Tire Choice (R1 or R4)

/ Tire Choice (R1 or R4) #11  
<font color="blue"> for what u describe i would go with the R1 although i have R4 and am happy with them. Rest assured that no matter which one u deceide on at sone time or another u are going to wish u had the other! </font>

Frank I couldn't have said it any better. The grass is always greener on the other side, or is it? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Tire Choice (R1 or R4) #12  
I recently did a lot of work in a little creek full of sand and was really glad I had R4s. The extra floatation kept me from quickly sinking into the deep sand. My neighbor with a smaller Kubota and R1s found out he could not even drive in the sand without getting stuck. I had to pull him out once.

In wet, slick, gummy clay, I don't think anything less than steel tracks is gonna help. I have brand new ag tires on My Ford Jubilee and they fill up with mud too.

I'd say that if most of your jobs require higher flotation, go with the R4s if not, go with the R1s. Neither one of them will protect you from mesquite thorns. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Tire Choice (R1 or R4) #13  
<font color="blue"> Neither one of them will protect you from mesquite thorns. </font>

Thorns how well I remember them. Fond memories of many trips to the tire repair facility to get the many flat tires repaired so that I could finish the day’s work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you have them on the property whatever you get R-1 or R-4 add some type of liquid tire sealant. It will save you a lot of headaches.

/ Tire Choice (R1 or R4) #14  
I have followed this post and did not find mention of Long Bar/Short Bar or other variants of tractor tires mentioned. There are more varieties out there than just R1 and R4. Some have different angles on the bars, etc. Anyone have better info on this ?

/ Tire Choice (R1 or R4) #15  
<font color="green"> In wet, slick, gummy clay, I don't think anything less than steel tracks is gonna help. I have brand new ag tires on My Ford Jubilee and they fill up with mud too. </font>

My experience is that chains are helpful in clay. The chains move around slightly and tend to stay clear enough to get some traction.

- Rick