To buy MT357 Cab or not?

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not?
Is your concern with LS and the quality?
No, that was one of the first things I researched, so no concerns about quality. My next concern was local dealer, but spoke with John at RCO up in Spicewood and we talked awhile. He seemed like good guy, and he explained a lot, I love guys that talk and over-explain because that's just like me too (it's not over-explaining to me).

Anyway, my concern was not with RCO, but rather if RCO ever went away, the next closest dealer to me is pretty far. I'm not concerned anymore and I'm convinced LS is on a very good upward trajectory and I even believe one day they will have similar market share as Kubota even. So I have a good chance of another LS dealer popping up I think even if he were to for some reason die in a freak accident and nobody else takes over company, who knows what can happen, but since it wasn't a larger dealer I was a bit more concerned before talking with him.

So that research brought me here, and my biggest concern was the first point in my original statement. I guess it is still plaguing me. Until I pull the trigger and buy, and maybe even after I think I'll always be dreaming of a Deere, but that's more from childhood memories I've determined and nostalgia. It's just hard to disconnect the emotions I get when I look at a Deer vs the logic of LS being the best choice by far.

So I think the guys here have really helped me answer that question and I know it's the best fit for me, I've just gotta go do it!

I'm working on forming up an ag business so I can get it without paying sales tax, waiting my week off work to file that paperwork. Hopefully by end of next week I'll be making a purchase, but it might take more time than that, I haven't looked at how long it takes to get that ag ID for your farm, especially with starting a new business.

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #12  
Small world! I lived in Buda '94-'04. I miss going out to Salt Lick!

Small world! I lived in Buda '94-'04. I miss going out to Salt Lick!
Oh man, now that I've moved further away to Burnet, I never make it out there anymore. I miss that place. It was always busy but since it was so far removed out of the city it was peaceful and relaxing. People keep telling me I have to try several other BBQ places in Austin, but no thanks. I've lived in this area for about 7 years now and I've purposely driven into Austin 0 times. People always tell me how great it must be living so close to Austin but I don't get the appeal. Austin has nothing for me, but some people have fancier taste buds I suppose. To each their own, I don't understand them and they don't understand me, and that's just fine.

I miss the salt lick though! That place was a lot of fun. Now I'm hungry for BBQ and it's 5am and I'm stuck at work for 12 more hours thinking of nothing but BBQ! Thanks a lot!😁

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #14  
No, that was one of the first things I researched, so no concerns about quality. My next concern was local dealer, but spoke with John at RCO up in Spicewood and we talked awhile. He seemed like good guy, and he explained a lot, I love guys that talk and over-explain because that's just like me too (it's not over-explaining to me).

Anyway, my concern was not with RCO, but rather if RCO ever went away, the next closest dealer to me is pretty far. I'm not concerned anymore and I'm convinced LS is on a very good upward trajectory and I even believe one day they will have similar market share as Kubota even. So I have a good chance of another LS dealer popping up I think even if he were to for some reason die in a freak accident and nobody else takes over company, who knows what can happen, but since it wasn't a larger dealer I was a bit more concerned before talking with him.

So that research brought me here, and my biggest concern was the first point in my original statement. I guess it is still plaguing me. Until I pull the trigger and buy, and maybe even after I think I'll always be dreaming of a Deere, but that's more from childhood memories I've determined and nostalgia. It's just hard to disconnect the emotions I get when I look at a Deer vs the logic of LS being the best choice by far.

So I think the guys here have really helped me answer that question and I know it's the best fit for me, I've just gotta go do it!

I'm working on forming up an ag business so I can get it without paying sales tax, waiting my week off work to file that paperwork. Hopefully by end of next week I'll be making a purchase, but it might take more time than that, I haven't looked at how long it takes to get that ag ID for your farm, especially with starting a new business.
I don't think you have to worry about RCO going away any time soon. They opened up their second dealership up in Greenville. John is fantastic! I know 4 people that have bought from them, they take care of their customers for sure! John ALWAYS has the time to speak with his customers and answer any questions, no matter how simple!

Tell John that Ted says hi!

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #15  
I read some place that LS tractors are really expanding and getting more dealerships and they are really selling tractors. When I looked at the LS tractors they really looked like a well made machine. I ordered a Yanmar YT235C because of a couple of items that LS didn't have. I'm old 81 fussy like comfort! Me and shovels don't get along! Also ordered a 60" rotary cutter and a 72" rotary tiller. One nice thing about having a cab you can have outside air or inside air. The cab has filters so will not be bothered with the dust and I will not be covered in dust anymore when I cut the grass.

willy

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #16  
I'm here because yall have experience and I do not. I've kinda got 4 questions I need to work out:
1. For those that have had similar experiences, do you ever get over the love for a prior brand before LS(or any brand, anyone with similar experience can answer this)?
2. The question of HP: I've heard you always buy more HP than you think you need if you can?
3. The question of Cab or not: If you even considered a cab, get one. Many I've heard say nobody has ever regretted buying a cab that thought about it, but many have came back to upgrade to cab model later.
4. Aftermarket Lighting for Cab models?

1. Regarding the first question and my background.
From all I've talked with and researched, I have a very good LS dealer in the area, about 30 minutes away. Deere and Kubota are closer, but I just cannot justify the extra $10,000+ for a similar model with less features that I need (like rear SCVs) vs what would be nice (like Deere having swivel seat, hitch assist etc). Plus the wife hates those colors and she loves the LS blue. It matters a lot to her, even though she admits it makes no sense, she wants to drive the blue one, and we really enjoy doing this life together so want her excited about driving a tractor. It seems stupid, but I'm having a very hard time with this.

I grew up on an all Deere farm in Illinois, never imagining driving anything other than green. I recall as a child spending every spare moment riding the green tractor with Dad, I feel like Deere is a part of my soul. Still to this year, I go back and spend many hours each fall driving the combine or auger wagon around, farming with my brother and Dad and when I look around it's all green. It's really hard to drive past the Deere dealer on my way to the LS tractor dealer. It's hard to explain to someone that isn't coming from a similar experience. The LS tractor blue is pretty and growing on me, but it's more than just a color, it's looking down in the middle of the wheel and seeing that running Deere as opposed to something else, for example. I don't know, I guess I'm asking, to those in similar situation, have you regretted not buying a brand of the past? Does that feeling ever go away as you grow to love you LS tractor, or do you spend your whole life in regret. Most of what the Deere does for me is cause memories, but I'll always have those, it's just hard to separate it up in my mind. What's the future look like for someone like me?

For 2,3: More about what I have planned.
I have 24 acres of beautiful Texas and it's all wooded. It's not normally super humid where I'm at, but it is a lot of long, hot summer days. It's not my full time job, but with my rotating shift work, I have 2 weeks off every 6 weeks where I can do what I want free on my property, so that's a lot of potentially long days outside.

I'm using the tractor for clearing the land from smaller trees, there's not that many huge trees in Central Texas. :) The soil is excellent on that plot, and I am not only clearing for a home-site, ground mount solar, and some other buildings, but also clearing 1-4 acres for some small fields of garlic and other vegetables. One of my first purchases is a woodchipper so as I clear, I can use the chips on some of the trails I'm also making...my wife and I enjoy making lots of trails. There's a lot of undergrowth at spots it's hard to walk through.

So what I'm struggling with is I really only need the extra PTO for the larger woodchipper model I want. I can get a smaller wood chipper that I think I'll still be very happy with, but that's really the only reason I need the 57 HP. Without that, I think I can do with the 47 HP model. It's not a lot of mowing, mostly around the property border where there will be fences and some open spaces and then cutting thick brush where it's too time consuming to do by hand for clearing new trails, so I think a 6' rotary cutter is plenty big, can I do that with 47 hp? Any other reason like a tiller that yall think I would need more HP if I decide to go with the smaller woodchipper? I'll be getting land plane, tiller, and some other tillage equipment, but I don't think those need more HP. I'm not sure what else I'd need extra PTO hp for.

And that leads me to the bit about the Cab. Eventually I'll be doing a fair bit of work outside of the trees after I've cleared it, and I've spent many days outside in Texas where a Cab would allow me to go longer into the evening, sometimes I cannot drink water fast enough to replenish. However, I've heard Cabs are not nice with trees. I'm telling myself I can just be careful, cut path a bit wider and clear the overhead branches so tractor will fit easy. But for those that kinda use a tractor for dual use like this, in forest and in the open, is the tradeoff of fighting the forest worth the cab comfort, or do you find you are happy to not have to deal with a cab in the forest?

Question 4, Lighting
Those that have this series or similar series with cab, how is the lighting at night? Do you think you need aftermarket options or is stock standard good enough? Anyone have any aftermarket options that they love for a cab? What have yall done? Do you add lighting like a light bar at front and rear of tractor or find upgrades to the existing lights and replace them? Just trying to make plans for my budget with what I think I'll need upfront for planning purposes.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

I know I tend to over-explain, but I tried to give those that answer these questions what they would need upfront.
1. I grew up on IH, h and m up to 1086, loved em and lived em. Even mowed with cub cadets. That said, having your wife enjoy the life is FAR more important, Blue it is.
2. Never say never, but, rarely does anyone want a smaller (less HP) tractor.
3. The older I get the more I appreciate heat and air. Unless I couldn't trim trees, or build paths that would accommodate a cab I would get one.
4. There are a few good threads on here about stand alone vs 3pt chippers/splitters. Good points on both sides, read a few and see if they say anything applicable to you.

Having a wife that will piddle around with you is worth repainting the tractor if you have to:)

Best,

ed

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #17  
I seriously considered most brands and wound up buying LS XR4155 which is very similar to the MT357 but a little older version with 2 less horsepower.
I do think John Deere has the nicest cabs in the business, but other than that the LS is practically the same tractor just a different color, same engine.
I wanted a cab and happy to have one but yes there are times when no cab would be nice. With you living in Texas where it’s so hot a cab is definitely what I would recommend.
As far as transmission I chose HST and for my use it’s perfect. Using the front loader or rear snowblower is actually fun with HST. I didn’t buy a radio but might someday. The lights are fine for my use, if I needed better lights I’d most likely add some LED’s , it’s amazing what they can do with lights these days for what seem like pretty reasonable prices.
My LS was $15,000 less than the same size John Deere, John Deere resale value is usually better.

Thanks @Cycledude that price difference is about what I found as well, it's just staggering. I do wonder though, if both brands have the same depreciation amount, it's just that LS starts off at a much lower price point so might seem like they hold their value less, but I haven't done any math on that. One thing I did find though is finding a used LS nearby me with a cab is just not happening. People must gobble those things up fast! That is one point towards Deere, but then again, it's like 34,000 for used 4052R with a cab with 2,000 hrs on it about 3 years old, or for just a little bit more I can buy a brand new LS! I'm not worried about the hours, but for having the peace of mind that I know everything I did to that tractor in greasing and maintenance and how hard I used it, I think it's not even a close comparison.

@dirttoys thanks also for your comments. I'm excited to have my wife out there. I can't wait until I get to teach her how to drive a tractor! We spend a lot of time together outside, but that's about where our interests end. We have a great marriage (11 years), but don't have a lot of common hobbies, so if she likes driving a tractor, I'm all about it! I can't wait!

@Williy thanks also for chiming in, pretty much echos everything I've heard others say too. The older and fussier you get ;), the more you appreciate a cab and if I'm in this for the long haul, it would be great to have a cab as I start to get old[er].

@LS Tractor Owner Yeah, that's the same feedback I keep hearing about RCO and John in particular. It's great to hear one more confirmation of that! I'll tell him you said hi! I came to the same conclusion as you, I don't think I have to worry about them going out of business, but coming into this never hearing about the brand before it was a concern before I spoke with him and got a good feeling. The JD dealer was nice enough, but the salesman was really busy and showed it, they even aren't that big of a dealer. By contrast, I told John I likely wasn't even going to buy for another 6 months (I've since moved up that time table a lot, like this week maybe), but yet he still stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour AFTER his business was closed. He seems like a talker, but he also seems like a guy who cares. Glad to know the feeling I got from him everyone else has as well!

Well, figured I'd update yall in case interested, but I think I'll be taking a different route. I re-visited dealer today and saw the 225S, and had a good long thought about what I wanted vs what I actually needed, and it has everything I need.

The 357HC is something I could have for a long time as my needs grew, and if that was all I considered, it would be the model I'm getting, but the issue is I also need a well, small building and other startup expenses, so buying the bigger tractor really means I have to delay purchases that would allow me to start getting a return on my investment. When I really think hard about it, as much as I want the big tractor, it just wouldn't increase my productivity enough to warrant its' purchase at this point in time.

Thanks again for all your help in deciding things, I'll get that model or whatever its equivalent is one day later when I can really benefit from its productivity, but right now it would just take away too much from other parts of the business. I know yall couldn't know the whole picture of everything and I think everyone had sound advice here, it wasn't wasted. I've learned a lot and it's something I really want to work towards, one day. :)

/ To buy MT357 Cab or not? #20  
I bought 11 acres close to Bastrop about 3 years ago. I bought an xr4150hst no cab from RCO. I get on and off the tractor a lot. I knew that going in and decided against a cab for that reason. I'm glad I didn't get a smaller tractor.