Tire Chain Corrosion

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
I removed my chains today...got to t'inkin. Is there any trick or method of de-salting and oiling the chains prior to storage. I have heard of salt neutralizer, but don't know what it is. Short of hosing them down with WD-40...any suggestions.

If I'm worried for no reason...tell me. They're a pricey item and I'd like them to last a few years.

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #2  
I would think dragging them down to your quarter car wash would knock any salt off them that still remains. A light coat of WD-40 might be in order after they air dry. Then gently fold them up and put them to bed until next season. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #3  
over the last 30 years, we've broken many cross chains, and even a few side chains, but we've never had a set rust out....

just rinse them off, and if your really worried, dry them and give them a coat of light oil ( 10w30 ect.)

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #4  
I hose mine down with WD-40 and let them hang. I've heard of some people leaving their chains in a bucket of used motor oil through the winter. That was a little messy for me.

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #6  
The one at the end of the street only takes quarters although it costs $1.50 for 5 min. wash time

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #7  
Never did any thing but hang tem up out of the way,like it was said theyer not going to rust out.besides i think your more likely to buy a new tractor and need diffrent size chains before any chain is rusted out.

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #8  
The rusted, pitted, surface even ADDS traction on things like ice and wet pavement compared to a set of new, shiny, clean chains!

- Rick

/ Tire Chain Corrosion #9  
I hang mine, pressure wash, air dry and then spray them with a coat of light oil before bagging them for the summer. However, since we have had 16 inches of snow in the last week, I will wait a bit before removing and preserving chains.
Bill