Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Looks like I finally get to install my new tire chains tomorrow, gonna be a big one but its NOT the snow depth Im worried about but the ice everywhere we have now.

This is going to be very interesting LOL, never put the chains on before so I hope installing them goes well.

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #2  
Good luck, make sure you have them tight with bunggie cords and when you first put them on make sure they don't hit anything as they rotate. We are supposed to get about 2 feet as well with with -10 to -15 degree temps with 10-20 mph winds making for windchills in the -30 Deg F range.

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #3  
I have filled tires and 250 lbs of tractor weights plus me, but haven’t had a huge amount of ice under snow. I use a rear blade reversed. Good Luck! I’ve got my van ready to take it to the storm! IMG_6417.JPGIMG_6420.JPG

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #4  
Me two, Ice everywhere here too. 12” - 20” Snow supposed to be “light and fluffy” so icy footing is biggest concern.

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #5  
Me three. After the last storm --when we were supposed to get 3-5" (maybe) and ended up with over 10" of wet stuff here-- and then it quickly turned wicked cold-- I've had a layer of ice on my paved driveway I haven't been able to get rid of. Very disconcerting to have all 4 wheels slowly rotating forward, trying to go uphill... and sliding backward! Just about sick of "wintry mix"!!

Threw on my chains, for only the third time, a week and a half ago... and haven't removed them. Argh. Because my driveway's paved, if we get any sun at all it usually clears itself off... but not this time! Haven't had much sun and the temps have, other than a few brief respites, remained quite cold. Had to pay a guy $55 to come and lay some sand down last Monday, which helped, but with the past few "dustings" a lot of that has been removed now.

Just waiting for the big one later today & Sunday.... at least it's supposed to be only snow this time!

CHAINS!.jpg

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #6  
hey irvingj, those are some wicked tire chains, do the studs do any damage to your concrete floor. I am looking to upgrade my rear tire chains, could you provide me with more information please? The winter ice comes off my driveway about the same time as the frozen lakes near by, about early April. This is what I use to apply sand to my skating rink driveway, MOULTRIE - ATV Spreader – Electronic Feed Gate ( ATV Spreader – Electronic Feed Gate ) that I mount to the receiver hitch on the rear of my weight box. I use bags of play sand from the big box store, but am still in the learning curve of how much to open the gate valve and how much speed to travel in order to apply the sand efficiently and effectively. It's a little pricey, but with the driveway being fully covered with ice all winter I took a chance with this purchase.

Me three. After the last storm --when we were supposed to get 3-5" (maybe) and ended up with over 10" of wet stuff here-- and then it quickly turned wicked cold-- I've had a layer of ice on my paved driveway I haven't been able to get rid of. Very disconcerting to have all 4 wheels slowly rotating forward, trying to go uphill... and sliding backward! Just about sick of "wintry mix"!!

Threw on my chains, for only the third time, a week and a half ago... and haven't removed them. Argh. Because my driveway's paved, if we get any sun at all it usually clears itself off... but not this time! Haven't had much sun and the temps have, other than a few brief respites, remained quite cold. Had to pay a guy $55 to come and lay some sand down last Monday, which helped, but with the past few "dustings" a lot of that has been removed now.

Just waiting for the big one later today & Sunday.... at least it's supposed to be only snow this time!

View attachment 587778

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #7  
The weather this winter has been rough, I'm considering some tire chains I was moving some wood today and after about the 5th or 6th load down into the woods I had a rough time getting back up the slight incline I have on my property. Everything is icy from the rain, and we had a wet snow rain mix today. The hill turned into a sheet of ice nothing worse than four tires spinning to go up and tractor sliding backwards. Even going around bends was a chore today. My last pass I needed a running start to get up the hill which is when I called it. Would chains destroy my yard? Are they that helpful for the problem I'm talking about?

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #8  
MF Red, I got those chains through my dealer quite a few years ago. They're made in Norway and have hardened-steel **** poking out of the links in the center portion. They are VERY effective.

I do see small white marks on my concrete, but certainly nothing I can't live with -- but then I'm careful to move very slowly while on concrete. My paved driveway doesn't seem to mind the chains, but then I don't have them on unless it's icy anyway. With those chains on, 4WD is pretty much not necessary, though I do still use it. Heavy hammer, with these chains, you WILL go up an icy incline! (Steering might be iffy, but the tractor will go.)

For really stubborn areas of ice, I can apply down pressure on the blower's scraper blade (or the FEL, for that matter) and still power along with the front tires 6" off the ground, popping up slabs of ice in the spring. With the chains on the rears, it'll still go.

As far as the lawn areas -- if you don't spin the tires, they shouldn't cause problems. (And they might actually work as aerators...hmmmm....)

Here's the label from the box they came in, along with a better view of the "spikes":

DSC05521.JPGDSC05515.JPG

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #9  
Hey cdaigle430, how did new your tire chains work out for you, good I hope.

Hey irvingj, thanks for the tire chain information, did you have to modify them to install because I did not see our tire size on the box label (26 x 12.0 -12), also did you have enough clearance on the inside or do you think a pair of 1 1/2" wheel spacers would be helpful? Thanks.

/ Tire Chains GC2410 and possible forcasted blizzard #10  
I don't remember if that label was on the box for the front or rear chains. I'll check later on, it's wicked cold out!! I did end up cutting off a few links on the rear chains, but the fronts weren't even close -- they'll have to be modified a lot (cutting to make smaller).

I had had the chains for several years before I ever needed to use them, discovered the fronts were way off (?) and have only used the rears since then, so the size on that label may not be applicable, if it was from the front chains. I think the key here is the "ATV" designation.

It looks like I could stand to cut a bit more off the rears, but for now they work fine if I keep my speed low. No, I did not have to space the wheels out at all, they fit fine -- it's only the extra length dangling that will slap the underside of the fender if I go too fast.

Hope this helps -- ijk