Tire chains on front or back of 4x4?

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Headed to Wyoming tomorrow; unfortunately for a funeral. Renting a Tahoe cause me and wife, my dad, and my brother won fit in my truck.

Getting chains just in case to go with 4x4. Forecast for snow friday on Wasatch Front, South Pass, and Thermopolis.

I've never had to chain a 4x4. Do you chain front wheel, or back wheels? Kind of silly question, but I've never need chains before when skiing around Lake Tahoe; 4x4 was enough.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #2  
Rear.

that said, the rental place is going to allow you to chain up???

Better ask about that. You chain up without specific/in writing permission and do damage to the vehicle and your trip is going to get very expensive.

Are you going extremely rural?? If not, the public road system will either be maintained to the point you don't need chains, or it'll be closed and chains won't matter.

Sorry for your loss. Hope the trip goes well.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #3  
You won't need chains on any two lane road or interstate. We do have snowplows here. Nobody chains ups, you would look like a Californian if you did. I've lived here all my life and not once have I ever had to chain up on a paved road. If you have 4x4, that is more than enough.

About the chains and when to do it.

Modern cars and trucks with independent front suspension should never be chained up in the front, only the rear. The chains will destroy the front A arms. Only solid axle trucks should be chained up front. To date that is only Superduties and HD Ram trucks that can run chains.

Chains should be put on the rear with one exception, if your going down hill. Then they should be on the front.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #4  
Won't need them on paved roads just like he said ^^.

When I am in need of chains I usually just put them on the rear if I can get away with it but I do have all 4 and have had to use them on a couple of occasions while hunting.

Definitely going to be chilly though.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #5  
Yup, you won't encounter "chain up" requirements for non-commercial vehicles in WY. They take care of the roads, and you won't have a problem unless there's a blizzard, and then they just close the roads anyway. Plus, as stated above, you don't want to look like a Californian... ;)

Wave at all the ranch trucks. They'll wave at you. It's not strange, it's Wyoming.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #6  
You won't need chains on any two lane road or interstate. We do have snowplows here. Nobody chains ups, you would look like a Californian if you did. I've lived here all my life and not once have I ever had to chain up on a paved road. If you have 4x4, that is more than enough.

About the chains and when to do it.

Modern cars and trucks with independent front suspension should never be chained up in the front, only the rear. The chains will destroy the front A arms. Only solid axle trucks should be chained up front. To date that is only Superduties and HD Ram trucks that can run chains.

Chains should be put on the rear with one exception, if your going down hill. Then they should be on the front.

No but studded snow tire sure did come in handy. Half the idiots in Cheyenne should just stay inside when it snows because they drive really stupid in snow and ice. Same goes for Denver.

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #7  
No but studded snow tire sure did come in handy. Half the idiots in Cheyenne should just stay inside when it snows because they drive really stupid in snow and ice. Same goes for Denver.

I would say that's confidence :D

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4? #9  
I would say that's confidence :D

I'm sure the clown I watched whizzing down an on ramp and slide across four or five lanes of interstate doing pirouettes all the way had all kinds of confidence until he hit the ditch in the center divide. I know I had a confident smile on my face as I drove by him. :laughing:

/ Tire chains on front or back of 4x4?
I, and my parents before me, have always had 4x4; Jeeps, pickups. Never had to chain up. But I've only been in snow around Lake Tahoe and Truckee; chaining up is common there, at least for 2wd vehicles.

Just being overly cautious. That's why I'm asking before we go.