Tired Ford 3000 engine......

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine......
Farmwithjunk,

Well, like cars, there are a number of manufacturers. And like cars, a number of options. They make self propeled and tow behind models. I'm not sure about the tow, but I'm sure they're in the $80,000 new. Some open station prob run about $125,000 and I've heard of some in the $200,000 and beyond. Bascially, it's like when you buy a combine.......

There was "rumor" here that a mid 1990's model w/ little hours (less then 3K) was selling for $60,000 here. Usually the big wineries in Cal. buy new and sell their "old" machines.

Here are some sites of manufactuers: (all I can find)
http://www.aghinc.com
Welcome to OXBO International Vineyard & Berry Products
New Holland

Like combines, grape harvesters still rely on the same system to harvest the grapes. Usually as things "improve", it makes it more effecient. A wheat combine of 30 years ago will still harvest just as a new one will. Granted, the new one might not drop as much or is more effecient. Grape harvesters may look a little different, but they all work the same way.

Also, aside from the harvester, you need a way to "collect" the grapes. Usually a tow behind tank behind a tractor. Some used to use bins. And then if you use the "gondola's", you'll need bulk tanks on the trucks...... It's just not the cost of the harvester, but the related stuff.....

Juice grapes, once in production, can average between 8-12 tons per acre. As you are aware, depending on soil conditions,etc. For us here, 6-8 is normal while just a few miles (15) their soil allows 9-12. And we're in WA state (also with a budding wine industry).

And as you are prob. aware, wine grapes can get a lot per ton- I've heard of $600-1200- depending on variety and quality. But usually, the best is to be contracted to grow for a winery.... usually more secure then trying the open market. (Contrast, jucie grapes- Concord and Niagra grapes- are in the $100-200 range.)

If you wanna chat grapes, just IM me your email.....

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine......
Season's DONE!!!!!! Now to take off the belts......