TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,271  
That day, we had a guy bring over his 3 year old and 10 year old grandsons. Do you still think having a loaded gun standing outside is a good idea?
Well now, why wasn't that part of the original post?

Me thinks more replies would have been different then?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,272  
Drifting off topic, but one of my pet peeves is people walking around (like at gun shows) with a safety flag sticking out of the barrel and the action is closed.
I don't think I've been to a gun show in 30 years. But one of the "big" ones that would come to the Phoenix area they would "check in" your guns you were bringing into the event and when deemed "safe", they would zip tie the actions closed and put a flag in the muzzle. I never really cared for that myself, but what else would they do (seriously)? I mean guys walking around tables full of ammo for sale with their own guns? Couldn't really just let them carry the guns around with the actions open? Not sure what other options they had, really.

After attending a few of the "big" shows, I decided it was a fool's errand. Paying $10 to park, $5-6 to enter and walking around for hours looking at stuff that was stupidly overpriced was not a "fun" way to spend a Saturday to me.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,273  
Was in Walmart yesterday, and they had a pretty nice looking Mossberg Maverick 88, 20 ga, wood stock for $199. Don't need it, but was tempted. Never really felt a great need to add a 20 ga when I have a perfectly good 12 ga, and my son's 410 is stored with mine. Now, believe it or not; a 28 ga O/U for the right price would really have me tempted for a general purpose small game gun... Figure 28 ga is a big enough step down from 12 ga for youth (9 y/o daughter), while offering more (I assume...) ammo options than 410.

Anyone wonder how we standardized on 10/12/16/20/28/410 (I think we can say 12/20/28/410; seems 10/16 are orphans now) and somehow, nobody ever made a 50 cal x 3" shotgun? Seems like that would have been a natural size when they where standardizing gages. If they had a .50 or .510, we probably would never have heard of 410/28ga

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,274  
In 5th grade my classmate went duck hunting with his father who was an avid sportsman, veteran and machine shop owner.

The shotgun went off when the 5th grader tripped/slipped and took the side of his face…

He was in agony for a time and the ambulance transporting ran out of fuel…

Tragic all around leading to divorce and the father drinking to the point of losing his business.

The funeral was overflowing into the parking lot and made an everlasting impression on the entire school…

I’ve never fired a shotgun and passed on several opportunities to go hunting thinking back to what happened to my classmate…

That said I use to go to the range target shooting on occasion when they still existed around here

One of the Docs I work with is an avid skeet shooter and decided to teach his very young wife to shoot… I said Doc… do you really think it wise?

Doc gave me a look never saying a word…

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,275  
gun... Figure 28 ga is a big enough step down from 12 ga for youth (9 y/o daughter), while offering more (I assume...) ammo options than 410.
Better check the shelves at your dealers, and ask about supplies.

Both 410 and 28 have been in very short supply around here. Mostly 12 and 20 on the shelves. 410 goes very fast when some arrives. 28 sits for a bit longer then disappears.

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,276  
Ultra; about, heck, 18 years ago, was working with a 20 y/o (I was like 23 at the time) who grew up in a very gun free home. His dad was/is a college professor, his mom was an environmental something. Anyways; he moved out, and got a cheap apartment with his girlfriend, and didn't feel safe (typical, starter, iffy area), and got a 12 ga pump. Anyways; I was shooting with him; just blasting some old plywood and cans, ect; and he says he's empty, and we walk down to check the targets. I'm on his right, about 1 step ahead, and half way to the targets, gun goes off, luckily pointed to the left. I was pissed, and he kinda blew it off, as, shuff happens.

Long story short; he didn't grow up around firearms, and put both of us in a dangerous situation. Even if someone doesn't want guns in there house, kids still should be taught some basic understanding/respect for them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,277  
Ultra; about, heck, 18 years ago, was working with a 20 y/o (I was like 23 at the time) who grew up in a very gun free home. His dad was/is a college professor, his mom was an environmental something. Anyways; he moved out, and got a cheap apartment with his girlfriend, and didn't feel safe (typical, starter, iffy area), and got a 12 ga pump. Anyways; I was shooting with him; just blasting some old plywood and cans, ect; and he says he's empty, and we walk down to check the targets. I'm on his right, about 1 step ahead, and half way to the targets, gun goes off, luckily pointed to the left. I was pissed, and he kinda blew it off, as, shuff happens.

Long story short; he didn't grow up around firearms, and put both of us in a dangerous situation. Even if someone doesn't want guns in there house, kids still should be taught some basic understanding/respect for them.
Agree 100%

Don’t even think they teach gun safety or about blasting caps in school anymore.

They still teach about the transit train electric third rail.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,278  
Was in Walmart yesterday, and they had a pretty nice looking Mossberg Maverick 88, 20 ga, wood stock for $199. Don't need it, but was tempted. Never really felt a great need to add a 20 ga when I have a perfectly good 12 ga, and my son's 410 is stored with mine. Now, believe it or not; a 28 ga O/U for the right price would really have me tempted for a general purpose small game gun... Figure 28 ga is a big enough step down from 12 ga for youth (9 y/o daughter), while offering more (I assume...) ammo options than 410.

Anyone wonder how we standardized on 10/12/16/20/28/410 (I think we can say 12/20/28/410; seems 10/16 are orphans now) and somehow, nobody ever made a 50 cal x 3" shotgun? Seems like that would have been a natural size when they where standardizing gages. If they had a .50 or .510, we probably would never have heard of 410/28ga
I added a 88 20ga field gun 28" for my bird hunting needs. My 12ga is wee bit shorter and carries 8 rd. Not really legal for hunting.
I do have single shot 28ga my wife loves to shoot she want no part of the 12ga

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,280  
Agree 100%

Don’t even think they teach gun safety or about blasting caps in school anymore.

They still teach about the transit train electric third rail.
My girls have been around my guns and hunting exploits their entire life. They've always known I'll show them any gun they want to see, any time they ask me. They also know to never handle one without asking.

I actually spoke with them recently about this (they're 17 and 19 now). They both would target shoot and shoot rabbits at my lease, when they were younger. But they both said they never had any curiosity with guns when we weren't using them at the lease. They saw them as tools and not a curio, understanding there was no reason to handle them if there wasn't a need.

It really struck me that I must have done a pretty good job raising them around guns. They see them as inanimate objects that can be dangerous if handled or used improperly.