Chains Tire chains?

/ Tire chains? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hi folks:

I was thinking that since I've got the turf tires on my 1418 (and winter is really right around the corner...yuck!), I probably need to think about getting some tire chains so I don't have any difficulty moving snow with the PT (assuming we actually have any this year!). Any suggestions on where/what type/etc. for tire chains? Should I just get whatever size will fit from the local Home Depoot/Lowes? Any advice?

Thx,
Dave

/ Tire chains? #2  
Dave:
As I recall, Bubenberg has said he has moved a lot of snow with turf tires without chains. I'm counting on that with my 1845, because chains would interfere on mine.
Am I recalling right Hans?

/ Tire chains? #3  
PTRich has chains on his PT. Here is a link to a thread where we discussed this. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=119379&Search=true&Forum=powertrac&Words=pt425%20chains&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=91187>click here</A>

Then this is the link to my size tires<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tirechain.com/23X10.50X12.htm>www.tirechain.com/23X10.50X12.htm</A> at tirechains dot com.

/ Tire chains? #4  
I do have tire chains on my PT during the winter. I move a lot of wood in muddy and hilly conditions during the winter (not to mention the snow), and I have a very long gravel drive. I put chains on all four tires, the main reason I put them on is to stop the front of the tractor from walking away from the snow on long straights when the snow piles up. Traction going forward and backwards was fine with just the bar tires but I felt I needed more stability (keeping the front of the tractor where it is supposed to be, I think some folks call it crab walking?). Perhaps you should try no chains first, I don't think you will be in a situation where you can't clear the snow, it just may take a little longer. If you are just using a bucket to clear the snow I don't think you will need them at all.

/ Tire chains? #5  
Dave:
I have had my 422 for 2 winters . We have not had too much snow during that time, but the several snows we have had I have used my 422 with turf tires to move snow from the driveway and also some roads up over the hill with the bucket and also just driving around in snow to see what it would do. I do not think you will need chains unless you get ice, then I would suggest chains.

/ Tire chains? #6  
Dave, I've plowed lots of snow with the large bucket and bar treads; no chains needed.

/ Tire chains? #7  
around here, everything turns to ice, and we have many hills not like in switzerland but enough to slow one down. we clear shopping malls and where i was fighting with the four wheel kubota to clear the side walks up and down hillots the pt performed like a champ.

i am giving away my age, but i have not used chains since the second world war. my experience is based on 26 years in switzerland and one year in jacksonhole, wyoming.

we removed all ag tires of all our equipment, and have not run into any problems yet. WHATCH ME GETTING STUCK NEXT WINTER.

good luck