Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas?

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
"Elsie Langford's White Holiday Cake"

I am going to give you a treasured family recipe...Sharn Jean's Mother's recipe for a special kind of cake. It's not fruit cake, and it's not your everyday kind of cake either. Anyone can make it, even me. IT DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS! I use to take it to work and they gobbled it up. I repeat...this is not a fruit cake; don't get the two confused.

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

1 pound of butter

6 eggs

1 pound of white raisins

2 ounce bottle of lemon extract

1 pound of chopped nuts

Cream Butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time; cream. Sift flour once, then measure. Mix flour,

raisins and nuts together & add to creamed batter. Add extract and mix well. Bake at 300 - 325

degrees for one hour or longer in an angel food cake pan. Remove from oven, cool and remove from

pan. Wrap in Saran Wrap, then in aluminum foil. Best if aged at least 30 days before serving.

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #2  
What? No rum in it?:confused3: Just kiddin'.:D It looks like a very good recipe. Do you age it 30 days at room temperature or is it refrigerated/frozen. My wife freezes her banana bread and zucchini bread and they are great when heated in the microwave.

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas?
What? No rum in it?:confused3: Just kiddin'.:D It looks like a very good recipe. Do you age it 30 days at room temperature or is it refrigerated/frozen. My wife freezes her banana bread and zucchini bread and they are great when heated in the microwave.

The only way we ever aged it was at room temp. As for rum, never tried it, but Elsie, being the wife of a Nazarene Preacher didn't have access to rum. I would be willing to bet that rum would would be worth experimenting with; should go well with all that lemon extract.

I might also add, that if you look at the ingredients and the amounts, it soon becomes apparent that this is no light and fluffy kind of cake.

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #4  
My wife makes a similar cake which is a traditional Trinidadian Christmas cake. She soaks raisins and occasionally other fruit in rum for the whole year then adds it to the cake batter. It makes a heavy fruit cake style cake similar to what 2LaneCruzer has posted but with a rummy taste. It can age wrapped in tin foil also and not dry out. Most if not all of the alcohol evaporates during cooking so it isn't an alcoholic cake. I have eaten rum fruit cake that must have been soaked in rum after baking, a large slice would give you a good buzz.

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #5  
I don't think I would be able to age it for 30 days around here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe 30 minutes...................perhaps the only way would be to make 30 batches...and the last one may make it the 30 days...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM cake!!!!!!

Cheers

Roger

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas?
My wife makes a similar cake which is a traditional Trinidadian Christmas cake. She soaks raisins and occasionally other fruit in rum for the whole year then adds it to the cake batter. It makes a heavy fruit cake style cake similar to what 2LaneCruzer has posted but with a rummy taste. It can age wrapped in tin foil also and not dry out. Most if not all of the alcohol evaporates during cooking so it isn't an alcoholic cake. I have eaten rum fruit cake that must have been soaked in rum after baking, a large slice would give you a good buzz.

Wow! Soaking the raisins in rum sounds like a great idea!

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #8  
How can you get tired of fruitcake? There has only been one ever made. It's been re-gifted around the world every year since then (other than the year that somebody using it as a door stop forgot).

/ Tired of Fruit Cake at Christmas? #9  
How can you get tired of fruitcake? There has only been one ever made. It's been re-gifted around the world every year since then (other than the year that somebody using it as a door stop forgot).

When it shows up at your door, send it to me. It just might be the perfect fruit cake I've been seeking for over 50 years. No, I haven't constantly been searching, but I still haven't found an equal to the cake I had 50 years ago in Canada.