Tire pressure (what psi) ??

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #21  
Using the powder on a tube is an old trick that's been around a long time, but I don't recall every seeing anyone use it on the tire bead, although I don't know why not. I thing soapy water is generally used for that, although I've seen grease used also.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #22  
I've worked in the automotive field most of my life, (ok, I'm only 33) and I've always heard two primary reasons for limiting the pressure when seating beads. The first reason was to limit the amount of potential energy in case the bead slips off of the rim. Think of how you lever the last bit of tire onto the rim when doing it the old fashioned way, with tire irons. It's possible for this to happen in reverse when filling the tire with air, the bead can slip and come off if not properly positioned, and obviously you don't want that to happen when you have 80psi in the tire. The point is if the beads haven't seated by the time you hit 30 psi or so, something is wrong and you need to correct it and try again.

The second reason usually given involves the amount of force that is applied to the rim when the bead finally pops into place. Anyone that has seen a low profile tire mounted has probably heard the loud pop when the bead seats. It's sometimes loud enough to make your ears ring. This force is like a large hammer hitting the rim. The theory is that, especially with aluminum rims, this force can be high enough to damage the rim, even enough to cause the rim to catastrophically fail and allow the tire to fly off and injure or kill. This has often been compared to a split-ring rim failure, which has killed many, many people over the years.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #23  
Oh yeah! That baby powder trick's been around for a LONG time, all right! For the rim, though, I was told to use a light coating of antifreeze. It has just a minor amount of slickery and is easy to wipe clean so bead sealer sticks better. Baby powder is almost like lamp black. A little goes a long way!

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #24  
Must be some lawyer thing, on the tire pressure, like the cages they put split rims in when changing tires. We used to stand on the ring to prevent it from jumping up and hitting us in the face.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We used to stand on the ring to prevent it from jumping up and hitting us in the face. )</font>

You may have stood on the ring but you didn't prevent it from doing anything. You're just lucky that one didn't come off while you were standing on it.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You may have stood on the ring but you didn't prevent it from doing anything. )</font>

I'm afraid you're right, although it was perhaps a tiny bit safer than not standing on it. I started working on those things before we ever heard of cages. There was a time when we left the tire and wheel laying on the floor with the ring down, aired it from the top (or back side), add a little air, pick it up, tap on the ring all the way around in hopes of being sure it was well seated, add a little more air, tap on the ring again, etc. Then sometimes we did about the same thing, but with the tire standing up with the ring facing a big post (away from where we were standing). Again, a tiny bit safer than standing in front of, or over, that ring, but only a tiny bit. And then we got smarter and started raising the lift in the grease bay, lay the tire down, and let the rack down on it; just barely touching. Overall, I think you could say I was just lucky; never had one come apart.

And even a cage isn't a guarantee of safety if it isn't securely bolted down to the floor. One of my brothers was airing up a big tubeless tire for a big diesel motorhome a few years ago, and had it in the new cage that Camping World had just gotten. The cage was standing against a wall, but had not yet been bolted down. No split ring or anything to come apart, but the tire was supposed to have 90 psi and it exploded at about 80 psi (later determined by the tire manufacturer to have been a defective tire), blew the cage away from the wall into my brother, knocking him unconscious and several feet back onto the concrete floor. He did regain consciousness before the ambulance got there, and only suffered a concussion.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #27  
My grandpa had a 48' IH PU and my dad had a 53' IH PU. Both had 16" split rim tires. When we had to repair those tires, we laid them on the floor, ring down, with log chain wrapped around the rim to contain it if it ever came loose.

I never saw one come loose but I saw a cage made out of 2" angle that was bowed out from a split rim hitting it once.

Wanna know what hurts? When I was about 15 I was helping in a garage and I was fixing flats. I got careless while airing up a tire and wasn't paying any attention to where my hand was. It was resting on the rim and my index finger was in the way when the bead popped. Now THAT hurt. My finger was there until one of the other guys could let the air out and break the bead again.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #28  
Ouch, Ozarker, I'll bet that hurt as bad as shutting the door on your finger. But at least you usually get it out of the door quickly.

Did those IH pickups have "split rim" or "split ring" wheels? I thought they were split ring wheels, but it's been a long time and I may be wrong. I know that even my 1971 3/4 ton Chevy truck had split ring wheels.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #29  
Split ring...................

I inherited the 53 last year. It's sitting in my backyard waiting for me to fix the brakes so I can sell it to somebody that likes IH trucks and wants to restore it.

Attachments

• 455958-53IH.jpg
    455958-53IH.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 131
   / Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #30  
Richard:

This is out of my owners manual. See attachment. G

Attachments

• 456920-Tire Pressure 70%.jpg
    456920-Tire Pressure 70%.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 158