Tire pressure (what psi) ??

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #11  
Yep, that's the way I always did it. And if it was a tube type tire, I let all the air out after seating the bead, then added air again before installing the valve core. That was just in case there was a wrinkle anywhere in the tube, it had a chance to straighten itself out.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ??
Ok Dudes... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif,

As the little lady sorta said "Here's the beef"

Straight off the tire, verbatum including the slashes.

<font color="red">"Serious personal injury may result from explosion tire/rim/assembly due to improper mounting never exceed 32 psi when seating beads only specially trained persons should mount tires"</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(I'm not arguing or trying to belabor the point, I'm just displaying what the tire in fact says)

Perhaps it's no more than just legaleze to help protect the manufacturer(s)??

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #13  
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif OK, so you're only going to go to 32 psi to seat the bead, then go on as high as 56 psi to run it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Like I said, I don't claim to know everything, but something just doesn't add up right. Did you also read again how many ply? 2 ply maybe instead of 12? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is it tubeless or tube type? Now you've got me wondering whether it's rated for the higher pressure, but they're saying if the bead doesn't seat by the time you reach 32 psi, it ain't on straight or not on the right kind of wheel, or something like that.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ??
It's a 12 ply as I recall, definately not 2. This thing is like a huge doughnut, very big/fat and round.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #15  
The dialog on bead setting vs operating PSI got me wondering. So, I checked our tires. On the race tires (Toyo Proxes) it's stamped w/ max bead setting pressure of 40 PSI and max operating pressure of 50 PSI. On our passenger wagon, the numbers are 35 PSI for bead setting, and 51 PSI for operating maximum. It would seem that at least in road tires, the bead setting pressure limit is lower than the operational maximum.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #16  
Hmmm, I haven't worked in the tire business for the past 13 years and, as with many things, it does change and my little bit of knowledge becomes obsolete. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I just went out and looked at the tires on our minivan and they show the maximum weight carrying capacity at 44 psi and to not exceed 40 psi to seat the bead. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I can only guess that if the bead hasn't popped into place by that time, you need to stop and see what's wrong, but if it has seated, then you can go on up with the pressure.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #17  
I guess one can't argue with the facts, for sure. Now I gotta watch and see how the tire mechanics do it in the real world.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #18  
I'm usually backwards, but the object of the debate here actually makes sense to me. A psi LOWER than standard running psi used to set the bead is a safety issue.

Until the tire is properly seated on the bead the pressure on the sidewall is NOT uniform. In the case of a properly seated tire, the rim is an integral part of the container and actively supports the sidewall. During the seating process the tire is actually riding at an angle over the bead greatly increasing the stress on the tire making it unable to safely contain a higher air pressure.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #19  
I was installing a very small tractor tire a couple weeks ago. Something in the 8.50 range. The max psi on the sidewall is 28. I inflated it 'till the bead seated. Turned it all around to verify and found that the backside was not quite right. As if the tire wall was off to the side by a 1/4". That part of the tire that was 'into' the rim was okay, but the part that was 'past' where it should be looked like it was ready give way! THis at only 20 psi! Let the air out and punched the tire back down and the second time was a charm. Never saw that happen before. I can sure understand the need for checking at a lower psi, now! Never knew about that until this thread. Thanks for the heads-up.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #20  
Hi
I have found using baby powder around the bead and rim makes it slide right on. i use the powder to coat the tube also if i put one in a tire. I seen it used on discovery wings one time when they were installing tires on a home built plane.

charlie.