TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,891  
With some practice using Hornady's OAL gauge, you can get repeatable readings on a dial caliper that are within a couple of thousandths for a particular bullet in a particular rifle. From there, one could adjust the seating die to what you want the OAL to be...in this case, .015" shorter than the max length previously obtained. Seating several bullets followed by subsequent checks with the dial calipers should give you a pretty good indication of how well you just set up your seating die on the press.
If you are not measuring CBTO you aren’t 15 off, OAL is just a fun to know number there’s too much variance in the shoulder of TMKs. SMKs are known to have up to 30 differences within a box.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,892  
Example: H'dy 'COL Tool' and 'modified cases' allow measuring/verifying 'bullet jump' (AKA free-bore) far more easily and accurately than say 'smoking' a bullet. Once one catches onto how simple a 'comparator' works they can use a fired case (per gun!) as a 'gauge' and/or reference for say setting up a sizing die to get max case life if not just accuracy.
Yes…but what about the consistency of bullet ;)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,893  
Not mentioned in grade school:

A 'well regulated militia' has existed since before WW I and is still called the National Guard. (never mind reserve units :unsure:)

btw, IMO politics and semantics are too akin to not parallel marriage in that the biggest squabbles are over the littlest reasons when it's really that nothing is happening.
Lol.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,894  
If you are not measuring CBTO you aren’t 15 off, OAL is just a fun to know number there’s too much variance in the shoulder of TMKs. SMKs are known to have up to 30 differences within a box.
I do know what you mean; but there are issues with CBtO measurements.
First of all, that is a measurement that only works with your comparator, and can't be reused with others.
The other issue is that Ogive measurement on the comparator isn't truly where the lands make contact with the Ogive.
And the main issue, from my stand point; with reloading you can go crazy in a dozen directions; down to bushings, expanders, uniforming primer pockets, bullet sorting, measuring bullet run out, ect ect. Its not that each doesn't actually help, but you can increase your effort/work load 50% for 5% gains pretty easily. Right now, my goal is 0.75" groups; now if I get to the point that I have multiple loads consistently doing that, im sure I will up the requirements, and push for 0.50" groups, ect.

Reloading can be a fairly cheap and simple process; and it can also be rocket science. I prefer to hang out somewhere in the middle, favoring the simple side.

As far as how I got my Max COAL; I took a fired piece of 223; resized only the Neck, cut the neck with a dremel, place a bullet in neck and seat the bullet in the case using bolt closing; pushing the bullet against the rifling to seat the bullet. I then slowly and carefully remove and check. Repeat multiple times. Cost, 1 piece of 223 brass, impact bullet puller and some of your time. My measurement with 75gr TMJ where between 2.3245 and 2.3265 over multiple checks.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,895  
I do know what you mean; but there are issues with CBtO measurements.
First of all, that is a measurement that only works with your comparator, and can't be reused with others.
If you are actually 15 thou off the lands you shouldn't be using those rounds with others anyway...
The other issue is that Ogive measurement on the comparator isn't truly where the lands make contact with the Ogive
I would put a beer down that it is closer than OAL
And the main issue, from my stand point; with reloading you can go crazy in a dozen directions; down to bushings, expanders, uniforming primer pockets, bullet sorting, measuring bullet run out, ect ect. Its not that each doesn't actually help, but you can increase your effort/work load 50% for 5% gains pretty easily. Right now, my goal is 0.75" groups; now if I get to the point that I have multiple loads consistently doing that, im sure I will up the requirements, and push for 0.50" groups, ect.
I concur, same could be said for gizmos on the rifle/scope/bag/tripod. Laws of diminishing returns etc. Here's just a fun data point, all shot same session, same ammo, same etc etc etc, only difference was one was shot how the scope came out of the case the second was shot after focusing and adding the shade. Pretty crazy differences and I didn't believe there could be that much. Some things matter, you never know until you try. Also, this is a gasser so not gonna get much better out of it than the second set of groups.
CACC8EA3-E3A0-4F6B-8F2D-2AC9A5B47750.jpeg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,896  
To try and avert the lock, who's getting one of those new Springfield not a highpower thing?
I actually like the idea of this, but doubt I will be buying one in the near future. I have too many others in line ahead of it, and have a BHP for me and my Daughter so I will probably just drool and pass.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,897  
You're applying your personal experience to the real world (I get it, just as I would).

I'm guessing the movies are not the real world.

I have no doubt you have experience with firearms, but how much experience do you have with prop guns on movie sets?
There is a post where I work that has a weapons system that utilizes less-lethal rounds. A Remington 870 for which there are only pest control rounds and fin stabilized rounds. We have other lethal weapons available, but for that platform only less-lethal rounds are supplied.

Years ago a co-worker made an interesting statement to the fact that the person pulling the trigger of that weapon is responsible for what comes out the barrel, and where that round ends up. His point was that someone could bring in a lethal round for that 870 and slip it in amongst the other rounds in the pipe.

That was a bit of wisdom that stuck in my head.

Even though there are no lethal rounds available for that weapon in that tower, I am still responsible if someone illegally brings one in, slips it in the pipe and I fire it at a person, thinking it is a fin stabilized round.

My fault.

For not checking the weapon and what's in it.

Every time I am in that tower I empty those weapons and reload them myself.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,898  
I may or may not have know someone who wasn’t me who lost most of his first “grown up” front tooth in an incident like that. My dad would have beat the crap out of me if I played those games. I actually had a .44 carbine before I had a BB gun because he didn’t “want me to learn those bad habits” BB guns taught. I didn’t understand back then but he was actually kind of a smart guy.
Same here, No BB guns for me either. I played with the neighbor kids that had them. I got my first .22 rimfire at 12, and later got a pellet gun. He gave the same reason as your dad,

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,899  
There is a post where I work that has a weapons system that utilizes less-lethal rounds. A Remington 870 for which there are only pest control rounds and fin stabilized rounds. We have other lethal weapons available, but for that platform only less-lethal rounds are supplied.

Years ago a co-worker made an interesting statement to the fact that the person pulling the trigger of that weapon is responsible for what comes out the barrel, and where that round ends up. His point was that someone could bring in a lethal round for that 870 and slip it in amongst the other rounds in the pipe.

That was a bit of wisdom that stuck in my head.

Even though there are no lethal rounds available for that weapon in that tower, I am still responsible if someone illegally brings one in, slips it in the pipe and I fire it at a person, thinking it is a fin stabilized round.

My fault.

For not checking the weapon and what's in it.

Every time I am in that tower I empty those weapons and reload them myself.
Are you responsible for what you do or what others do?

As gun owners, we should all know that the person responsible for pulling the trigger "should" be responsible for where the gun was pointed and when the trigger was pulled.

However, and I could be wrong (since I know nothing about the movies), it's the "armorer's" job to ensure gun safety being that people who have the guns on the set know what those weapons are capable of.

Someone picks up a "M4" whatever on a movie set with a 30 round magazine loaded with blanks. However, on the 17 round, a live round was mistakingly inserted in the magazine. Whose responsibility is it that the live round was inserted into the mag?

End of day, on a movie set with a bunch of people who never handle guns on a daily basis, I can't help but think it's the paid armorer's responsibility.

As noted, we're talking about a movie set here. Thinking about it (which this story has made me do), I don't think I'd want to be within a mile of a movie shoot (no pun intended) that uses a lot of guns in the movie. Seems like a walking cluster waiting to happen.

Heck, at our last Christmas party, seemed like the skeet shooters (a bunch of them with shotguns) we're getting way to causal on their gun safety for my own liking that I walked away. And that's with Redneck gun owners LOL

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,900  
F.Y.I. - If you don't want your boys to know anything about their father doing stupid stuff when he was their age:

Then stop posting about stupid stuff...

KC