TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,561  
While I don't live there, I took "prince Andrew" to be his majesty Andrew Cuomo the governor. And the paradise he has tried to create in making NY a "gun free zone".

I wondered, but that makes sense, given Mario thought that he was the king...

Given Sig's hx of having lived in the woods up north-east of here, I thought it was a local reference from there, that we don't use on the lake plains where we'ins live...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,562  
I wondered, but that makes sense, given Mario thought that he was the king...

Given Sig's hx of having lived in the woods up north-east of here, I thought it was a local reference from there, that we don't use on the lake plains where we'ins live...
Whereabouts are you? I'm up in the backwoods northeast of Whiteface about 15 miles...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,563  
Picked up two more Swiss military guns yesterday. A numbers matching K11 carbine(including the numbers matching as-issued bayonet): 1522325125311.jpg1522325140439.jpg1522325153542.jpg1522325173792.jpg
1522325290152.jpg

And a Gewehr 1911(long rifle.) This one is also numbers matching, no bayo though.
1522325256744.jpg1522325276302.jpg

1522325323617.jpg

And my entire collection of Swiss beauties... All in a row. There are a few oddball rifles that I'm still missing from the Swiss straight pull series, like the 1893 Mannlicher, and the 1897 Kadettengewehr, as well as any of the sniper variants(Big bucks,) but this is a fairly complete representation of Swiss lineage from the 1889 Schmidt Rubin to the K31. 1522325517622.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,564  
Whereabouts are you? I'm up in the backwoods northeast of Whiteface about 15 miles...

We live in the lake plains south of Lake Ontario- west of Brockport, north of Batavia, and east of Medina.

Fortunately for when the water table is high, or maybe not if there's a quake someday- time will tell- we live on an uplifted area along the Linden Fault, so at least it's not the in flat boring [flooded] part of the area.

We are on [or in] the northern border of the Byron-Bergen Swamp though, so except for the 2-3 acre part of our property the house is on, the rest is swampish.

Bergen-Byron Swamp - Wikipedia

Those are all beauties!

Do they ever get to go bang?

Not that there's any onus to having and enjoying those beautiful historical pieces for the historical, artistic, and just plain appreciation for fine workmanship- I'm just curious how you choose to see your ownership of them.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,565  

We live in the lake plains south of Lake Ontario- west of Brockport, north of Batavia, and east of Medina.

Fortunately for when the water table is high, or maybe not if there's a quake someday- time will tell- we live on an uplifted area along the Linden Fault, so at least it's not the in flat boring [flooded] part of the area.

We are on [or in] the northern border of the Byron-Bergen Swamp though, so except for the 2-3 acre part of our property the house is on, the rest is swampish.

Bergen-Byron Swamp - Wikipedia

Those are all beauties!

Do they ever get to go bang?

Not that there's any onus to having and enjoying those beautiful historical pieces for the historical, artistic, and just plain appreciation for fine workmanship- I'm just curious how you choose to see your ownership of them.
My wife has an uncle who lives the Greece area. I've been out there a couple times.

Yes, everything I own gets shot. These will be no exception. I haven't taken them out to the range yet, as I just started bringing these in in January. The 1889 needs to have special ammo rolled up for it, as it wasn't built to handle standard 7.5 Swiss pressures. I actually have quite the backlog of guns that need to go to the range. These 5 swiss, two Mosin Nagants(a 91/30 and an M38,) a Yugo M57 Tokarev, a Kahr CT9, and a Heritage Rough Rider 22 that was an add on buy to another purchase. Just because... Oh yeah, and a Yugo M48A is in the mail currently... All over the winter acquisitions...Let's just say, the wife would like me to slow down. As does my wallet...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,566  
Yes, everything I own gets shot. These will be no exception. I haven't taken them out to the range yet, as I just started bringing these in in January. The 1889 needs to have special ammo rolled up for it, as it wasn't built to handle standard 7.5 Swiss pressures.

That's awesome. I'm the same way, a shooter not a collector. I got out of reloading for many years, then was "forced" back in when I could no longer find decent ammo for my '95 Mauser 7x57. I love loading for the older military rifles. They are a joy to shoot, and finding the right load is just fun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,567  
That's awesome. I'm the same way, a shooter not a collector. I got out of reloading for many years, then was "forced" back in when I could no longer find decent ammo for my '95 Mauser 7x57. I love loading for the older military rifles. They are a joy to shoot, and finding the right load is just fun.
I am a little bit of both a collector and a shooter. However, what little I will shoot them(compared to their military service lives,) is not going to affect their collectability anyway. Besides, that's what they were made for! Living history. I would like to get into the Swiss Vetterli rifles, but their original 10.4mm rimfire ammunition is no loner produced. The bolt can be modified to fire a centerfire round, but I(the collector side of me) look upon that as sacrilege, to modify a weapon just to shoot it. So, if they make their way into the collection, it won't be soon. If I was a car guy, I would HAVE to drive it. Otherwise, I see no sense in owning it...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #2,570  
I've been catching up reading this thread from the beginning...really long, but really informative. Thanks for sharing some good info and tips.

My gun time yesterday was building a new backstop for target practice. When I hiked back down hill before dinner to check something, found a skunk digging for food. I always leave the wildlife alone, except when I'm hunting, but this skunk was too close to where I hike with my dog everyday, and I'd been seeing it on my game cam. I was carrying my fairly new Sig P365 and dispatched the skunk with one shot at about 35 feet...didn't step it off as the "aroma" was already strong, although I was upwind. We have very hungry vultures around so expect it to become their food today.

Hope to do some practice shooting today if the weather cooperates.