TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,701  
Lyman VLD chamfer and deburr tool works great on SRP pockets, if your only doing a few dozen.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,702  
Never been overly excited about the 5.7's but I've always been an M&P guy. This new 5.7 M&P has me pretty curious. Chepest 5.7 ammo around looks like about $0.80/ea, anyone have a cheaper source?
Fiocchi makes both the American Eagle 5.7 as well as the FN SS series 5.7 in america. However, the specs are different, the American Eagle is glue'd, where the FN is crimped. This results in the bullet falling out of the casing in the American Eagle, causing jams, misfires, etc. So not all 5.7 is created equal. I don't run AE 5.7 ammo, i've exclusively stuck with SS197SR and SS198LF, with a couple boxes of EA S4M for my carry pistol.

I daily carry the Ruger 57 everywhere I go. It's extremely reliable and easy to shoot. It's accuracy is flawless as well. PSA has started developing and releasing their own 5.7 this month. However, I will wait until others have tested it first befor epicking up a few boxes.

5.7 is unique because it's strait walled, allowing 50 rounds to be stacked strait, without needing a curved magazine in the p90. 9mm, 5.56, basically every other round has a slight taper to ensure it doesn't get stuck in the chamber after firing. To account for this, on all the FN ammo there is a very slight coating to ensure feeding and ejection is smooth. As far as I know, no other 5.7 ammo has this feature. Which is why I am extremely hesitant about other ammo for the 5.7.

However, if you look at the ballistics, there's a reason that I trust 5.7 over 9mm for personal protection.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,704  
But you shoot lots of 22 rimfire..
Not anymore

Just use .22 RF for varmints near the house. Cheaper and better accuracy with my PCP .22’s. The Daystate Huntsman is averaging 1/2” groups at 50 yards. That is the main plinking/fun rifle.

Even bought a higher end .177 PCP pistol.

Have a 9mm carbine I need to wring out. If I can get it to group 3” at 100 yards, it will replace the .22 rifle for pest control.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,705  
Not anymore

Just use .22 RF for varmints near the house. Cheaper and better accuracy with my PCP .22’s. The Daystate Huntsman is averaging 1/2” groups at 50 yards. That is the main plinking/fun rifle.

Even bought a higher end .177 PCP pistol.

Have a 9mm carbine I need to wring out. If I can get it to group 3” at 100 yards, it will replace the .22 rifle for pest control.
Sounds like a good plan.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,706  
I dismissed the round long ago.

I will not buy something that cannot be easily reloaded. YMMV.
I don't shoot 5.7 for recreation or hunting, I shoot it for personal defense, because 9mm can't do the things that 5.7 can. If I'm defending my life, using lethal force, I want that force to be as lethal as possible, and I want to have as much capacity as possible. So 23 rounds of 5.7 fits the bill nicely. It's not just me that I'm responsible for, I have a pregnant wife and 2 children that need defended and with how things are going lately, I want as best of a defense as possible.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,707  
I don't shoot 5.7 for recreation or hunting, I shoot it for personal defense, because 9mm can't do the things that 5.7 can. If I'm defending my life, using lethal force, I want that force to be as lethal as possible, and I want to have as much capacity as possible. So 23 rounds of 5.7 fits the bill nicely. It's not just me that I'm responsible for, I have a pregnant wife and 2 children that need defended and with how things are going lately, I want as best of a defense as possible.
Thats why I like my PMR 30, holds 30 rounds of 22 mag in the handle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,708  
Thats why I like my PMR 30, holds 30 rounds of 22 mag in the handle.
I've been wanting to pick one up for critters, my concern about defense is the lack of velocity. Studies say that the primary difference between a rifle and a pistol is nothing more than velocity, and it's why getting hit by a rifle is so much worse than getting hit by a pistol.

The FBI has determined that 2200fps is the magic number, because at that speed, the temporary wound cavity becomes the permeant wound cavity, and you're seeing damage 4-8" from the the bullet path. That's why 5.56, being the size of a .22LR projectile, is considerably more lethal when it's moving at 3000fps.

What makes 5.7 special is the factory ammo out of a 10" barrel is moving at around 2500fps, and 1800fps out of a pistol. So I keep my bedside p90 filled with ss198lf, where my ruger 57 is loaded with EA S4 rounds, which are rated at 2500fps out of a pistol. There's huge variations with different 5.7 ammo.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,709  
"White Elephants" gifted to me last week because they are green in color..

Q: corrosion or lead free, or...?

I might load 5 & test in an older rifle.

Attachments

• 0206231315.jpg
    0206231315.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,710  
I remember some green ones, but dang if I recall which ones. There are also red ones. Not uncommon, very much doubt they are corroded.

Dunno if I have any Win large rifle magnum primers on the shelf, I'll have to go look...

EDITED TO ADD--

Yes, they are normal. I have some on the shelf, they are the same green coloring as your picture.

Use and enjoy.