To level ground or not

/ To level ground or not #1  

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
I am planning on putting one of the metal carports up to cover my tractor. It will be long enough to cover FEL, tractor and bushog with a few feet overhang in front and back.

The ground slopes slightly from right of photo to left. I plan to put down crushed concrete from my existing driveway pad to the shed. The question is should I
1) build up the low side
2) cut down the heigh side
3) leave it as is and use material to level the area by building up on low side IMG_2617.JPG6807243D-CA0E-4DE0-82F5-93DC5012D0E1.jpgA2029478-3183-4B4C-86C7-430056BB4B84.jpg

I plan to put railroad ties down to prevent wash on the down hill side of both the drive and tractor pad.

Just can’t decide if I should level the ground or just use the crushed concrete to build up the pad area on the low side.

/ To level ground or not #2  
What type of soil are you dealing with?? How is the drainage??
Building up the low side would be ideal, but that means you would have compacted soil on the high side and fill on the low side. The low side fill would tend to settle over time.

/ To level ground or not #3  
....or 4) leave the ground sloped slightly to one side. That is the way I put in my
metal carport (tractor port). I have no pavement, just steel columns on piers. I
do have chipper tailings over the dirt, which I supplement every 5 years or so.

If you use gravel or crushed concrete for a surface, use a plate compactor. It is
amazing how much better the surface will be.

/ To level ground or not #4  
Check with the company doing the install. I just had a lean to added to the side of my barn and the grade sloped away from the barn. When they installed the lean to they just cut the posts longer to account for the grade change keeping the roof pitch the same as my barn.

20171101_140902_resized.jpg

/ To level ground or not
It’s a constant slope from right to left. Shop is on the right side of photos.

I was thinking I would build up the left side and call it good.

The company installing the metal carport will level it when they install. I had them install one this summer and that’s what they did.

They adjusted the height of the poles to make it level.

/ To level ground or not #6  
If it were not temporary, my 'ocd' would not let me put it out of level.:laughing:

/ To level ground or not
If it were not temporary, my 'ocd' would not let me put it out of level.:laughing:

Won’t be temporary.

I am thinking I can build it up with the railroad ties and it be a level pad.