Traction Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

twinjayhawks

Silver Member
Tractor
Century 3045
We just had 24" of snow and my property has a lot of hills... very tough to get around. Does anyone have any experience with tire chains on their tractors?

/ Tire Chains #2  
I know what you mean, I have Ag tires and still had to use my FEL to get through some of those drifts.

/ Tire Chains #3  
What kind of tires do you have, and which tractor? My place is on a mountainside. I have R-4 industrials on a Branson 4720 gear, and put V-bar chains on front and back this year. Before having the chains, my tractor slid around bad enough to worry me, in spite of or due to it's weight (with front end loader, backhoe, and ballasted tires, it is a heavy package).

With chains, it will go anywhere, and never slides or slips sideways.

I got the V-BAR DUO-GRIP chains from tirechains.com. They have been impressive in mud, ice, and every kind of snow. Nothing has challenged them yet.

/ Tire Chains
I have a Century 3450 with R4 Ag Tires (17.5Lx24). Should I just get the chains for the back tires? How much were yours and how hard are they to get on?
I can't find my tire size for the front... The numbers on the tire don't make sense??? Do you know what I should be looking for on the tire?

Thanks for your help, Darin

/ Tire Chains #5  
I tried running them on the rears only, and the front end slid around more than I liked. The chains on the front have really made it steer and track better.

I plow in 2wd most of the time and occasionally get stuck, but engaging the front axle then has gotten me out each time. All in all, I am much happier with having chains all around, than if I had them only on the back. And front chains are so cheap (you can use truck chains), there is no reason not to have them.

Mine fit the 420/70 R24 rear tires. The rear chains probably weigh around 75 pounds per side. Since I have a backhoe I used the rear stabilizers to raise the back end off the ground, and so it only took me half an hour to install them. I did not install tensioners, and like the way the chains can move and stay out from between the lugs. I think they cost me almost 500 bucks with shipping.

Are you sure about the type of tire you have? R-4s are a wider, shallower lug tire (like the kind that skid loaders and backhoes use) than the "farmer john" deep lug agricultural tires. If you have ag tires, getting chains to fit right is more challenging, and may need some input from a local tractor/tire dealer.

/ Tire Chains
I purchased the V Bar Duo Grip chains today for the front and the back wheels. I will let you know how they work. I will not have them for the snow storm tomorrow but for the next one I should be ready.

Will they tear up a concrete or asphalt drive? They look like they might really dig in. When I get my 1/2 mile drive concreted I was wondering if I need to change to a different chain.

/ Tire Chains #7  
I bet they would do a number on concrete and asphalt. The links are hardened steel, and V-bars are even harder than the links.

I hope I didn't influence you to get something that won't work for you. These are very aggressive chains, and I use them only on snow, ice, mud, and gravel. I don't use them on any form of pavement.

/ Tire Chains
I need aggressive... My driveway goes up a hill of about 100' in elevation change toward the end. It is my dream to concrete the whole thing someday. But for now I need aggressive...

/ Tire Chains #9  
i have a very steep driveway, i bought vbar duro-ladder for my jd 990 14.9x24 ag tires payed with shipping about 700. but it makes a tremendous differance ,the only thing is they are very heavy i have a heck of a time getting them on.

/ Tire Chains
the only thing is they are very heavy i have a heck of a time getting them on.

Do you have any advice or shortcuts you have found for putting on the chains? Mine should be arriving Friday and I have never put on tire chains before.

Also, do the chains damage the tires if the tractor is stored on concrete?