To tarp or not to tarp

/ To tarp or not to tarp #1  

Popgadget

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I’m out of inside or even covered storage space, so I’ve got to leave my Progressive TD65 15-1/2 foot mower outside for the winter. The side decks fold up neatly, I can pull the front of the PTO input shaft off and store it inside to keep the quick coupler in good shape.
I really want to get a tarp to cover it all, but I wonder if I will be trapping moisture under it.
Seems like it would be better off covered up and shielded from the weather, what do you guys think?

I’m in southeast PA, we get snow, rain and freezing rain for winter weather.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #2  
Much agricultural equipment is stored outside with no serious harm, but then some on this forum consider oxidized paint to be serious harm. If you do tarp it, install the tarp neatly, i.e. so it doesn't billow or flap in the wind. Also leave space, at least a foot or so, around the bottom so air can circulate and hopefully evaporate condensation.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #3  
In freezing temperatures you are not really fighting moisture as long as it was covered when it was completely dry, I cover a couple of implements each winter, quality HD Tarps, in the spring they uncover just the way I covered them, clean without any rust - I normally put a few sheets of bounce with them to keep a the mice / squirrels away. I also spray WD40 on any bare metal - make sure I grease all fittings, oil all the wheels etc. I put 4X4's under them and store on top of crushed stone. Never had any issues doing that...... To me it's no different than storing inside a un-heated shed...

/ To tarp or not to tarp #4  
Much farm equipment ran fine with no paint on it any more. As long as it was greased.

So it get's down to cosmetics and the greatest harm is from the sun, followed by vegetable matter, like leaves and needles. So, I would say YES to a tarp.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #5  
I tarp any of my equipment that is left outside simply to shed any rain water since everyone seems to have place that water pools up. I do leave plenty of room for air to circulate under the edge of the tarp and have never had any problems with moisture.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #6  
Just elevate what you plan to cover to allow airflow underneath and don’t let anything touch the ground, especially when wet. Tarp snugly to prevent any chance of puddling on the tarp. Like others say, leave the edges open for airflow.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #7  
Probably first thing I learned about country living. Keep stuff off the ground. Bear in mind, stuff sinks into the ground over time, so allow for that. Keep it high and dry!

/ To tarp or not to tarp #8  
Any implements with mechanical functions ( chipper, mowers, grapple etc ) are stored under my multi bay carport. This includes my tractor. Those implements without any mechanical function - LPGS, rear blade, single bottom moldboard plow, etc are each on their own pallet - out in the orchard. I do not consider faded paint as damage.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #9  
You just need to decide which implement you like the least and sacrifice it to the outdoor gods of rust, paint and rubber degrade, moisture accumulation, and critterdome. Tarping helps give the critter population a nice place to live.

/ To tarp or not to tarp #10  
I'm a tarper.......My tiller and chipper and mowing decks sit up on skids that sit on concrete blocks/bricks/cap stones etc.......that sit on gravel are tarped. Attachments like plow, pine needle rake, box and rear blade sit on similar skids, but without a tarp. Without further details, following some of the above ideas......it works for me....even my Kubotas and Case have done well under these circumstances.....when not stored in my garage or ShelterLogic.

Cheers,
Mike