Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention
I see it. Could someone please drive one over here right now so I can use it to pull my currently buried tractor out of the muck.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #82  
Looking good! Happen to know the company name? The ones in the rear in the triangle configuration look just like the ones I saw demoed on a 4wd pickup but, of course, it had that kind on all four corners. Looks like the mud on the tread has put the unit in overdrive by increasing the effective radius of the force acting to propell the unit. Yet another advantage of HST, you can easily compensate for the effective ratio change as the mud builds up.

I'm jealous of the thing's ability to operate in the soft. I'm such a bad judge of dirt conditions that 4wd is the only reason I haven't had to abandon my tractor and walk, several times. I get into trouble in 2wd then shift to 4wd and RETREAT.

Patrick

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #84  
Yeah, Mattracks, same outfit that did the units for 4wd P/U. Thought they looked familiar. I have their literature for P/U but from an earlier era, a year and a half before I bought a tractor so wasn't too interested in ag aps at the time.

Thanks again,

Patrick

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #85  
No deflation necessary. Line up interior of new “turf tracks” with your 4 tractor ag tires, (tractor ag tire design is male, turf track is female) attach at that point to all 4 tires, lay the rest of the tracks straight behind tractor and reverse over them. As tractor reverses it will pick up the turf tracks till the two ends “meet” at the top of wheel. Tie ends together with whatever connections are supplied and cinch. Then tighten supplied side “tensioners” just as you would with snow chains. It would be ro-ro connectable (rollon/rolloff.) I’m glad someone’s thinking of this as I’d be a customer (if it works) as the alternative to having 4 expensive, separate turf wheels/tires that you put on/take off when needed. The turf tracks could be made in the widths necessary to accomodate most tractors that would be used in turf maintenance, like utility tractors and smaller (the mkt, would be too small for larger tractors.) I imagine the interior of the turf track could be designed in such a way that it could be fitted to a wide range of different ag tires with maybe another design to fit industrial tires - if necessary. I think this idea could work as turf would not present stones, clay or mud that could infiltrate between tire and track and cause damage. If used just on turf or smooth, prepared surfaces these turf tracks could last a really long time and provide a solution for when both mud grip and turf grip are needed in one location.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #86  
No deflation necessary. Line up interior of new “turf tracks” with your 4 tractor ag tires, (tractor ag tire design is male, turf track is female) attach at that point to all 4 tires, lay the rest of the tracks straight behind tractor and reverse over them. As tractor reverses it will pick up the turf tracks till the two ends “meet” at the top of wheel. Tie ends together with whatever connections are supplied and cinch. Then tighten supplied side “tensioners” just as you would with snow chains. It would be ro-ro connectable (rollon/rolloff.) I’m glad someone’s thinking of this as I’d be a customer (if it works) as the alternative to having 4 expensive, separate turf wheels/tires that you put on/take off when needed. The turf tracks could be made in the widths necessary to accomodate most tractors that would be used in turf maintenance, like utility tractors and smaller (the mkt, would be too small for larger tractors.) I imagine the interior of the turf track could be designed in such a way that it could be fitted to a wide range of different ag tires with maybe another design to fit industrial tires - if necessary. I think this idea could work as turf would not present stones, clay or mud that could infiltrate between tire and track and cause damage. If used just on turf or smooth, prepared surfaces these turf tracks could last a really long time and provide a solution for when both mud grip and turf grip are needed in one location.
This is a very old thread that didnt really come to a correct resolution. A fun read I just found due your post. - - PatrickG had a real good insight about the change in drive diameters fouling the system, but did not develop the fact that tracks are doing the driving not wheels. The outer track surface stretching around the wheels causes a take up and give back situation that is not analogous to wheels on the ground. Its a real mind bender. Hayden had it closest. Unfortunately Patrick hasnt been on the forum recently.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #88  
RECENTLY???
Last seen Feb 6, 2005
He was gone before you even got here.
Yeah, Im puzzled. Among others there was an epic thread "Will it take off" That both PatrickG and I participated in. I cant find it.
?????????

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #89  
   / Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #90  
Glennmac, on a 4 wheel- drive machine, changing the diameter of one set of tires dictates doing an EQIUVALENT change to the other set. I assume those tracks (bogies?) would also mess-up the lead/lag on a 4 wheel drive machine. On a skid loader the wheels are the same diameter.

RCH
Not really an issue. nearly all 4WD tractors have some degree of mismatch between the front and rear ratios. Often the fronts are "faster" to "pull" the tractor along.

It's much an engineers choice. Darts at 2 feet!