Tire puncturing form orange osage trees

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #11  
Make a controlled burn. Maybe have the local FD use it as a training exercise. Burn the trees and the ground around to get the thorns.

Or, bite the bullet and use tracks or foam-filled tires. Heavier tires would reduce the punctures, but probably will not eliminate them. Good luck.
I would remove trees like Oddball's picture and clean up free if I found some that straight. We have plenty OO trees around here but they are bushy without a central trunk. 1" boards would last the life of 3 stock trailers and still be solid. You might be surprised if you ask around about giving them away. If you have a 10k or larger winch you can use a screw anchor and pair of snatch blocks to uproot several from one position. Once out of ground they can be dragged away with long chain without driving on ground where they stood.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #12  
I have a lot of those thorns in my R4's with no leaks. I use automotive grade slime on 4-wheeler, side by side and lawn mower tires that do leak with those thorns. The slime seals them up with no problems.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #13  
I have a number of Orange Osage Trees that are blocking the sun from my garden. I want to take them down and clear them out. I have a Kubota BX23S with Grapple that I could use after I chain sawed them down. But, I'm afraid of running over the thorns and puncturing the tires for leaks. I've had a number of leaks on my Scags grass cutter from those darn thorns. I've thought about renting a Track steer with grapple, but that is pretty expensive. Also using a Tree Sheer to cut them down.
I am contemplating putting something into the tractor tires like "Multi-seal" before the project.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.
I have R4 tires on the tractor now.
Multi-Seal works awesome for this. Had to put it in every tire on every mower and tractor and havent had a puncture from those stupid thorns since then.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #14  
Putting Multi-seal in your tire prior to to a puncture wont do much for ya ... perhaps foam fill your tire prior to the job but I heard its pretty expensive .... might want to rent the equipment or dealing with the thorns by hand or dealing with the flat afterwards.

Works just fine for me. And its the recommended usage for it..?

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #15  
The best solution I've found for honey locust thorns is a contractor with a D-6 dozer.

While the contractor was here doing a pole barn I had him clear a pasture with several honey locust trees. Knock on wood, I have not had any thorn problems in that pasture and it's been 12 years now.

It might be cheaper to find a dozer contractor vs. renting a CTL (tracked skid steer.)

Ken

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #16  
Works just fine for me. And its the recommended usage for it..?
After researching ''TireJect'' I've notice they advertise it as preventative product as well as fixing punctures you are right ... I wasn't aware of this when I wrote my initial comment. You are saying you had situation(s) where you are 100% sure you had a puncture but it did not leak because of product like these ?? see myself I've had punctures and apply the product with about a 50/50 successful rate therefore I am skeptical about the effectiveness to prevent puncture(s). I am guessing there is multiple variables affecting the effectiveness of these product but if you had success with it then it must work and a thorn is not very big so I guess it could work.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #17  
I have one "thorny" tree - Russian Olive. It's a tree I planted myself - before I realized it had thorns. It's definitely not as thorny as your Osage Orange or Honey Locust. And it's quite a ways away from any traveled area.

Fortunately - it is slowly but surely dying. As the limbs die - I cut them off and leave them lying right at the base of the tree. Every spring I spend a month or more thinning and chipping my pine stands. If there are any limbs at the base of the Russian Olive - I will chip them as I go by.

These chips are blown even further out of the way. The chipper does seem to chip the thorns also.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #18  
After researching ''TireJect'' I've notice they advertise it as preventative product as well as fixing punctures you are right ... I wasn't aware of this when I wrote my initial comment. You are saying you had situation(s) where you are 100% sure you had a puncture but it did not leak because of product like these ?? see myself I've had punctures and apply the product with about a 50/50 successful rate therefore I am skeptical about the effectiveness to prevent puncture(s). I am guessing there is multiple variables affecting the effectiveness of these product but if you had success with it then it must work and a thorn is not very big so I guess it could work.
Are you saying you had 50/50 success with Tireject, OR some other brand?

You can't compare the other brands with Tireject, Tireject is that much better, and it doesn't rot your rims like most other brands do.

SR

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #19  
Are you saying you had 50/50 success with Tireject, OR some other brand?

You can't compare the other brands with Tireject, Tireject is that much better, and it doesn't rot your rims like most other brands do.

SR
other brand... first time time I hear of tireject... alright sound promising I will give it a try.

/ Tire puncturing form orange osage trees #20  
Without looking it up, I think my R4s have an 8 ply rating. No comparison to a lawn tractor tire. I did manage an ugly puncture once-- a deer antler.

Tires are less likely to be punctured when the ground is dry.