TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,251  
For my birthday, I bought myself another GI-type 1911. Been missing having a plinker around, dont wanna shoot my Kongsberg Colt much. This TISAS 1911's made in Turkey have an amazing build qualty for sub $400.00 I've worked at Kimber for 13 years, and I'd say these surpass Kimber built quality in many ways..........forged frame and slide, hammerforged barrel......no MIM parts.
IMG_1488 (002).jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,252  
I’ve never seen an inanimate object cause harm. I’m much more concern about how folks handle the firearms, if they are handling them well and everyone treats everything like it’s loaded (which they should do regardless) I wouldn’t get kicked out of deer camp over it. But I respect your opinion and decision to take a stand.
It's not the firearms we were worried about.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,253  
For my birthday, I bought myself another GI-type 1911. Been missing having a plinker around, dont wanna shoot my Kongsberg Colt much. This TISAS 1911's made in Turkey have an amazing build qualty for sub $400.00 I've worked at Kimber for 13 years, and I'd say these surpass Kimber built quality in many ways..........forged frame and slide, hammerforged barrel......no MIM parts.
View attachment 834089
I heard tisas were nice

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,254  
We have lots of hogs on our lease, so keeping the mag full and bolt open is my preferred mode of carry in the vehicle when traversing the lease or filling feeders. Just this morning, I jumped out when a sounder flushed, grabbed the rifle, closed the bolt and dropped a sow on the run. When finished, pulled the bolt back, grabbed the round and stuffed it back down, left bolt open and put the rifle between my right leg and console, muzzle down. Rounded another corner and here we go again with a lone boar.

When I get back to camp, bolt remains open, and the gun goes in the kitchen gun rack. Head out in the morning and gun goes in the truck with bolt open. Get to my blind, close the bolt and safety fully on (3-position Winchester).

If I climb out of the vehicle to stalk. I chamber one when safely away from people and vehicles and go full safety, get into cover where pigs might flush and safety might go to 2nd position.

When I leave after the weekend hunt, gun and mag gets unloaded and gun is cased for transport on public roads.

Unfortunately, being familiar with many folks poor gun handling, I almost feel like you're risking more chances of an issue if you want people to manipulate a gun to fully unload it as they get to the camp house premises (especially guns without 3-position safeties), rather than just require actions remain open. I think the statistics show that most accidental/negligent discharges happen within 30 feet of the hunting vehicle, where most people are manipulating guns.

I 100% agree that chambered guns should not be allowed in the house or in the vehicle!!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,255  
On Marlin 336 lever you can not "pour" the rounds out without a screw driver and disassembling the mag tube. Have to cycle all seven rounds out through the receiver. I have not found a good way of clearing the chamber with out cycling all the rounds. I just drop the hammer onto the cross bolt safety and call it good. That is how carry it while hunting as well, second nature for me to cock, push safety off and shoot.
On about any lever gun I've ever handled, to include the Marlin 336, you can operate the lever just far enough to eject the round from the chamber, and stop moving the lever further to the point where the next round is released from the magazine. It takes a little practice, and involves -slowly- manipulating the lever with care until just at the point where the nose of the chambered round clears the rear of the chamber.

Try it and see.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,256  
It's been a busy past couple of weeks at the lease, but I still haven't started piling up deer yet. I usually take 3-4 for the family. I haven't seen many good cull bucks, the best one I had, I let my BIL take. Seeing lots of young 8-pts, a decent 9-point and lots of doe with fawns. I'm mainly a meat hunter, so old does or cull bucks for me.

I've been cleaning house on pigs though. Last weekend, I shot 8, with maybe another 1-3 in the tall grass/cactus that I couldn't locate. On the first night, I had a sounder come to the feeder late one night and I smacked 3+ with the thermal. The first one I shot was a huge boar, but I could never find him. The next morning, I tracked him for 225+ yards, with no blood or tissue signs, just running hoof prints. I finally gave up, when the tracks went through into the next pasture (still the same ranch). I figured if he was still running at that point, he was long gone.

When I got to the lease this weekend, I parked and as I was walking out to my feeder I could smell a dead pig, so I went to investigate. That dang boar from last weekend was dead and rotting less than 30 yds from where I broke off my search the previous weekend!! Heck, you could clearly see him from where I park my truck, when I go to my blind! All last weekend, he was right there in plain sight from my blind parking spot, but I never saw him.

This weekend, I jumped a coyote in a creek, smacked a running sow when I bumped a sounder while filling feeders and shot a lone boar feeding on a gut pile at night, while out with the rancher.

I'm up to 47 pigs for the year and I'm not sure I've recorded all of them either.
Creek Coyote.jpg

Night boar.jpg

Running sow.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,257  
On about any lever gun I've ever handled, to include the Marlin 336, you can operate the lever just far enough to eject the round from the chamber, and stop moving the lever further to the point where the next round is released from the magazine. It takes a little practice, and involves -slowly- manipulating the lever with care until just at the point where the nose of the chambered round clears the rear of the chamber.

Try it and see.
I think every time I try to slowly manipulate my Marlin 1894 44 mag, I get the Marlin jam from hell that requires disassembling the lever. Especially if I have Hornady Lever Revolution ammo loaded. That ammo has been the worst for me in that gun.

Just plain 'ol 240 gr. lead SP or the Hornady 180- 240gr XTP bullets seem to do best.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,258  
I think every time I try to slowly manipulate my Marlin 1894 44 mag, I get the Marlin jam from hell that requires disassembling the lever. Especially if I have Hornady Lever Revolution ammo loaded. That ammo has been the worst for me in that gun.

Just plain 'ol 240 gr. lead SP or the Hornady 180- 240gr XTP bullets seem to do best.
That's my Remlin (Marlin made when Remington owned them) 30-30 the old Marlin in 35 is smooth and you can do the slow lever. On the 30-30 not really doable without jammin it, but it is my beater on the ATV deer rifle and rides on the quad through all rifle seasons. She wears her scars proudly and still drops deer every season.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,260  
I have two 1894's that were worked over by a CAS gunsmith and they are smooth and fast. I can fire 10 rounds in 6 seconds. The "jam" is fixable as bcp posted.