To CAB or NOT

/ To CAB or NOT #11  
I know a few people that claim to like an open station more than a cab but I don’t even think they believe it when they say it.
I'll buck the trend and say that, for my particular usage, I prefer OOS. I'm on and off the machine a hundred times per day (only slight exaggeration), and my yard and work area have a lot of low branches. I'd also have to leave a cabbed tractor outdoors, as my barn could not be reconfigured to the door height required for a cab.

But I know my usage is a lot different than the OP, and if I were in his shoes, I'd probably be leaning toward a cab'd machine.

/ To CAB or NOT #12  
You can guess which one of these dozers I like using better and so would anyone else.
IMG_6237.JPG

/ To CAB or NOT #13  
I bought an open tractor, got tired of freezing in the winter. I bought an aftermarket enclosure and it seems to be a good compromise. I stay warm in the winter, especially if the sun is shining and it is easy to pull the enclosure off in the summer if I want. After the initial install, which took about 2 hrs, it is about 20 min to remove or install. Usually I just pull the doors off and that takes about 2 minutes.

/ To CAB or NOT #14  
What size tractor and what you will be doing with it would be big considerations for me on cab or no cab.

Some concerns with cabs.
Visibility: how much does cab reduce visibility on models you are looking at

Mount and dismount: if on and off a lot is the cab going to be an inconvenience?

Heat: most cabs get hot especially if working tractor very hard. Heat from transmission and sun through windows.

I would suggest sitting on same model with and without cab to get an idea on what you like vs what you may not like.

/ To CAB or NOT #16  
Me no cab exhaust in the face...

I need to weld a pipe on the D5 to get it over the canopy but it comes out with enough velocity that it’s not that bad. That thing burns pretty clean for an old diesel too. The 955 loader that I only owned for about 2 weeks would smother you.

/ To CAB or NOT #18  
As you get older, it seems to get hotter and colder, (hey that rhymes) anyhow you will appreciate the climate controlled cab in in-climate weather, and as far as low tree branches go that"s what they make pole saws for.

/ To CAB or NOT #19  
My first tractor was open, my second and current one has a cab as you can see in my avatar. There are a few advantages to an open station and a ton for cabs. You basically stated all the reasons I got a cab. My main use is snow removal and it is cold and oddly enough, I don't appear to be getting younger.

The advantages to open station are 1. Lower cost 2. Working extensively in the woods is easier/less likely to cause damage and 3. On and off frequently is easier, if that is something you need extensively.

But you will smile ear to ear when you see those bees angrily trying their HULK! SMASH! routine but just bouncing harmlessly off your cab or the blowing snow being OUT THERE as you plow in a Tshirt whilst listening to music.

As for fitting in a garage, the cab units for Kubota are actually about an inch shorter than the ROPS on the open stations, so if one fits, the other will, though you can fold down the ROPS. BTDT and it gets very old very quickly. Just make sure you have at least an 8' garage door, either way.

/ To CAB or NOT #20  
My wife when I was looking at tractors said get the one with the
cab I don't want to see you cutting grass in a dust cloud! I have been
very happy with the cab when the temp is over 100 F nice and cool in
the cab and when the temp is in the teens with wind blowing nice and
warm in the cab also no bugs to mess with or sketters to worry about.
Get the cab while you can enjoy it or kick yourself in the butt latter
when the snow is blowing or the temp & humidity is high and the
sketters are hungry. Remember the add on cabs no A/C and they
are not dust proof

willy