Tire chains possible on MT357?

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
While looking over the cab version of the MT357 it looks like the rear fenders are very close to the R4 tires. Will tire chains have enough clearance? Dealer stated that R4s don't need chains (I chain up my other tractor in winter with Ag tires) so he was no help there. He also mentioned about just putting chains on the front tires. Any experience with this version LS tractor?

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #2  
Well I have a XR4155 with cab and supposedly part of the rear fender is removable for chains, I’ve never tried removing anything but I don’t need chains.
If I did ever need chains I would probably try front chains first because it just seems like those would be a lot easier to install or remove.

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #3  
I'd say your dealer is full of bull ----,
that said depending on the speed you are going to be going some chains do not need a lot of clearance.
The Euro style such as the Aquiline Talon's
100_4176.JPG

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #4  
My CUT has very little clearance (cannot slip my hand between fender and tire) but I chain anyway.
I've no choice as my drive is on the hilly side.
The solution was to use binders inside and out.
OK, occasionally going downhill flat out a loose link makes contact but nothing serious.
When I hear a contact noise I simply stop and re position a binder hook since the loose cross chain is generally easy to spot.

My DIY binders are HD bungy cord loops on which I've installed a series of "S" hooks.
They've work just fine going on some 8 years or so.

Last edited:
   / Tire chains possible on MT357? #5  
Hey Pete, as you know, the MT3 and my XR41 are pretty much identical. I wear chains all around and dont have issues. See this video on how I install them and what they look like once installed.

There is not a ton of room, but you dont need wheel spacers and I would highly recommend NOT putting chains on the front only. Do the rear only or all 4. I prefer all 4. Hope this helps!

/ Tire chains possible on MT357?
Thanks for the info and video. I really like that you keep some of the issues you come across in the videos. A lot of the time people post things that go 100% positive which is not realistic, at least not for me. The big question I have is that without the chains do you really struggle to use the tractor in the winter? I have a paved driveway so putting chains on is damaging to the driveway and chains and my cement shed floor. Just wondering if I could get around with R4s without chains. Pondering if a snowblower is something I should invest in. Right now I blade all the snow into piles.

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #7  
This is a thread showing how I install my chains,
this is the easiest and fastest method I have found in too many years of mounting tire chains.
Mounting tire chains

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #8  
The big question I have is that without the chains do you really struggle to use the tractor in the winter?

Pondering if a snowblower is something I should invest in. Right now I blade all the snow into piles.

Only speaking of my own experience, I don't need chains on my 357. Folks that deal with more ice probably would need chains. I have a gravel driveway so there's always a packed layer on top of the gravel. I also drive through unplowed fields without issue.

Snow blower, snow push, front or rear blade, or just the loader are all options. I like my loader and rear snow blower.

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #9  
Thanks for the info and video. I really like that you keep some of the issues you come across in the videos. A lot of the time people post things that go 100% positive which is not realistic, at least not for me. The big question I have is that without the chains do you really struggle to use the tractor in the winter? I have a paved driveway so putting chains on is damaging to the driveway and chains and my cement shed floor. Just wondering if I could get around with R4s without chains. Pondering if a snowblower is something I should invest in. Right now I blade all the snow into piles.
I waited a year before getting the chains. The first winter, I wish I had them. But I live on a mountain side, with steep slopes. My driveway is gravel but there is always a layer of ice/compacted snow. Plowing downhill is possible, so long as the back of the tractor doesn't want to outrun the front. Several times I went down my driveway completely sideways! Nothing will suck that seat up quicker than your cheeks when you've lost control heading downhill sideways!

Going back up hill, even without plowing, simply driving up, was near impossible at the steepest part. I'd spin those tires, all four, trying desperately to get any kind of traction. Before the next winter, I had chains. Now, I dont spin. The engine will lug before the tires spin.

I do have (on order) an inverted snow blower. In fact, it should have arrived yesterday, but the tracking shows its in Illinois still. Hopefully this implement will speed up my snow removal tasks.

The chains will damage your concrete and pavement. I have little marks all over my driveway, but if you look closely, you will see the concrete has more issues than simple dimples. When we replace it, I'll stay off it with the chains. People put things down on their concrete, like plywood, to help protect it. Since I will need to drive across the concrete with my tractor and chains I plan to start the tractor, and while its warming up, use my push snow blower to blow the snow off the concrete. Lay down the plywood, and drive across it. Pick up with ply wood again when I'm done. Its more work, but doable.

As for asphalt, you can get chains that dont have the ice spikes. That should minimize wear on the surface. But if you have hills, you'll probably want chains.

Alternatively, look at the different tread patterns. I've heard that there is a 'new' tread pattern that is killer for snow, I just dont know what their called. OR the turf tires are supposedly pretty good. More rubber on the road type of thing. You could probably get a set or rear wheels and tires for a bit extra, then swap them out in the fall and spring between the R4's or the turfs. Just an idea. When I purchased my chains, it was right about $1500 for all 4 shipped. I can't imagine the tires being much more than that.

/ Tire chains possible on MT357? #10  
I done quite a bit of off grid plowing and snowblowing on my gravel roads some very steep . First fill your rear tires i used water and six bottle of antifreeze in each tire and yes chains are a must last make sure your in 4X4 .

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43