Good day at the range I hear...

I was told that this was a plastic can.

I'd just buy steel myself.
CAN.png

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,824  
Shoot'n .30" out of a .22" size hole?
Nope.

If I were to make an educated guess, couldn't handle the pressure of a 5.56

Hypothetically it's kind of weird to watch a can fly downrange. You can read about, just different from what I've been told actually seeing it. Don't get many "holy shi*" moments at the "range" is what I've been told.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,826  
I suppose the tax stamp flies with the can..?
If I die before my wife, she'll have a good/bad moment on what I actually spent for tax stamps over the years.

I'm a law abiding citizen, what can I say?

As long as we live in NC, one of my best buddies handles my guns because my wife wouldn't have a clue (and she has told me as much and is grateful for our friend).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,827  
So, I'm kinda working on what might be a crazy, stupid, or hair brained idea. I am wanting to make heavy paper .50 cal shot cups, for a CVA muzzleloader. I've seen guys shooting raw shot in rifled barrels with what I would call poor patterns. My throught is, a fairly heavy (double grocery bag maybe) full walled, maybe cork or double cardboard base wad, and say 400ish grs (11/16 to 7/8 oz) of shot, over 60-80 grs (volume) no4 or no5 shot. I would think the paper(maybe waxed for lube) would not fully engage rifling, and reduce spin dispersion? Looked some online, but not really found any info.

Gonna work on turning a brass 0.505 ID cylinder, and a 0.495 OD rod, as a kinda forming jig to make a couple shot cups.
Are you looking to keep the shot away from the rifling? Maybe a shot cup intended for loading steel shotshells. Some of those are solid plastic cups (and fairly thick to protect older barrels from the steel shot). If you just want to seal the shot column away from the powder charge, you could do an "over powder" card wad, followed by a felt shot wad to cushion the shot column from the powder charge.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,828  
Are you looking to keep the shot away from the rifling? Maybe a shot cup intended for loading steel shotshells. Some of those are solid plastic cups (and fairly thick to protect older barrels from the steel shot). If you just want to seal the shot column away from the powder charge, you could do an "over powder" card wad, followed by a felt shot wad to cushion the shot column from the powder charge.
The best Google searching I did in about 10 or 15 minutes didn't show any .50 cal commercial shot cups. The purpose of the cup is twofold; avoid fouling up the rifling with shot impacts; and also, to avoid (as much as possible) imparting the spin to the shot column, which makes it spread faster. I saw a very short description once of using basically a cheese cloth baggy of shot in rifled muzzleloaders, but I don't think they ever discussed what the end results really ended up as.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,829  
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,830  
So, I'm kinda working on what might be a crazy, stupid, or hair brained idea. I am wanting to make heavy paper .50 cal shot cups, for a CVA muzzleloader. I've seen guys shooting raw shot in rifled barrels with what I would call poor patterns. My throught is, a fairly heavy (double grocery bag maybe) full walled, maybe cork or double cardboard base wad, and say 400ish grs (11/16 to 7/8 oz) of shot, over 60-80 grs (volume) no4 or no5 shot. I would think the paper(maybe waxed for lube) would not fully engage rifling, and reduce spin dispersion? Looked some online, but not really found any info.

Gonna work on turning a brass 0.505 ID cylinder, and a 0.495 OD rod, as a kinda forming jig to make a couple shot cups.

Since most “standard” paper is .003-.004 thick you might need a two step process where you use a “rough” (thinner) forming rod with more clearance to allow the sides of the cup to pass between the walls of the cylinder and the rod and then follow up with the larger rod to get a nicer finished cup.