Today, would you buy an EV vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #331  
Musk seeks to cut 10% of Tesla's workforce. Has Tesla hit its peak demand with orders and new orders are dwindling? That sure was quick, predicted, but quick.
What the story said is he wants to cut management jobs but add to production workers.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #332  
I'd take one, if I was gifted one and it didn't cost me anything. Only good thing I can see is instant heat in the winter.... (toaster grid under the dash)....

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #333  
I'm considering an EV car. Price is a big consideration. Read that GM dropped the price of the Bolt $6000. It doesn't qualify for a federal tax credit because GM has sold their quota of EV vehicles which qualify for the tax credit. I have a feeling it won't be long until all the EV manufacturers hit that wall.
That would be a big selling point for me.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #334  
What the story said is he wants to cut management jobs but add to production workers.
That's a radical approach. Everybody knows that to cut costs you give managers a raise while laying off the people doing the work.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #335  

Depends how you look at it I suppose.

My installation is subsidized by a tax credit on my own personal taxes.

It is a reduction in the exorbitant amount of federal tax I pay for 1 year. Frankly, I don’t agree with many of our federal gov’s expenditures. Maybe, my solar tax credit is shorting some of those, one could dream. (Can we start a discussion on flat tax as well? Or some other means for a huge percentage of freeloaders in this country to not get a free ride paid by others? )

Regardless of the tax credit, they do have paybacks or ROI, mine was less than 6 years at installation, but getting shorter quickly now due to the increase in electricity cost. (50% increase in rate in past month 9.5 to 14.5)

Always funny those who can’t accept an option, EV, solar energy or whatever. Has to be a ‘greeny’ and not seeing the bigger picture. When the bigger picture is often just a calculator, I’m not claiming a environmental saving. I am claiming more $$ in my pocket at the end of the month.

It's a tax credit on your PERSONAL tax return. True. The government incentivized you to take advantage of this tax credit to further their fake "green" agenda. The point is, that you paid a lower marginal tax rate than if you had NOT spent your money as they wanted you to.

I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of tax credits or incentives. I also believe that point-of-use wind and solar make sense, as long as it's not publicly subsidized. Everyone can pay for their own and do their own ROI analysis. But the government has its thumb on the scales - heavily - with subsidies and incentives and credits. All taxpayers have to support those policies.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #336  
The electric grid can't handle going to 25% electric cars, some area's can't handle it now. Electric grid gets something like 78% of it's energy from fossil fuels. Not sure what we are really saving by buying EV's. Tailpipe emissions are lower, but still uses fossil fuels to recharge the batterys. Lots of environmental issues with getting materials for making the batteries. Electric car uses twice the copper as an ICE car. Too often I drive from Maine to Virginia. That is 13 hrs of driving and refueling, an EV would add 3 hrs to that trip. EV's have twice the computers an ICE car has and you need to wait for them to wake up and talk to each other before you can go anywhere. VW has developed a process where they can reclaim 95 or 98% of the materials in an EV drive battery for reuse. I don't remember which it was, either way I found it to be an impressive amount.
If there was a small affordable commuter type EV, I might consider one... but there isn't and nobody is talking about making one.
A local bought a Tesla early 2017. He drives it to Florida every spring. They have a network on one of those ugly screens that you enter a destination and it directs you to the charging station (Tesla network.) We live in central Michigan and the first recharge is Dayton, Ohio. These stations are 480 volt direct current chargers that take about 15 minutes to recharge. He also stays at motels that let you plug in for free. Many of us utilize solar, my average electric bill over the last 3 years is about $13/month (basically the power grid is my battery.) If you own a house, panels go on the roof, it’s that simple. Ev battery upkeep is $1,000 per year and most cost $.04 per mile to operate charging on grid. The Nissan Leaf has been in production for ten years, that’s the cheap car of choice in these parts.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #337  
With many manufacturers now advertising ev, even in trucks (Ford Lightning, CyberTruck, Rivian) would you invest in an EV vehicle? If everything moves to electric, when do you think you would switch to an ev -- or maybe Hybrid. The future of gas and diesel looks questionable.

I bought a new truck in 2021. Things are changing. The V8 engine is almost a thing of the past. When do you think, as you shop for a new vehicle, you will consider EV as your best choice? Will that happen when you want to keep your truck 6-8 years and gas stations might become difficult to find?

Then there are EV tractors.

Just curious. Thought this when looking for a new truck.
Go electric to save out earth from fossil fuels. Then we can build more gas or coal fired electric producing companies to keep our EV things running.
Why not a Flintmobil?

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #338  
It's a tax credit on your PERSONAL tax return. True. The government incentivized you to take advantage of this tax credit to further their fake "green" agenda. The point is, that you paid a lower marginal tax rate than if you had NOT spent your money as they wanted you to.

I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of tax credits or incentives. I also believe that point-of-use wind and solar make sense, as long as it's not publicly subsidized. Everyone can pay for their own and do their own ROI analysis. But the government has its thumb on the scales - heavily - with subsidies and incentives and credits. All taxpayers have to support those policies.
Oil company 2020 “Fossil Fuels” subsidy totaled 5.9 trillion dollars, yes with a T. That calculates to 11.27 million dollars every second of every hour of every day of 2020 we paid these companies. How many windmills that would install you ask? =5.9 trillion dollars would build and install 3,371 complete 1,000 MW wind farms. 5.9 trillion would build and install 1,685,500 windmills. Other than maintenance and inspection and probably replacing a few, that’s 3,371,000 megawatts of free power for about 15 years. Personally I’d rather steer our publicly subsidized dollars towards windmills.

/ Today, would you buy an EV vehicle. #340  
285178991_1162300214546814_7005521480346291889_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.