (as far as BDC's go).

The .375 has a Leupold VX6 1-6 x 24 with the firedot duplex. This is probably one of the most impressive scopes I've used. The image clarity and eye relief is superb and the 1X is a true 1 power. I also like the motion sensing technology to turn it on and off. On the Trijicons, I've had a number of times I've forgotten to turn it off after a hunt, only to find the battery is dead next time I use it. Other than low light conditions or long range, I think a 1-6X scope would suit many people's hunting needs. Having a true 1x with good eye relief and a generous eyebox is a game changer when doing spot and stalk in heavy brush.

All of my other rifles have either Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 scopes. These scopes were actually made for Zeiss by Meopta a Czech company and are one of the best values out there.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,309  
Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski here.
Ouch! You have the big boy budget.:D I keep my scopes to $800- $1500 range. Some of my other optics, like thermals, not so much. I have some Pulsar Thermal bino's and scope that are simply awesome.

Other than some Swaro EL bino's, I don't have any experience with Swaro scopes. I've heard a number of people complain about their durability, something about their erecter assemblies, but I'm just passing along hearsay without any first-hand knowledge.

The optical quality is always superb, but I do have a few issues with the Swaro EL bino's. The first is the diopter adjustment. It utilizes the focus ring and is actuated by slightly pulling out the focus knob to adjust the diopter. I've had a number of instances where the knob gets pulled out while stalking. The twist out eye cups don't hold their position very well. The gear ratio on the focus is too slow. I like it to be a little faster.

I just bought a set of Leica 10x42 Geovid .3200 rangefinder bino's, but I haven't had a chance to hunt with them yet. Just handling them and looking around, they seem pretty nice, but starting to get on the bulky side.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,310  
Gs, since you mention thermals; what's the thought on Sitemark Wraith; ATN X-site; ect, for general use, day and night. I know they aren't ever going to be as clear, but would people call them 'usable' for day and night both?

Reason I ask, I've seen some on the used market for around $350. I've been curious about then, but not $650 curious