Tire studs - again.

/ Tire studs - again. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Hi all. There are a bunch of threads on this, but I think most of them are quite old, unless I missed one or ten, which is possible. Anyway, after thinking about it for two years or so, and looking at the prices out there and reading about people's experiences, I decided to try myself. In winter, my tractor doesn't get used for much of anything except snow removal. Most of that is pretty light duty, almost all the pushing I do is downhill and the rest is done with the blower. I have about a quarter mile of pretty rough dirt road to keep clear, though the last couple years we have not seen a lot of snow.

Anyway, since my usage is pretty light, barring a nasty winter, and the main problem I have is not pushing snow, but getting back up the hill once I get down to the bottom, and after communicating with tirechain.com and determining that my rear wheels don't have enough clearance for chains, I bought a bunch of Kold Kutter screw in studs. If I were doing any commercial work, I likely would have gotten the MaxiGrips, which are quite a bit more expensive, but surely made to last much longer. Anyway, I researched the actual designed tread depth of my tires at the Titan site, and then allowed for six years' wear (not much there, I don't think) and got the 1/2 inch studs, which I installed yesterday. I took a relatively conservative approach, putting 2 studs on each lug of my R4s in the rear, about 96 in total. I have chains on the front tires, and won't use the machine in 4 wheel drive unless and until we have either ice or snow below it. Probably those that have ag tires have a huge advantage with screw in studs because they can use longer ones. For motorcycles (the actual designed use of the Kold Kutters) they actually put a strip of some kind of rubberized material INSIDE the tire and screw long studs right through the tire. I guess the stuff they put inside seals up the air in the tire so it doesn't leak.

Anyway, I will be updating and reporting on the effectiveness of the studs as the winter wears on. I am very concerned, given the short length, that I might lose some of these, and that would not be a good thing for car tires in the future, so I'll especially be watching for that. The Kold Kutter instructional video mentions that they do not recommend using the studs in the same holes, which is probably not a very big deal for motorcycle riders - their tires don't last long, but for tractor uses who expect a decade, and hopefully much more, out of their tires, it's probably a serious concern. Perhaps the same holes can be reused if a little loctite is added. I didn't use it, though if I see any studs disappearing, I'll likely take the others back out and try it. Don't know how effective it would be on tires, and then there is also the danger that it might be too effective.

My tires are six years old now, and though I'm certainly taking a risk with the screws, it's not the same as if the tires were brand new. Anyway, I hope to report my successes or failures with these studs over the course of the winter.

One little tool that you might find comes in handy with this, and any other similar jobs is a magnetic wrist strap. Holds about a dozen screws securely at a time and prevents spills and the thrills of pickup..

/ Tire studs - again. #2  
It will be interesting to see what you think of them.

/ Tire studs - again. #3  
Wonder how well they stay in, especially when the tires spin.

/ Tire studs - again. #5  
We started using them on some applications after we had good luck with them in the track systems for snow groomers. They have been good so far with about four years. We have had some loss but nominal compared to advantage of wide open travel on roads and other hard surfaces as well as soft going.

/ Tire studs - again. #6  
I just got chains for my JD 5205. It's a 2 wheel drive and I take out a round bale every week - down hill. Last week we got hammered with a huge snowstorm and I was sure glad I had chains. They made all the difference in the world. They weren't cheap though. They were almost $500 for the pair and that didn't include the shipping. Got them at tirechains.com

/ Tire studs - again.
OK, folks. I finally got some seat time over the past week or so with some serious snow. Used both the blower and the back blade, and I have mixed feelings about the studs. First off, when they say they don't help much for traction in the snow, they're probably right. Even on our dirt road with a nice firm packed base, it seems the tires spin pretty much just as easily. The studs just seem to kick out a little spot, and if it's warm enough, they develop a little hill of packed snow around themselves. With chains on the front it's hard to tell if they help at all, but with the front drive disengaged, the little tractor doesn't have much grip at all.

However, it does seem to me, and I can't guarantee this, but it feels that way to me, that they do add some lateral stability when using the back blade. I mostly use the back blade in forward gear to clean small amounts of snow, or the residue from the blower, which is set quite high to avoid the dirt road. It appears that the tractor has less tendency to fishtail away from the direction the blade is angled by the weight of the snow, which was very pronounced in the past. Could be that I've been working with drier, lighter snow, so I'm not 100% sure of this.

In both cases, using more studs might make a big difference, because I used only two studs in each cleat, which is much fewer than can be used if you maxed out the studs.

I have spun the tires plenty and I haven't seen any missing studs yet, though I haven't carefully checked every one, I do look often and have seen no empty places. When I remove them in a few weeks (positive thinking) I'll take a full inventory.

Haven't used the machine on any glare ice yet, so I can't really report on that.

Would love to put chains on the rears, but there isn't enough clearance without putting on wheel spacers which is another pretty big expense.

They do make low-clearance chains for cars, even "cable chains" that actually work quite well, except that they can't be repaired. We used them on mail trucks when I was working and though their traction is less than real chains, they helped a lot and can be driven at relatively high speeds on the roads, and on bare roads for a modest amount of time. Unfortunately, if there are cable chains that fit our rear tires, I wouldn't know how to find them because the tire sizes don't really appear to correspond between car/truck and tractor tires.

/ Tire studs - again.
Well, a couple more small snow storms and I got more seat time. Yesterday when I looked at my tires, I found quite a few studs missing. I think some of the heavier pushing into snow banks with the loader to make little pockets for the back blade to dump some of its load caused more spinning than they could handle.

Will have to do a full inventory when I remove them, but if there are more than a few missing, I probably won't be using them next year. I'm not fond of getting a flat tire, or worse, having someone else get one and blaming it on me..

Might be in the market for a drag-able magnet come spring to try to recover what's out there.. :-(

On a positive note, the studs that are on the tire still seem to be quite sharp. There is wear but not enough to ruin them.

/ Tire studs - again. #9  
You have me thinking about studs, too. I have never seen studs not installed in a tire. How long are they? When one falls out of a tractor tire, is it long enough to pierce a car tire?

/ Tire studs - again.
They come in different lengths for different tires. There is a wide assortment of length of thread, so you have to know the tread depth of your tires, and account for wear. If you have Titan tires, they list all the tread depths on their site. Depending on the depth of tread/ thread length you choose, yes, they could puncture a car tire. Mine are 1/2 inch thread, so they might be able to. If you have ag tires, you'd likely be using longer thread studs. Then again, the longer the thread, the less likely to lose 'em, I would think. I also bought a few 3/8" to try on my Wheel Horse, but never installed them and the snow got too deep to use it anyway. 3/8" is the shortest, and I'm not totally sure they are short enough for that use. Will have to be very cautious about that.

These studs are much more aggressive than the ones found installed on car tires. Again, they are really made for motorcycles on ice, so if you have the funds you might be better off getting the ones that are carbide and made for tractors.